1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk Me Down ...Thinking of trading Prius for Maxima

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joeyd08, Sep 22, 2010.

1. joeyd08

joeyd08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Gang

Blasphemy I bring unto the chat. I have had my Prius for a few months and it has provided everything as advertised. I am averaging about 49mpg thanks to advice received in here. I have a nicely equipped model w/heated leather seats, bluetooth etc. Actually the only missing option is Nav which never was a need for me. I have found the car very practical but am missing the fun of punching it and and taking off. I traded a BMW for the Prius so I anticipated a major transition. I believe I acclimated pretty quickly to a new way of thinking and approaching the "drive". I have been distracted while reveling in all that is the Prius strong point, gas mileage and by learning to drive it properly. I suddenly have a very impulsive desire to return to the luxury and speed of a Nissan Maxima. I have found a nicely equipped model with the 3.5 liter 255hp engine. I drove it as well as a honda accord hybrid. Surprisingly the Honda cranks out 253hp in the hybrid model. Of course it only averages about 28 mpg but it is a happy median. It is very bland though, nondescript. The Prius at least has a style and statement to it. (and a hell of a lot better gas mileage). I am close to closing a deal for the Maxima and think I am suffering from new toy syndrome. I thought I'd turn to the true Prius crew to bring me down to reality.

I am trying to be practical and remember the difference of $52 a /mo for gas vs $220/mo. Payment is over $100 cheaper as well bringing my savings up to a stout $270/mo ...give or take ten bucks. I am being wooed by plush leather, horsepower, and sporty looks.:cool: Talk me down people. :confused:

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Want vs. Need. Think of how much more to operate the Maxima. Then think of how else you can spend that money on other things (new LCD TV, Retirement saving need, etc..). Compare those to what you will get with the Maxima. Basically, get your priorities straightened out.

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In general I don't buy new cars. To spend same amount of money, I can buy a used higher end car instead of a so so new car.

My favorite used car (other than my 2004 Prius, paid $8000 this year, obviously) is the Lexus LS 430, 2001 - 2006. In my opinion, this car beats most of the luxury cars at only $10000 to start with. Luxury, performance, comfort, reliability and overall quality, you get all at unbelievable price.

Back in 1989, Consumer Report evaluated LS 400, they said this car is so good that they have to raise the whole standard going forward.

I currently own a 1998 Lexus LS 400 bought 3 years ago. At 172K miles and 12 years old age, it still runs like new!

If you want fast car, you can look at Lexus GS 450h 2007+ for under $30K with mileage 50K+. That is a really fast car. Luxury, comfortable, reliable as well.

Good luck balancing your wants and needs.

4. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well...the beauty of the Prius is that even though you might not have THAT much horsepower, you can still punch it and feel confident. As least I do. Then when I want efficiency, it can do that. When I want technology, it does that. Basically, it's almost like comparing an apple and a candy bar. You only live once, so pick wisely, but make sure your happy. Who knows, you might get the Maxima and say "Oh shoot, gas just went back up to $3.50 a gallon...I wish I never got rid of my Prius. Then again, you might love the Maxima and ask yourself why you didn't get it sooner. The choice is yours, and even if you do go with the Maxima, your still welcomed with open arms on PriusChat. :)

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You look at a used 02 or 03 Maxima? That's the only one I recall w/255 hp.

My Prius replaced an 02 Maxima GXE (most minimal model, so no leather) which was the 1st year to include the 3.5L V6 VQ engine. I liked the power and ease of acceleration a LOT. It felt more powerful than my Z (Max has less NVH), even though isn't. I've taken both to the track to drag race and the Z is definitely quicker in the 1/4 mile.

The handling on the Maxima (at least non-SEs) was nothing to write home about. The brakes and handling between my Z were night and day (lousy on the Maxima, in comparison). I'd say the Max handles worse than my Prius since it's too floaty, big and boatlike. If you drove say a BMW 3-series, Z3 or Z4, you will not like the handling of the Max (at least non-SE). I can't speak to the SE, personally.

On the other hand, I really liked the smooth ride of the Max. The Prius is a significant step backwards in ride quality.

From one of my posts elsewhere, when I was living in CA:
    The Maxima also requires premium and still pings a bit with it.

Part of the reason I got rid of the Maxima (despite me still liking the car a lot) is because I used to visit San Francisco a fair amount and would get stuck in stop and go traffic and idling. I just thought it was absurd to be sitting there burning up gasoline and all the wasted energy when braking turning into brake dust + heat. I now hate driving non-hybrids in stop and go driving or idling away in non-hybrids.

