1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk to a Cop- The good, bad, and ugly!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Most "No left turn" rules are put in place because 1) there is a sight restriction for oncoming traffic, or 2) there is haigh potential for blocking cars behind you. Either way, this would mean no left turn here is for anything that would cause you to have to go left of center.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

We have a misunderstanding. I thought you said that machines that just flash the numbers were no good. That is what is incorrect. It is designed to slow the 85% who, BY NOT PAYING ATTENTION, speed. NOTHING, not even cameras, unless tickets are sent out, will slow the 15%'er down. I won't even bring up the 5%'ers who only stop speeding when they die or are put in jail.

The 5%'er are the idiots you described. The 15%'ers are the partial idiots who only remember the cameras for about a week.

You may be falling into the trap of thinking everyone thinks like you. As an officer, I assure you that the VAST majority, if not all, of the PC'ers belong to the 85%'ers (except Squid....)

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Well, I have followed cars for awhile before pulling them over. I run the plate and wait for a return to see if there are wants...this takes a little longer if it is out of state. I want to pull a car over just to "see what is going on", satisfy my boss for number of stops, profile the car for a drug courier, or I am bored (not an all inclusive list). I look for a violation and, not finding one operationally, get closer to look for an equipment violation. This gives me the legal right to stop.

If the officer was really a racist, then you should have received a ticket. I do not understand the claim of DWB when nothing bad happened. I would think a racist cop would find a reason to "make you pay". Just my thoughts. Yes, once you are stopped, many agencies require something in writing to keep stats to fight against racial claims. This is PARTICULARLY the case in New England (this whole racial profiling thing exploded in NJ)

Thanks for asking and thanks for considering the possibility it was not DWB.

HAS DWB (driving while black) existed...YES. Does it still exist...probably. It will never be stamped out until it is exposed to the light of day BY THE LIMITED CLAIMS OF IT UNDER GOOD CIRCUMSTANCES. As long as EVERY stop is claimed to be DWB....the real ones will get lost in the noise.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

It's been a long time since I lived in CT, but I don't recall any such law.

http://www.huskydirect.com/product.asp?PT_ID=61&P_ID=71474 implies anyone can buy one but only out-of-state Huskies fans can use one.

And why pull up close enough to see the driver? I got pulled over once when someone stole my tax stamp (so they could look like they paid their car taxes), no side-on-view required...
    [snapback]215235[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

See, here is a difference in perspective. You are looking FOR a reason it was DWB, I am looking for a reason it wasn't. Before I stop a car, I also like to know how many people are in it and their gender.

In Ohio, frames are OK, but the ones that don't have sticker cutouts are not. Now, I am not going to explain to you the nuances of that, I will just say, I pulled you over because of your frame.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

None so far...only see about one a week.

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

He wouldn't, BUT, the Supreme Court has ruled that if something is illegal in the officers state, he can assume it is illegal in the other state and stop the car. He then must determine if it is indeed illegal. This was out of a one plate state, two plate state case.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. So, say, for the sake of argument that it is illegal in CT. Say I have my car registered in NY (where, say, it isn't illegal) and I drive into CT. Can I be ticketed? How about for the tinting example that someone else gave here?

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they might forget after a week, However, every time you speed the camera lets you know its there. The camera doesn't just take a picture without letting you know... it flashes camera lights at whoever speeds so you know for sure your picture is getting taken. And if the 5% don't stop speeding, you would think they would wise up the next time they get a ticket.. or the next... or the next.... Each ticket gets points added onto your record right? Well then, won't they take away your license? Unless they are truuuully stupid and drive without a license, in which case they should be wiped off this planet :lol:

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I think this is good way to balance an actual offender with a minor offense. Letting people go without any ramifcations creates a bad precedent. However it seems here that the punishment fit the crime so to speak as long as nothing dangerous was involved.

The Son of Sam case in NYC was solved on a traffic violation as was the Okla City bombing. Congratulations to those involved.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're a good guy, Schmika. You care about your job and you have compassion for people. If everyone was like that, your job would be a lot easier. I think that a lot of people don't pay attention to a lot in their lives. It's great that you can maintain your humanity while having to deal, daily, with people who are at their worst.

