1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking delivery of my ‘23 Yellow Prime XSE Premium on Aug 19!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sarge, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks! :rolleyes: The official name is “maximum yellow”, and I wouldn’t describe it as “metallic” in nature, I don’t think it is more shiny (or have metal flecks or particles) any more than regular paint, if that is what you mean. At least that is my take on it, after seeing it in person once so far… I will have the car on Saturday.

daisy555 likes this.
  2. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very nice - love that yellow and wish we could get it here in the states. Wife and I have decided to pull the trigger on Prime XSE Premium, in Guardian Grey and with the solar roof. Were in Austin and are currently experiencing extreme temperatures and blazing sunshine. We've had 55 days of 100º or higher days this year - not typical. Her commute is within the EV only range of the Prime, and a few miles added each day would be an appreciated range boost. Of course it might be a year before we get a car because no dealers in Austin have had one on their lots that was not pre-sold, and we are going to be very rigid about getting the exact car we want. No changes in color, model or features will be tolerated. We can be very patient. BTW we'll be trading in a very well worn 2010 Prius we got in 2009. The paint is peeling and the radio doesn't work so I don't expect to get more than about $500 for it.

#22 Welshdog, Aug 15, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Congrats! Sounds like you have the perfect application for the Prime. (y)

It really is too bad Toyota can’t produce more of them… though ironically had the pick of two this month, another dealer I had been on the wait list for apparently has a blue XSE Premium coming in at the end of the month, which I have declined as I chose the yellow instead. I assume he has someone else on the list to sell it to (though I lucked out with the yellow one as they had the car coming in without a buyer, so you never know…!), therefore if anyone in southern Ontario is interested in following up on that vehicle, PM me and I can connect you. ;)

Welshdog likes this.
  4. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought of something else: Did you get to actually sit in a 2023 Prime and/or drive it before you ordered it? Neither me or wifey have yet seen any 2023 Prius on the streets of Austin. I know they are being sold, I can see them coming in on the dealer's websites. We are thinking for the first time in our lives, we will be buying a car sight unseen, untouched and un-driven. Crazy.

#24 Welshdog, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I had the chance to sit in a 2023 Prius (non Prime) in February at a car show - and the Prime is identical as far as seat comfort/etc - so I knew I would fit comfortably (I’m 6’2”). The back seat headroom is a bit tight, I can fit if I slouch a bit, but then again I won’t be sitting back there. ;)

Like you though, I did put a deposit before driving one. I did get a chance to test drive MY car this weekend before locking the deal in though. :cool:

If you have driven a previous Prius I am sure you will be thrilled with it, as long as you don’t mind the feeling of it being a bit more “cramped” with the lower roofline, and the view out the back is a bit more restricted… but I am sure I will quickly get use to it and appreciate all the other features & enhancement the car brings. :cool:

I did find the digital mirror difficult to look at when I tried it, as I felt it forces my eyes to focus on a much closer focal length, which feels tough on the brain, lol. I assume that is something I will get used to as well, but it’s easy to flip back to the reflective mirror if preferred. :)

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to test drive it when it comes in before agreeing to buy, right?

Welshdog likes this.
  7. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, in theory - depends on the dealer I guess.

daisy555 likes this.
  8. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

My dealer just called and I can my car today if I want. But I can’t make it up there till Saturday. Even though I’ve been looking for a while this actually feels so quick!

Sarge and daisy555 like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Well, she arrived today! Was sad to let my loyal PiP go, but this car is beautiful. :) Looking forward to many years of smooth, efficient, and spicy motoring! :cool:

IMG_7899.jpeg

10. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Congrats! I love the yellow sporty color!

Maybe you should tell us why you skipped Gen 4 like I did.;)

Btw, I have the same blue color on my 2012 Plug-In.

Sarge likes this.
  11. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

I just love the Yellow. Wish it was an option here.

Sarge and daisy555 like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might be double-edged? Can you picture showing up at Home Depot, dressed in a Tux, with Raquel Welch on your arm? :unsure:

13. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

That would be somewhat macabre as I think she died this year!

Sarge and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey this involved time travel, work with me.

flim and MyPriusMarvin like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats sarge, that is a beautiful color! all the best (y)

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Skipping Gen 4 wasn’t “intentional”, I loved the look of the 17-22 Prime. Life just got in the way… story time:

My original plan was to keep my 06 Gen 2 until the Prime came out, but in May 2016 at almost 400k KM the car needed major repairs - a whole new engine, and facing about a $2k repair bill from my private mechanic. At the same time, the 14 PiP showed up on Autotrader, so I decided to take it and dump the 06, with the plan this would be a stopgap 2-year car until the Prime came out (lol, in hindsight).

Then when the 17 Prime came out, it was only 4 seats. With 2 kids and a dog, I really needed 3 in the back. Lacking CarPlay was another big negative. Also, the 2017 model was never available in Ontario, as Toyota only sold that model year in Quebec & BC as a delayed rollout.

Fast forward to 2020, and those were fixed (woohoo!), but then the world stopped, and to other financial commitments came up that had to take priority over buying a vehicle, particularly since my PiP was still running great.

Then the inventory shortage, etc… then when rumors of Gen 5 came around, I didn’t want to buy outgoing technology again, particularly with how expensive used cars were/are o_O.

So here we are. :cool:

That said, if I had a 2020-2022 Prime right now, I would certainly still be holding on to it… the premium cost to upgrade wouldn’t be justified in my book. YMMV. While the performance and looks of Gen 5 are certainly appreciated, I still think the 20-22 Prime is a very fine vehicle. (y)

Cheers.

flim, daisy555 and Tideland Prius like this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Minor correction: 2017 was only available in Quebec. B.C. didn't receive it until 2018.

Sarge likes this.
  18. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

The solar roof would have been my preference as well but I didn’t see a single one within 100 miles of me ever. Plenty of XSE Premiums but none with that option. I ended up going with the XSE with a glass top roof and 12.3 inch screen. But that solar roof would have absolutely been my preference.

19. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    In the first wave of Prime XSE Premiums the solar roof was on every one from CA to FL. I watched the Toyo Inventory site for months, checking weekly what different parts of the country were getting. Every one that had the Advanced Tech package (which I wanted) had the solar roof. But you're right - today I searched across the country I couldn't find a region that has a Prem with a solar now and the Adv Tech is hit or miss. It was amusing to watch the different models spread across the country from CA. Especially the XSE Prem - in the beginning CA was the only place that had them and a couple of months ago the East coast was awash with XSE Prem and CA had none at all coming in.

I was disappointed because I didn't want the solar - even though I live in FL. I may put a rack on at some point for kayaks and figured that would be harder to do with a fragile solar panel on top. And I didn't think the cost would be worth it in the long run given how much power it generated. I still haven't seen an article that indicated the panel pays for itself in a reasonable time frame.

But to each their own - I bought the highest end model specifically for the driver seat memory function since my wife and I are different heights and hate constantly adjusting the driver seat!

daisy555 and Sarge like this.
  20. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    dupe posting - please delete