1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tank Behind Passenger Side Bumper Cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusOwner_1, Jan 31, 2019.

1. PriusOwner_1

PriusOwner_1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had an accident in the Prius a few days ago, bumper cover is damaged, just was wondering what is the tank behind the bumper cover on the passenger side? Attached is a pic of the tank, it seems to be empty.
    841b641e-ea7c-4435-a75b-d22e456ec7c1.jpg

2. grhybrid

grhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Washer solvent tank? From the picture a bit difficult to confirm. The fill tube is a separate piece if I recall.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  3. grhybrid

grhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thought about it some more, and took a better look at your picture. This is part of the air intake system for the gas engine. I believe it simply helps quiet down the noise generated by the induction system when accelerating. The tank connects up to the snorkel devices eventually leading up to the air filter housing.

PriusOwner_1 and edthefox5 like this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes its a resonator for the intake system to mitigate the intake noise. Many years ago i tried installing a cold air intake and bypassed that whole system and its very very loud. You can clearly hear it gulping air inside the car. Not good. And it just bogged the hell out of the car too..
    If you look at the whole intake plumbing its pretty crazy lots of turns and bends all to make it quieter.

5. PriusOwner_1

PriusOwner_1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks