1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tall Driver 2010/2012 Difference? Also, Grit inside?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ElectricSpike, Dec 19, 2015.

1. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We're shopping for a used Gen3 Prius, and have tried a 2010 and a 2012. My husband is 6'5" and was comfortable in the 2010, while his legs were not as comfortable in the 2012. He couldn't get them at a good height under the wheel.

The 2010 was a model level V so it had leather.
    The 2012 was a model level Three, not III because only 2010 used uppercase roman numerals, so it had cloth.

He adjusted both the seat and the steering wheel in each. The 2012 had a lot of interior grit, like the windows had been left open in a dust storm (we passed on it). I know that there was a slight change in the 2012 year, but the dimensions are the same for front leg room.

Has anyone noticed a difference in leg room between those years (especially for tall drivers)?
    Could it be because of the leather seats? Does that matter for leg room?
    We wonder if grit was keeping the seat on the 2012 from extending back further.

We may go back to look at the 2012 again, and consider extenders. The price has been lowered (this dealer doesn't negotiate - the price is what it is), and at that price point, we could have the seats recovered (strong dog smell inside.)

Last, is there a known reason for tiny grit covering the interior of a Prius? Pretty much everywhere. We know from the records that it was in a town with beaches. If grit is inside the cabin, what could it be doing elsewhere? Should we just avoid that car? Shopping with a tight budget doesn't leave us many choices. Thanks for the advice!

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buying a car is a big investment. If it smells and look like someone neglected the car, stay with your instincts and pass on it. Also if the person or dealer can't even clean the car up before sale, I think that would put up a flag.

ElectricSpike and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about the manual seat incline lever on the side of the seat near the recline lever? I'm 6'5" and don't fit well if the incline lever is pumped up.

Galaxy Note 4 ?

ElectricSpike likes this.
  4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Try to find a 12 and up Prius 4. It has a power seat and may be more comfortable.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, I recall some posting that the power seat used up more space giving the passenger/driver sitting in that seat less.
    But yes, did you use the seat height lever? The power seat has a "button", and the seat moves slowly up or down. The manual seat has a lever you pump up or down. Both are on the left side of the seat bottom.

As far as I know, the leather is just the "seat cover", and is put on the same seat frame. The only difference I'm aware of is the power vs manual seat, though I recall seeing "7 way adjustable seat vs 3 way adjustable seat" in the descriptions. But I think that was for the driver seat vs the front passenger seat.

6. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the dog smell I wonder how much of its life has been spent with dog hair clogging the hybrid battery vent in the back seat. With the grit inside I doubt the previous owner (or the dealer) paid much attention to it. I think I would steer clear of that one.

7. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You could also get a set of seat extender brackets from extendmyseat. I installed a set on my 09 Corolla & love them as they offer 4" more seat travel for tall drivers.

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did notice a difference in the seat position when I went looking recently. We currently have a 2011 five -- this car has the leather interior no power seats available ... I was looking at a 2015 five -- car had power seats and the fake leather. I did not find the 2015's seat any more comfortable ... but something was up as I had to have the seat all the way back. In our 12011 I don't.

9. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone! This groups is amazing. After all your great comments, my husband and I passed on that car - especially the idea that the dog hair may be plugging the hybrid vents was sobering (thanks Kramah313). I've since looked into the seat extenders, and we will most likely purchase them. I just hope that they will fit me as well (I am 5'5") - David Beale, thanks for pointing out that the power seat might use up more space - funny, since as it is more adjustable, those tend to fit my husband better. He tried pumping the lever, adjusting the steering wheel, everything. However yesterday he did sit in another 2012 and fit. That had manual seats.

We are trying so hard to keep expenses down (2 in college with our 1993 Volvo 940 on its last legs) that our choices are fairly limited. We really need a hatchback (we drive to a "transfer station" to sort/recycle/waste/etc. - no curbside pickup) and really would like a Prius. Someone yesterday suggested waiting for a 2012 Two with high miles at a great price, then installing an aftermarket backup camera. Everything I've seen in a 2010/2011 has been highly priced if it has a backup camera, and adding an aftermarket one to them without the screen is expensive.

Thanks all!

Kramah313 likes this.
  10. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad we could help! Good luck with your search. I love my 2012 four with power seat, but then again I am 5'8" on a good day haha. I think the three in 2012+ has the backup camera while still using the manual seat. That might be the way to go if you can find a deal as it would be cheaper than a four. You also get the 3 door smart key with the three and navigation (if that appeals to you at all).