1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking my Prius from So Cali to Boston - worth it/?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by motifone, Mar 15, 2018.

1. motifone

motifone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I have a 2012 Prius that I have bought new in here in Southern California back in 2012. It now has about 95,000 miles due to my commuting. It's in reasonably good condition, though probably due for brake work.

I am looking to move to Massachusetts and deciding whether I should have the Prius transported there. The car is paid off, so if I don't take it that means I'll be paying car payments again on something new/used once there. My brother, who lives in Boston, suggest I don't bring it, mostly due to weather & cold... though I suppose I could get tires there.

Anyone have any thoughts given these parameters? Also, any idea what the cost might be for shipping a car cross country, if you've ever done that? Thanks!

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If you had KEPT paying "car payments" into a savings account after it was paid off.......the choice at this point might be a bit more obvious.
    It's never too late to start.

I suggest that driving it there yourself might be a chance for an excellent road trip vacation.

I don't think I would pay someone else to get it there.

milkman44, WilDavis and jerrymildred like this.
  3. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wife drives a 2011 Prius and I drive a 2017 Prius Prime, here in Maine.

We have driven the 2011 out to Missouri a couple times, and 6 or 8 times down to DC.

I can't imagine why anyone would think a Prius was not a good car in New England.

Does your Prius not have a heater?

They handle extremely well in snow and on ice [crossing rivers / lakes].

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a great road trip. And you'll have just about the cleanest 2012 Prius in all of New England. Meanwhile, start making those car payments to yourself like Sam said.

And a Prius is a great car almost anywhere.

WilDavis likes this.
  5. motifone

motifone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been saving for sure, so could certainly make payments on a new car -- I just figure, if the car still runs well and will make due in New England... why buy something new? ;)

I neglected to mention my wife bought a Crosstrek just last year, and that will definitely be coming and our intent was to use that for the road trip. So either way, if I keep the car, it will need to be shipped or driven by someone other than us.

Bay Stater and RMB like this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now, if I was ready to buy a Prime, it would be cool to fly one-way to So. Cal. and drive @motifone's Prius to Boston, buy a new Prime up there, and drive it back to Florida. Anyone in the Southeast up for that if motifone was interested? What a cool road trip that would be!!

Bay Stater and motifone like this.
  7. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wouldn't it make more sense to ship the Crosstrek and drive the Prius? You'd have almost as much room in the car and would get much better gas mileage, plus you would save putting extra miles on the new car.

milkman44, kc5dlo, Bay Stater and 3 others like this.
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My guess is that it will run you between $500 and a grand to "ship".
    Given your new information.....I'd sell it before you move.
    One less thing to worry about.

And a low mileage used is usually a better buy than new.
    That is IF you actually NEED two vehicles.
    A lot of folks on the East Coast rely on public transportation to and from work.
    But I know that's a foreign concept for someone from the "left coast" !!! :ROFLMAO:

motifone likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been driving my prius around boston for 14 years, what does your brother drive? mine drives a 500sl.:rolleyes:

btw, i wouldn't move from cali to boston unless they were making me president of harvard. and even then, i wouldn't be happy about it.:p

all the best!(y)

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the 70's I lived in Colorado and a friend got transferred to New Jersey. No offense to those in the Garden State, but I told him that I'd have quit my job first. LOL!

bisco and motifone like this.
  12. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have 2011 and a 2007 love in upstate ny 90 min from the city. With snow tires that I have that’s all you need.

Bay Stater, bisco and motifone like this.
  13. motifone

motifone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is something to think about for sure. Thanks for the idea.

Bay Stater likes this.
  14. motifone

motifone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did put four new DEFENDER XT 195/65R15 tires on the Prius last May. I think they are considered all weather, maybe average for snow? Could always get another set more appropriate for snow.

Yes, I was born and raised in Boston; then moved out to Southern Cali after college -- so about 20 years in each spot. Biggest reason for going back to Massachusetts is I still have family there and would love to spend more time with them, and let them spend more time with their granddaughter. Expecting culture shock and will be rough for a while, but I'm between jobs and if I want to try this, now's the time :)

15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Michelin Defenders are excellent tires -- had them on my Gen-2. They are not a good snow/ice tire. IMHO the Prius equipped with snow/ice tires is an excellent winter car. Not so much with all season tires.

Sporin and motifone like this.
  16. motifone

motifone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome good to know I'll likely need another set!

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Family is possibly the best reason for a move. Good on ya! (y)

motifone likes this.
  18. TheKracken5

TheKracken5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would second the idea to drive the prius instead of the crosstrek. I have also test driven a crosstreck but I find my prius much roomier and then you wont rack on miles for the subaru. I have made quite a few 2-3k trips in my 2011 in the last year and a half and it has been amazing.

davecook89t and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius drives perfectly fine in Massachusetts! No need to sell. The only recommendation would be to buy a set of snows on steel rims for the Winter. (y)

If you are between jobs, why don't you take a road trip (in the Prius) to Boston. You have the time. As others have said, ship the Subaru, and enjoy the great gas mileage! Good luck with your adventure. Keep us posted. :D

motifone and pilotgrrl like this.
  20. kayak99

kayak99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave a 2009 Prius to our daughter several years ago when we upgraded. Cost me about $1200 to truck from Western PA to San Francisco but we also loaded the car to the hilt with things she left at home when she moved. The trucker wasn't happy about that cargo but we left the drivers area cleared. lol Anyway, ship the vehicle it would cost you the most to drive cross country and drive the other. I'd drive the Prius. Caution about these haulers, which you can google. Most of the people you contract with are just brokers not the actually truckers so make certain everyone is on the same page. Call several brokers & get the best rates. If its a new vehicle you can have it shipped in an enclosed trailer. Costs more but it is what it is. Remember the vehicle will be unloaded at least a couple times as the driver shuffles vehicles for drop off. Make certain the trucker has insurance and, while he watches, take lots of closeup pics of the vehicle, write down the mileage, then examine it closely when delivered. Make certain the delivery window is agreed to (weather excepting). I have had many cars trucked as well as one Delorean, and all were successful.

motifone and pilotgrrl like this.