1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tapping into electrical by the rear view mirror...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by NaptownPrius, Jun 3, 2013.

1. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have the auto dimming rear view mirror in my 2012 Brid.

Anyone know if thecurved plastic panel in front of the overhead lights can be removed (and re-installed) to perhaps reveal an unused homelink mirror/self dimming mirror wiring harness.

I'd like to hard wire my radar detector in there if I can and save running wires all over the place.

Attached Files:

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Heres the PDF instructions you need:

http://www.toyotapart.com/PT374-47100.pdf

I installed a homelink mirror in my car. The +12V and ground come from the overhead console. The switched/ACC +12V comes from the power mirror controls by your left knee (if you follow the Toyota instructions)

EDIT: Sorry, missed that part about wanting to install a radar detector. I imagine you'd just want the ground from the overhead console but you'd still be pulling the switched 12V from the power mirrors, as the document suggests.

3. came_to_party

came_to_party Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, the panel can be removed. There are some instructions floating around that show the "proper" way to do it (apparently there's a special tool you need to use), but I just pulled on it (hardish) and it popped off. I also want to hardwire my radar detector and I have the homelink mirror. Only problem was I didn't know which of the wires to splice into (red or white) to get the positive current and so I put the cover back on and am planning on doing some research this week to find out which (I'm guessing it's the red).