You will likely have no warranty at all left on the Max whereas you'd likely still have some warranty, esp. powertrain on your Prius.

I agree w/the "want vs. need" comment. You seem to be going through cars rather quickly. Be careful about putting more $ down the toilet each time. I noticed you mentioned payments. I have no car payments. My Z was paid off in a 3 year loan (even though I way more than enough cash to pay for it in full). My Max and Z were paid for in cash.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think about what else you might do with $3000 per year. But if you want it, go for it! It's only money.

7. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (...It's only money.)
    To me, and most people, money is freedom. :)

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...I can't tell where you are "at".

If you are close to closing the deal on the Maxima- then it's done.

You are all over the place. I tend to think that if after only a few months you are already looking at other vehicles then it's probably inevitable. People could talk you into extending your Prius ownership but how long before you started daydreaming again?

You seem to like your Prius and realize that your desires are impulsive. Well how realistic would it be for you to own 2 cars? If you are talking about just the occasional desire to drive something "fast" or powerful you might be best served keeping the Prius for all the benefits it offers....and think about getting something used and affordable- for moments of "fun".

I hate to recommend to someone consuming more, but I just think you won't keep The Prius if you don't feed your desire for something else. So maybe a frivilous, pure entertainment vehicle might make some type of sense.

Of course that's all based on what you can afford.

If you can only afford one vehicle at a time, then I'm going to say go ahead and make a the change, because if you are already waivering....I think it's inevitable.

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Drive what you want. It's a free world.

But you'll be riddled with guilt everytime you fill up the Nissan! :D

11. ross12_yido

ross12_yido New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    after a toyota prius 2010 blue model keyring but have looked everywhere and cant find it.Im not sure if it even poss but does anyone know of anywhere that may do one?

thanks for any help in advance :)

12. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

For $3000 I think I could put a leather recliner in the Prius.:D

That is what no regular car can duplicate. The Prius may not handle like a race car, but it is a real pleasure to drive. It is completely quiet at any stoplight, and there are no worries about being stuck in traffic because the engine is off while everybody else is burning money. Now if I ever drive something besides a Prius I keep waiting and waiting for the engine to shut off, but keep feeling and hearing that it is running. And of course the MPG of the Prius is unsurpassed.

You might think of a Hymotion kit or even the PICC kit (which is a bit more expensive) if you are really wanting to spend more money. The car will be going on electric almost all the time, and it is completely quiet.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ford Fusion Hybrid has gotten good reviews, including for handling and power.

14. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I came from a 2003 Maxima SE and first hand I'll tell you the handling is not even close to a BMW. It is floaty, however the ride/ comfort/ power is excellent. If you are trying to come close to a BMW performance and want a Japanese car I would look at the Infiniti G sedan.

John

15. hekaterine

hekaterine New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search YouTube for video of a pod of dolphins dying from oil and dispersant in the gulf or look at a photo of an oiled bird; read this about what oil companies have done to the Amazon http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/05/opinion/05herbert.html etc.

I wish I didn't have to buy gas and support these sociopaths at all. Going to a less fuel efficient car is a step backwards, but it's about your values.

16. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are good reasons the Honda Accord hybrid was discontiunued.

17. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can only say you'll be sorry!

I have a 07 Dodge Ram Hemi CrewCab short box 4x4 in the garage with almost 400hp;

and I LOVE my Dodge Rams (had about 7 of them the last 12 years to play with and customize, etc)

and I LOVE driving the two Prius' we just bought. I havent had mine a month yet and have 2k miles on it!

If I had a maxima - Id gladly trade you for your Prius!!!

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't imagine jumping into and out of a car that quickly. I don't make decisions like that. It all seems crazy to me, so I think you are on your own.

Tom

19. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the Fly Audio console unit, you'll have a nicer console touch screen/radio/dvd/USB/mp3/Bluetooth/TomTom NAV than any other car out there. Also will give you more watts of power to the speakers.
    For less than 1k$ installed.

Can't do anything for the lack of horsepower though. I'm content with fast Zero to Something coming out of stops and red lights, faster than most cars.

Mark

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Totally agree w/all of the above, from my experience w/my 02 Maxima GXE and having driven BMWs a number of times. Looking for BMW 3-series or Z3/4 handling on a Max? Forget it.
    Personally, I'd say the Maxima was much more of a pleasure to drive on the highway due to its soft ride, effortless power, low NVH and some other intagibles (or at least hard for me to quantify in words). On the flip side, I agree on the above when it comes to city traffic and stoplights.