1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking a Dim Vue of Saturn Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hb06, Oct 26, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 26 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]338603[/snapback]</div>
    The Detroit newspapers bash the imports which isn't surprising considering that the American car companies still have 80% of the market here. L.A. newspapers bash the American companies which is also not surprising considering that the American companies have a vastly smaller share of the Californian market. So much for objective journalism eh? :)

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Dec 31 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]368925[/snapback]</div>
    The LA Times is bashing the GM improvised hybrid system because it is a poor design, not because it is made by an American company. The GM system is bolted onto the engine and the power between the motor and the engine is transfered by an exterior drive belt. It is a stretch to find similarity between the GM stop gap design and Honda's vastly superior IMA system.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 31 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]368956[/snapback]</div>
    True, however, I in no way said that the Vue review was GM bashing. I was responding to Jonnycat's reference to whether or not the LA Times would bash the Hond Civic hybrid. You're reacting without thinking there. ;)

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Dec 31 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]369099[/snapback]</div>
    To to contrary. I was thinking very critically when I was writing. Jonnycat26 was clearly implying that the Los Angeles Times critical review of the GM hybrid system consisted of Detroit bashing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 26 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]338603[/snapback]</div>
    You echoed his sentiments with these words:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Dec 31 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]368925[/snapback]</div>
    Your words are quite clear that you consider the Times to engage in Detroit bashing. If you did not mean to second Jonnycat26's sentiments that the Los Angeles Times was bashing American companies, perhaps you need to clarify your thoughts, rewrite your words and provide some examples of what you consider to be Detroit bashing by the Los Angeles Times.

On the other hand, if I misunderstood your intentions, by not comprehending your subtle use of emoticons, I will stand corrected and apologize.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 31 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]369106[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

6. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I won't fault the article, but I will fault a lot of you on this board for constant GM (and Ford) bashing. (You bash Detroit, but let Volkswagen, BMW, Daimler and Hyundai/Kia off the hook! Toyota's trucks and SUV's are less fuel efficient than GM's and Ford's.) The thing about the Vue hybrid is that it doesn't come with a stiff $3k+ price premium like most other hybrids. No, it doesn't have the drivetrain display. I agree that the car should have an instant mileage readout. IMHO, it's not as terrible an effort as the Times says. It's inexpensive for a smaller hybrid SUV. A lot of the parts of the Prius feel cheap with respect to the price of the car. But the article isn't about the Prius, it's about the Vue. IMHO, hybrid SUV's are a bit strange in terms of gasoline savings, but people like them. Personally, I think CVT's suck. (That's just my opinion. I don't think the Prius sucks. No car is perfect, and the Prius is quite good!) The vehicle does shut off the gasoline engine at idle! This cuts emissions. It thought that's what hybrids are all about. The article complains that on a hot day the gas engine will still run to power the A/C. Hehe... I want the author to drive a Prius in Texas during the summer and get back to me.

I'm looking forward to that Aura hybrid as well. As far as the comments about the Saturn Aura, its platform mates (the Chevy Malibu and the Pontiac G6) are recommended by Consumer Reports. Well, not all of them, the Saab 9-3 is another matter. The Saturn Aura hybrid should be interesting to compare to the Camry hybrid, Accord hybrid and (eventually) Altima hybrid. I hope GM extends their hybrids to Chevy (Pontiac, Saab and Cadillac hybrids might be a bit weird, but who knows...) and GMC, too. I hope Ford and Mazda extend their hybrid lines, too. B)