1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tax advantage when offering trade-in at dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike_10, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at a used Prius and the dealer says that I only have to pay sales tax (MA: 6.25%) over the net price I'm paying (price of prius minus trade-in value).

I've read in other forums and blogs that this is common in many states.

The dealer said: "Of course, you've already paid the sales tax on your old vehicle!"

I now wonder why this is and if this also applies if I sell the car to a private party? (I guess not, but the rule " you've already paid the sales tax on your old vehicle" still applies).

What law justifies that it is possible at a dealer but not at home?

thanks for sharing any thoughts on this,

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick answer- Politicians. I'm sure the auto industry gives them a nice kickbac....er tip.LOL

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It IS a technicality, but the 'logic' is that a trade-in ought not trigger a tax since it is not a cash transaction. Taxes by nature distort economic behavior, and natural laws need not be applied. For example, it makes as much sense as the buyers of 60000 toyota hybrids getting a credit, but then it phases to nothing for later buyers of the same vehicle. Or the fact that I can get a credit for insulating my home, but not the homes I rent out to others.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your state is sometimes referred to as Taxachusetts, but it's great that you receive that break on sales tax with a trade-in. That certainly is not the case in CA, you must pay sales tax on the full value of the vehicle; while the tax rate is ~8%+ depending on locale.

Regarding your sale to a private party, the correct analogy would be if you and another individual were to trade cars and the party receiving the higher-valued car paid the difference. Suppose your current car was worth $10K and you traded the car plus a $15K payment to a private party, receiving a car worth $25K.

When you visit your local DMV to register your car, would you pay use tax on $25K, or on $15K?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What Fees Should You Pay? has a table which lists which states have and don't have this. WA state is like yours but CA is not. :/