1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tarnished fuse blades

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChapmanF, Sep 2, 2021.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On a short drive this afternoon, in dry weather fortunately, I sprayed the washers to get some dust off the windshield and then noticed I had no front wipers. Like, nothing. Not slow or sluggish or weak or sticking. Like unplugged.

So I got home and glanced in the wiring diagram and pulled out the 30A WIP fuse (in the block under the instrument panel) and put in a spare, and then the wipers worked fine.

The fuse that came out wasn't blown, but the blades showed tarnish. So I shined them up with an art eraser and put the old fuse back, and now the wipers are fine again.

I suppose my 2010 might be reaching the age where I ought to have an art eraser in the glove box.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've noticed similar tarnishing on the fuse tap I use to power a relay for our foglight/DRLs.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is very good to know, in case some electrical gremlins come my way.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My in-car spare fuse and light bulb box now also has a Pentel Hi-Polymer white cap-style eraser in it. (I haven't tried that particular style yet, but it was what they had the first place I stopped, and probably will work ok. I got tired of standard-issue pink ones that always leave crumbs.)