1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tall Prius drivers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kaze72, Jul 3, 2007.

1. nagara373

nagara373 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Comparision of Prii

2006 Prius
    Legroom: 41.9"
    Headroom: 39.1"
    Hiproom: 51.0"

2010 Prius
    Legroom: 42.5"
    Headroom: 38.7"
    Hiproom: 52.7"

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Comparision of Prii

Those number don't really tell the story. Measuring from the brake pedal at rest (which is a good reference point), the 3rd gen Prius seat bottom crease is very close to 2.5" farther back than 2nd gen.

Of course that is with 3rd gen seat full back and lowered down.

So, 3rd gen Prius is 2.5" more 'legroom', not 0.6".
    2.5" is a lot. It's like 5 clicks of sliding.

I wouldn't say the 2nd gen offers more headroom as shown above. Basically, a person with a tall sitting height is going to have a view very high up the windshield in 2nd gen Prius. Consequently, they will spend a good deal of time ducking down to see things, not my cup of tea. Sure, there's the gangster leaners, but I don't recommend driving like that. Usually puts the headrest in a position too far back.

3rd gen seat lowers and raises, so the field of view can be suited for different drivers.

For me, at 6'2" tall, sitting in a 2nd gen Prius is kind of like sitting in a little kids car. For comparison, sit in something like a VW Jetta. Now that is some nice seating in a midsize car.

3rd gen greatly improved. Good job on that.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Comparision of Prii

dupe

4. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hubby is 6 feet tall and has a great deal of room over his head, which is a HUGE selling point - since the Honda Insight he was brushing his hair against the sun visor. LOL

5. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the Prius III is better for taller drivers than Prius II. The driver seat seems to sit lower. The II seems ideal for shorter drivers like myself.

On the other hand, the II has more legroom than the III. The latter has a center console
    which restricts leg movement, and makes the front compartment seem smaller than the II.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Headroom is not everything. Horizontal line of sight in relation to top of windshield is also important. IOW, do you have to duck down to see traffic lights and signs. Prius roof is very dome shaped unlike most other cars, so you can get headroom, but be staring not much below the sun visors.

That's not a good thing.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Legs should go forward in a car, not be splayed to the side (common problem for long legged types).

But, if you put the cruise control on and want to hike your legs up, knee can bump the floating bridge. Toyo can ditch the bridge in the 4th gen regular Prius. I don't think it's starting a new trend.

8. TheBlueWedge

TheBlueWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm 6'7" so fitting into cars is always an issue, but for some reason the Prius is actually quite comfortable. I don't even have to have the seat all the way back -- I keep it about one notch in front of the rearmost setting. I do wish the steering wheel telescope just an inch more, but overall I fit quite well.

Of course, upward visibility is a bit of a problem (I have to hunch down a bit to see traffic lights if I'm too close) but on the flipside, I've found the floating center console to be a Godsend during long trips -- I can set the cruise control and let my right knee rest against the console, which is quite comfortable. Much more so than any other car I've driven, anyway. I'm actually thinking of installing a little pad on the side of the console just for that purpose!

1 person likes this.
  9. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I see, I never thought about the stop light thing.

If it makes you feel any better - in my Malibu hatchback sometimes even *I* at 5'3 got too close to the stop light and have to lean forward. LOL