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now I may have not gotten the wording quite right, as it was about 15 years ago, but I do remember that ticket quite well. It was very clearly expressed to me by the officer that the charge would be reduced (along with the points charged against my licences, which has big insurance ramifications) if I paid the fine by mail. The alternative was also clearly expressed; if I showed up on the court date instead of paying the fine by mail, I would be charged with the full violation and would receive the full points against my license.

Now, I admit I was really speeding. Was I going 52? Who knows. But I was certainly going more than 44, so I didn't really have a leg to stand on. So, in reality, getting the reduced charge was a good thing for me.

But, the flip side was that implication that if I stood up for my rights, and pleaded the case in court, then they were going to beat me with a bigger stick than if I gave up my rights. Sure sounded like extortion to me.

That annoyed me quite a bit at the time. However, the relief of getting the reduced points against my license far outweighed my annoyance, since I did acknoledge that I was indeed guilty of the higher charge.

(Of course, I also acknoledge that this wasn't the officer's doing, but rather the policy of the city or county)

12. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that in most jurisdictions that use speed or red-light cameras, no points can be added to the record because it is difficult to prove who was driving the car. This argument is also used by many opponents of these devices - is the owner of car responsible if someone else is driving the car and gets nabbed by a camera? :(

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/24/say-che...l-in-scottsdal/

it doesnt matter. the point is that they are there, people know, and people will eventually stop speeding so they dont take the risk.

14. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for our response. I think out views on DWB might be slightly different. I should rename it to driving 'while being perceived as a suspicious person without having done anything overtly suspicious'. That way you could include a young white man driving around in a 'known drug location' getting pulled over. I never had a feeling that this particular officer was racist. I have had racist officers pull me over for valid reason, but then it would be my own fault for not checking my headlight. His questioning of my destination before anything else made me feel like he was trying to figure out if I were a NYC to Boston drug runner. The plate thing was like an afterthought to justify the stop. Now I will entertain the idea that my plate was taking a really long time to run. The encounter was just really strage from my perspective. Due to other negative experiences with police officers in the past, being pulled over makes me really uncomfortable. I consider myself to be someone who obeys the law, so if I get pulled over while doing so it upsets me. From my standpoint as a person who does not work in law enforcment I felt that I should not have been stopped unless I comitted a moving violation or had a dangerous condition such as a broken taillight. In the absence of a reason that seems reasonable to me, I start to grasp at straws for reasons so the default one ends up being DWB. From what you have said, if it were a slow night and the cop was bored then he could have pulled me over just to have something to do. I actually found this particular encounter to be funny even though I suspected that it was DWB.

I also never mentioned that the cop was white. I have no doubt that black cops can make an inference that a young black male driving on the highway might be more likely than a middle aged white person to be up to no good. When I use the DWB term I'm thinking more along the lines of the profiling.

I totally understand your viewpoint about limiting the claims. For the record, I have never once filed any complaint but have been verbally abused by officers in the past. I remember my mother calling me in to listen to a news report about a course for young black men to take on how to conduct themselves when pulled over. I still ask permission to open the glove box to get my registration. My goal is not to antagonize the officer in any way.

Like you stated, I do think that DWB existed, at least in the east coast where I have lived all my life. I do get pulled over less now that years ago so perhaps some progress has been made. There really is no easy way to tell. There are good and bad people and police officers are people.

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    omitting key elements such as that you didn't get a ticket, only a warning and the skin color of the police officer comes across to me as misrepresentation. Why would you ommit things like that?

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Sorry I wasn't more clear. No, you can't be ticketed...BUT the officer CAN stop you legally in order to determine if your home state allows it.

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

That is my point....they are truuuuuuly stupid. Losing your license does not prevent you from driving. We arrest DUS out of normal stops several times a day. Wouldn't you think if you were DUS, you would not violate any laws???? They can't help themselves, these 5%'ers.

18. Schmika

Schmika New Member

More detail, Son of Sam got a PARKING TICKET (do I hear some people saying chickensh*T?)

Timothy McVeigh was driving a car with NO LICENSE PLATES.

19. Schmika

Schmika New Member

That is correct in Ohio, it is a civil violation.

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Incorrect, some people will always speed....the risk/cost ratio is good. You can speed daily, for months, and only get causght once.