1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk to a Cop- The good, bad, and ugly!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Feb 21, 2006.

1. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is that really schmika or are you being silly, maggie :)

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

that's really him, our friendly host and law enforcement officer
    a "WATTS UP" kind of guy ;)

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Schmika -- thanks so much for doing all of this; I'll bet you didn't
    anticipate spending so much time on answers but they're all really
    appreciated. When this thread ramps down, maybe it should be moved
    to the knowledge-base...
    I think I'm not quite understanding why tailgating is a hard
    ticket to write ... I see *so* many blatant violations out on the
    roads. It seems to me that as more dash-top cameras become
    deployed in police cruisers [marked or otherwise], about ten seconds
    of footage from one of them would be all that's really needed.
    Would it still be worth me making some more inquiries around local
    LE, or would their answer be about the same?
    thanx
    _H*

4. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Having worked many years ago in the Cleveland Department I have to say that the above two are major reasons many officers will make the "routine" traffic stop. It's not usually to bust your chops because you drifted that stop sign at 2 am. Its because you may be on your way home from some party and headed for an accident because you are a little too tipsy to be driving. The same goes for criminals going to/from a "job". Cops can "smell" when something isn't right and the easiest way to verify it is with a routine traffic stop. Yes, this can lead to profiling but in a good department their own internal controls will pick this up and those officers will be counseled.

Yes, there are some cops that are real buttheads and think that they are the savior of the human race but they are few and far between. Most are just out there trying to do a good job, in difficult circumstances and keep from getting hurt themselves.

5. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know, I LIKE my job! Just don't tell my boss!

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I would have to see this to totally understand BUT, it is a good rule of thumb that ANY veering off your current road to the left IS a left turn.

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I don't remember posting a drunk driver profile. There are various violations that have different "liklihoods" of being DUI. Big ones are wide turns, weaving, slowing for no apparent reason. Regardless, an officer cannot "stop" you for suspicion of drunk driving w/o some type of traffic violation. Oh, just because you say you weren't weaving, does not mean you weren't. No one is 100% concentrating on the road at all times.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

You prefer to look at it your way. I disagree and I think like a cop. You need some practicality to your theory.

As far as the careless rolling thing, I stand by my experience and training that says if you keep doing something out of habit, then habit takes over.

Yes, it is arbitrary, but because the law says stop completely, then any arbitrary number is OK. "jogging" speed just enables me to get rid of any margin for error.

9. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I like this idea and I support it. Personally, I would just make less officers do traffic enforcement and let the others take the calls and thereby respond faster.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

You are more right than you think. Our performance standards are minimums. They are there for the officers who choose not to do traffic enforcement, The majority of my officers exceed the quota everyday. Good, quality tickets.

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I have already decided that if the violation is of the type that I have given warnings in the past (frequently) then a fellow PC'er gets "professional courtesy".

WHY?...because I can.

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Wow, you sound just like a cop. I could use some allies like you!

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Studies have shown you are incorrect. Simply flashing the speed works. Are you willing to accept things that disrupt your point of view?

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I have two outstanding female officers on my platoon. Yes, women can make great officers. For one thing, I do not have to "curb" their testosterone.

They rarely let their mouths write checks they cannot cash.

Everyone, male or female, does not have the personality/people skills to be an officer. Until we stop thinking stupiod things like the dept. should match the sex/ethnic makeup of a community..we will forever have problems in police work.

Yes, some males still refuse to think females can be good officers. These neanderthals do things like make snide remarks, ask their buddies (male) to back them up when the adjoining car is driven by a female. I don't know how to fix that.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, I posted that picture w/ my dearly beloved.

OMG!!!!!

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I would be supportive of any citizen who constructively endeavored to help us do our job and make the roads safer. Our FOP fought in-car cameras and won. #@%$&&^#@$

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Well, I got off work early tonight because I drive to Columbus tomorrow to attend a 2 day leadership seminar. If they have a business office at the hotel w/ internet, I check in, othersise, have a safe night and see ya saturday.

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I've got agents working undercover in Ohio, spying on cops :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    watch out for maggie's penguins... they are cleverly disguised and stationed everywhere. :p

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK other than in 1966 why was the SHP Officer in Ohio so grumpy while he gave me my driver test, I have this question. I was in the left hand lane on I-5 heading south in a driving rain and trying to avoid the trucks spray in the inside lanes and very slowly overtaking the traffic when a WSHP pulled me over. I was going 60 to 65 mph not faster it was night and the weather was ugly. The officer told me that he was checking me out because I was not passing in the left hand lane. He checked my drivers license, registration and then something weird asked for my wives ID. After checking things out he told me that I could not cruise in the left hand lane but had to be passing. I thought I was passing! I was polite, he went his way, we went ours. The curious thing is that the next day I heard on the radio that the police were looking for a some one who had nearly killed his wife in the area. He was driving a green Explorer. He was caught a day later and convicted and is serving time at Walla Walla. To this day I am wondering if I was pulled over because I was driving a dark green Explorer, despite what I was told. I have to admit that I have spent as much time as anyone cruising in the left lane and passed many many SHP and have never been pulled over. Why could he have said we are looking for a bad guy in a dark green Explorer. OK he looked young, very young, and was polite. To this day I am not sure what the whole thing was about. Oh yes I am a OSU grad go BUCKS