1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take The Test

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Spunky, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Spunky

Spunky New Member

The Test

You are driving down the road in your Prius on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
    2. An old friend who once saved your life.
    3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?

Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never find your perfect mate again.

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. He said, "I would give the car keys to my old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams."

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations. Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."

HOWEVER…the correct answer is to run the old lady over and put her out of her misery, have sex with the perfect partner on the hood of the car, then drive off with the old friend for a few beers.

God, I just love happy endings!

2. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

This might be true if we were all driving Insights.....

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought we were supposed to take the fox to the other side of the river, come back for a chicken, bring the fox back, pick up the corn, and then bring the fox.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd give them all a ride. If I'm the only one riding in my (future) Prius, there will obviously be room for at least 3 more people. At the very least, I could stuff all 3 of them into the hatch and continue on. :D

5. tag

tag Senior Member

I wouldn't give any of them a ride. I would say that, if I stopped, I would risk being late for work.

Of course, considering this is after working hours, I'd go with the beer answer. :lol:

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Wait, wait -- how fast are you approaching the bus stop? And at what speed is the next bus approaching the bus stop?

Lemme find my slide rule...

7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

If I slowed and went into "stealth" mode, who ever saw me and managed to jump on would get the ride.

However, if they neither heard or saw me, they are all SOL.

But really, it would all depend on the mpg's I could obtain when approaching. :lol:

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lookit.
    The old lady's gonna die anyway.
    My friend will understand.
    I'm picking up my soul mate.

Now I just need to figure out what to tell my wife. :D

9. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Sigh. Seems no one read it all through.

But have a Happy, folks.

10. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I read it all the way through but... while the answer was interesting, it is non-responsive to the question.

The question was "Which one would you choose to offer a ride to?" This implies that you're still driving and can only choose one. I'd conclude that the candidate was filling me w/ a load of crap, and even though I deserved it for asking such an off the wall, non-work related question, I still would NOT have hired that person.

11. jrohland

jrohland Guest

First I don't want to work for a company who's people would ask such an idiotic question.

But the answer is:

I'm not medically trained. Any assement of the old woman's medical condition I might make would be worthless. If she is in obvious distress, I'd call 911.

The old friend is not a current friend. There must be some reason for that. I doubt I want to rekindly what was a previously failed friendship.

Any women who would get into my--a stranger's--car would not be someone I would choose as a soulmate.

Drive on...

However, running over the old women is not a bad strategy except it could damage my car.

Asking to old friend to join in a manage a trois with the potential soulmate would give some idea about how adventuresome the ho be.

jrohland

12. Spunky

Spunky New Member

But would you have gone for a drink with them?

13. Lather

Lather New Member

Can’t you just point at the “Ass, Grass or Cash – No One Rides For Free†sticker and let them fight it out?

There’s no favoritism so it’s politically correct and it maximizes profits. What company wouldn't hire you?