1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tapping into Reverse light for backup camera. Help please

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dhman2006, Feb 2, 2018.

1. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After doing much research I decided to buy a Autovox M1W backup camera system for my Prius, but I'm having some issue powering up the camera. I've had no problem installing the camera to the back of the car and running the wires into the hatch, but when I hooked up the camera to the reverse light I'm not getting any power to the system. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm hoping someone can direct me to the right direction.

I've attached a picture of the reverse light wiring that I spliced to draw power to the camera. The red wire from the camera ties to the red wire shown in the picture and black (ground wire) got hooked up to the black and white wire shown in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. mygel

mygel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check reverse light wires with multimeter, while someone put the reverse gear with brake pedal depressed. If u got 12V there (red for+, b/w for ground), then it should be ok. No idea further.. Did you attach wires properly (soldering)?, check circuit.

3. Toyman321

Toyman321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you soldering or using a tap? Sometimes the taps don't make good connections.