1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk me down from buyer's remorse ledge!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by planetjeff, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You paid THIRTY THOUSAND dollars for a Prius??!!
    Holy Crap!!! :eek:

OK...so come down off the ledge already. Really.
    I'm not sure who is lying with the numbers these days, but probably the average price for a new car purchase in the US is close to if not over $25,000.
    You paid $5000 more than that...BUT it’s probably a little bit better than its $25,000 counterpart, and you'll probably get back a few thou over what you would have bought otherwise….presuming that it gets less MPG.

Gezample:
    Priuses get 49.1 MPG according to Fuelly.com
    100,000 miles, 49.1-MPG, $4 a gallon = $8146 for a 100,000 mile life cycle. YMMV.
    So......go to fuelly and select what any other model that you were considering would have cost you more to drive over 100,000 miles.

OK...so that's the good news.
    The bad news is that you could have gotten a G3-Two for a lot less, and still realized the savings. Actually, I'm not trying to talk you back up onto the ledge here, but the Two models get a liiiiittle bit more fuel efficiency with their smaller rims/tires.

Again....BFD.
    If you can afford the car, and you like the car....get off the ledge already.
    It's not like you bought a $30,000 Camaro.
    If you can't afford the car....well....you can either feel sorry for yourself or you can shake it off and enjoy the car anyway.
    It's not exactly counter culture these days to have an excessive debt load.

Just look the &*@#! government.... :D

2. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's a pretty good price for a Five with ATP. No Holy crap about that. Folks are paying about 10 grand more for the equivalent PiP.

I will be paying mid 30's for mine, with the upgrades.

iPad ?

3. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2012 BP 5 with tech package? Exact same car I took ownership of exactly a week ago. I have no buyers remorse what-so-ever. I wouldn't trade it in for anything. DRCC, HUD, LEDs. It's BADASS!!

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Even using rosy projections the Prius will not deliver any savings vs another car of similar weight and dimensions for most people ..... this is especially true with those who put few miles on every year.

it is surprising how many of the 35k units they sell

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Meh. So just jump and get it over with - it's the quickest way down from the ledge.

;)

Tom

6. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The grass is always greener...

I was completely new to the Prius game when I went in and bought mine. Not very smart, I know. After looking at all the cars on the lot (about 10 P's), I picked mine because it had the sunroof & BP paint that I thought looked great. I wanted leather & heated seats, and the dealer added those & installed them. We briefly talked about some of the other tech options (HUD, lane assist) and I passed when I learned how much more they added to the bottom line, but later weeks later I caught myself thinking "wouldn't it be nice...". (You do a lot of thinking in a Prius, since you're not boiling red and worried about the traffic around you anymore).

Regardless, I know myself. If I had bought a 4, then I'd wish I had bought a 5. It never ends. But still, I'm very happy with the car, and the most important part is that I get to rub it in when my friends complain about fuel costs (they hate me on Facebook!)

7. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Every time I press the cruise control button and my car automatically matches the speed of the car in front of me a big smile runs across my face and I completely forget about the cost of the car. I love it.

8. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

:mmph:

... I want that! hmmph!

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do have 17" wheel envy when I see a package 5 drive by. I really do like the look of the "hot wheel" rims. Plus the quick ratio steering was lots of fun to drive (on the one test drive I took) and I liked the bright white of the LED's.

But, I drive ~70 miles per day for work and I opted for comfort, better gas mileage, and lower expense of replacement tires over the sporty feel of the 17" tires and quick ratio steering.

However, it is a case where the sensible choice was not necessarily the right choice. If I did it over again, I'd go with the package five.

10. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I want that, AND the solar roof. :D

Solar roof won, since I rarely use cruise control anyway. But... I'd really like to have it...:p

1 person likes this.
  11. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have yet to see an aftermarket wheel as nice as the stock Five's. I'm a sucker for the 5 spoke pattern.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's one reason why I got the Tech Pack. I was debating between that and the Touring model (similar to a 2010 Prius III but with V wheels/LED headlights and fogs). I went with the Tech because it had the SR and PCS/DRCC/APGS as well as bluetooth streaming and my first Toyota nav system (previous and still am a TomTom user). I figured I'll be wishing I had those features and I'm glad I did. As a techie, the top model is fantastic.

13. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    +1

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agree 100%

15. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I went with a 5, I like the most luxury/options I can get. (If I can afford it).

I wanted a 5 a few years back (My first Prius Gen II), all they had was a 4 (I waited a month to see if a 5 would come in). I went with the 4, added leather to the steering wheel, seats and a few other options the 5 had that the 4 did not have. Besides the steering wheel, I hated the after market stuff that was put on, that was a waist of money IMO! Go with what you want and can afford.

It was a 5 this time or nothing!

16. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    even if you don't use cruise, the pre collision system is worth the money. not sure if the OP has ATP or not. I wanna push him off the ledge. one less five on the road makes my V more exclusive.

17. planetjeff

planetjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Gee, thanks. :p Yes, I have ATP - would seem silly to get a five without it!

Actually had a real-world test of the pre-collision system. I was using the DRCC on the highway, and changed to the exit lane. The car I got behind was going a lot slower than I was. With my foot just over the brake just in case, my car started beeping, braked pretty firmly but smoothly, and gently adjusted its speed to the car in front. All without touching the brake!

Now on to blinging it up! Thought these side moldings looked pretty sweet, so I'm looking to get them installed (they're for the RAV4, but are evidently available in Blizzard Pearl): http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/106585-my-new-pip-rav4-side-molding.html

Sweet, huh? :rockon:

18. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Can't wait to dump those fugly things. My buddy wanted to buy them for his CT200h. I won't sell them to him just out of principal and respect for his car. :p

Now the plus package wheels... THOSE are pretty choice. :cool:

19. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "respect of a BMW on the road"? The only thing I see getting any respect are Waste Management garbage trucks. I don't think anyone cares what brand you drive or how much you spent. I think this is a Mercedes/BMW owner mindset.

1 person likes this.
  20. jimmyjam

jimmyjam WE KNOW ITS A PRIUS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT IT IS.

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It truly is the best part of a level 5 .... radar cruise. :rockon: