1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take showers downstairs?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 1, 2012.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those who live in stories. To get to the hot water upstairs, you need to move the whole column of cold water that is sitting in the pipes. Over a lifetime that's a lot of filtered water back down the drain.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless of course you have a tankless heater installed near the shower upstairs (Or even a traditional heater installed upstairs for that matter).

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Burritos, you are starting to worry me!
    What if you take a shower in the basement?

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly why I only shower using a tarp that funnels rain water into a pit I have dug in the back yard.

2 people like this.
  6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you take very short showers, the amount of water in the pipe is a pretty small percentage of the water used while showering. Still, there are many things that can be done to minimise the water and heat used. Other than not showering, I mean - you could turn down the water pressure, turn off the water while you soap up, insulate the pipes, use a solar pre-heat system....the showering with a friend idea sounds good, but in my experience, that only uses more water. And energy. :p

1 person likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is your water pressurized? Is upstairs water driven by a different pump than downstairs water?

If not, it doesn't matter.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The instructor for the energy efficiency in building systems class I was taking mentions that at home he has a button that starts a pump that redirects the (too cold) water from the hot water side back to the water heater. He figured it probably doesn't save much energy but at least conserves water.

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably not enough to make up for manufacturing the pump.

10. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to save energy while showering, put the drain plug in (in the heating season). Let water cool down before releasing it.

I once worked the numbers while I was showering, it works out that the heat in shower water will raise the temperature of the air in my house by 8 degrees. (This is not the same as raising the temperature of the whole house.)

1 person likes this.
  11. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Never take a shower alone. Half the water ten times the fun.

1 person likes this.
  12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    953 gallons according to my calculations.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why are you showering with filtered water?

Tom

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think he means that the water is potable and was filtered and treated upstream before entering the house.

It's a bit unfortunate that houses don't have a secondary non-potable (but still somewhat treated) water feed for running toilets, showering, and watering plants.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is why you buy a recirculation pump with a bypass... the pumps have timers... set it up to run in the morning before heavy usage (half hour or so) and at night before heavy usage. this way the pump forces the hot water back into the cold line so your water will be warmer or even hot-ish when you turn it on (depending on where you install the bypass)

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That makes sense, but it's an over generalization. We have municipal water, but it's not filtered. Our water comes out of the ground and goes directly into the water mains.

Other places I've lived used rather extensive processing before the water went into the mains, especially when the source was surface water.

Tom

17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But it is 'drinking' water. Which is a limited commodity, or one that requires energy to produce, or both. It is best to be frugal with it; would you believe that there are actually places where people shit in their drinking water?

It is also well to be wary of what a friend calls 'gizmodification', using a pump that required 5,000 gallons of fresh water to manufacture, in order to save 1,000 gallons of water at home is a losing proposition, even though it looks good because the manufacturing water is hidden.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have showers on the ground floor and in the basement. My water heater is in the basement. I do not know how the pipes are routed. The downstairs shower is physically closer to the water heater (though not by much) but I do not know the length of pipe. I don't know if the two showers have separate pipes to the water heater, or if the pipe runs to one bathroom and then to the other. It seems to take about the same length of time for the water to get hot in either, so it probably doesn't matter which I use. Sometimes I just feel like using one or the other for no particular reason.

I take fairly short showers and turn the water off while soaping up. I do this both to save water and energy, and because it's easier to soap up when the water is not running.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This varies dramatically by location and situation. Some places, every gallon is precious.

Elsewhere, clean gravity fed unfiltered water is almost freely available in finite but more than currently adequate quantities, where every gallon not consumed is dumped directly into saltwater. The primary concern of these customers is to not waste energy heating any more of it than needed.

Without knowing more detail about the local water situation, we can't fairly judge the value of water conservation. My own home water conservation efforts of the past decade were driven by energy conservation, and an unfair (and now abolished) water utility rate structure.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure that displacing the water column is the whole problem. After you displace the water column, you still have to run a lot of water to heat the pipes up. So insulation of the hot water pipes is one fix.

I am most impressed. I might be able to do this calc in my pajamas, but not in the shower.