1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking a Gamble?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jordyt, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Jordyt

Jordyt New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all! I just discovered Prius Chat and I think that it is wonderful! I come to you all today asking a very serious question: Should a high-mileage Prius be avoided?

I'm thinking about getting a Prius and have found several 07-09 models located near me that are well priced ($4,700-5,000) and they are all in absolutely stellar shape inside and out. However, I hesitate to jump on one because they are all rather high mileage. They range from 185K-200K. The owners / car lots that these cars are all at state that they are all in great shape and that they are all still getting 45+ MPG and that they are still being used quite regularly.

I'm a college student that is looking for a nice dependable car that will last me through the last year of my undergrad and see me into my travels across the US while completing my master's and PhD work, so I can't afford a huge costly repair such as a battery replacement. If it is any help these cars have all been in southern KY their entire lives, but have all been very well cared for, from the looks of things. The interior on all of them looks like brand new and they all seem to drive quite well.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you might be able to give me! I'm looking to stay in the $5,000 range on a car, as that's what I have to work with and I really don't want to have to take a loan out on something. I'd much rather just pay it all off at once and be done so I don't have bills coming in left and right.

Thank you all!

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Search for an 8 to 10 year old low mileage Toyota Corolla, for your position in life at this time, it is a much better bet.

wwinters, srellim234, xpcman and 2 others like this.
  3. Jordyt

Jordyt New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the dealers is offering a 1 year hybrid battery warranty, as well. Is that generally enough time to see if the battery is going to hold its life much longer? This particular Prius has right at 198K on it.

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree with Munpot42.

College student and then travelling on a tight budget means you don't want to take a bigger chance on a car with high mileage on it. Finding a well maintained car like a Corolla, Echo, Civic, etc. in your price range will serve you better and you don't have the possibility of a hybrid battery replacement.

The more complicated the machine, the more likely something will go wrong over both time and more miles. That doesn't mean it will, just that it's more likely.

xpcman likes this.
  5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem with warranty coverage is that it tends to run out just before I need it. :(

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to ask you punk, do you feel lucky?:cool: welcome to priuschat! i know you want a prius, but you are asking for trouble. get your degree, a job, and a low mile prius. for now, listen to munpot like he's your dad. all the best!(y)

ncases, Jordyt and srellim234 like this.
  7. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmm, I'd be pretty uncomfortable starting out with one that is so well-used. It's not just the HV battery. You also have transaxle, inverter, various ECUs, suspension, steering, multi-function display, and the engine itself that can develop problems and bring your ownership to a stop (or an expensive stumble).

I would also take that money and find a lower-mileage, more basic model. I don't like sedans, myself, so Corollas aren't for me, but I'd take a Scion xA or Toyota Matrix with a 5-speed gearbox.

Jordyt and srellim234 like this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is a very reliable car, but when it breaks, it can be costly ($3000-$5000) to repair. If you do not have that $3 to 5 thousand, it becomes a lump. (As mechanics gain more experience I think more repair can be done but currently most replace entire systems: battery, inverter, transaxle, engine, etc, rather than try to repair them)

In my mind, no one would buy a Prius unless they were going to drive it. I do 30,000 miles a year and am not even close to the most traveled owner (2 fas 4 u does about 150,000 miles a year)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given your circumstances and lack of a repair budget, the answer is yes.

My 2004 has 204K miles on the odometer and is running great. However not all Prius with that odometer reading can be counted on to perform so well. You need to consider the possibility that some portion of those vehicles for sale actually have a significant problem which prompted the prior owner to sell or trade in the car.

I have my own personal plan for dealing with a traction battery failure which probably will not work for you.

As previously suggested, look for a newer, simpler vehicle with a lower odometer reading such as Corolla, Scion, Matrix.