1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking a long trip=Is there a spray for the front end to keep BUGS from sticking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Taking a long trip
    =Is there a spray for the front end to keep BUGS from sticking?

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regular waxing might help some.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ive had good success with pam

Skibob likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Polishing & waxing is what you do to keep a car looking clean... Bugs take very little effort to wash off if you give your car a good cleaning and waxing before the trip, then a quick drive thru car wash when you arrive and ten again wen you get home.

5. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I concur with a good coat of wax. I would do the following: (1) scrub the front of the car thoroughly (any areas that face the wind directly and the hood/mirrors, (2) polish them with a fine cut cleaner/polish, (3) two coats of wax.

For the windshield, a good coat of Rain-X helps keep the bugs from sticking.

Another thing that can help - depending on your schedule, avoid driving at sunset and shortly after sunset. That's maximum bug density.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A real neat trick I learned in the motorcycle world is to drape a sopping wet towel over the windshield and front fairing overnight. Next morning, nearly all the bugs and guts just wipe right off. This assumes the surface is nicely waxed like advised above. Ya' need a really big towel for a car tho'! :p

They fell out of fashion but a car bra works very well for trips; however, they suck if you leave them on a daily driver as dirt/road grime eventually gets trapped underneath and makes for a great rubbing compound. BTDT (n)

7. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That is a good trick. When it's humid outside, I find that dew on the windshield in the morning will provide the same benefit. I carry a squeegee like at a gas station - one side has the scrubber, the other side has the squeegee. Pull it out of the trunk, scrub and dry, and back into the trunk. Even without the squeegee, a few paper towels will clean the window nicely.

8. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jb in NE likes this.
  9. MRTdiver

MRTdiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Some car detailers like to use Schaeffer Citrol 266 Spray to quickly remove bugs. Many like this product the best to easily wipe off bugs from the bumper area.

Like others said use a good wax.
    On the front end of your car I would actually use something like Turtle Wax Seal N Shine or Technicians Choice TEC582 Ceramic Detail Spray. Then would have a can of Citrol spray with a microfiber towel to wipe them off at the end of the trip.

I can't add links to all the products since I'm new here. You can find them on Amazon.