1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taxi company's Prius 'problem'....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dino33ca, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For me at least, their "pulling a Honda" worked out well. If anything, our mpg went up post update; the car was noticeably easier to slip into electric-only propulsion. And I'm a former HCHII owner, know all about what they did. That said: Toyota's fix did not work out so well for some others, the software and/or it's implementation is buggy.

#41 Mendel Leisk, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Mendel Leisk, I found it easier to break traction in PWR mode. It could be the tyres (WRG3) but I doubt they had worse grip than the Ecopias. It's possible the TRAC has been further dialed back. When the car was new, you could chirp the tyres before TRAC kicked in, but now, I've had the tyres spin continuously. (I assume the TRAC is still on and they didn't turn it off when doing the update.)

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I wouldn't debate specific unit actions or reliability with you.

But my point was more to showing that their are differences in both Gen 2 technology, and Gen 3 technology that individuals could point to as being potentially more reliable or less reliable. I'll take the Gen 3 gas tank over the Gen 2 Bladder.

I still say smaller, lighter doesn't necessarily mean cheaper or less reliable.

I am trying to avoid owner bias. The instinct of course is to defend what you own.
    When I first became interested or really aware of the reality of hybrids/Prius as a possible automotive choice for myself, I certainly was a fan of the Gen 2 Prius.

As stated, I nearly purchased a 2009 Gen 2, and certainly the thought that I'd be purchasing a well vetted and real world tested version of The Prius was in the plus column for that decision.

I would have to say that regrettably with almost all products a built in level of disposability seems to be increasing. To an extent I believe complexity is somewhat to blame. Coupled with competition for sales, leading to aggressive cost savings in production.

I wouldn't want to go back, primarily due to lack of safety. But I use to own a 1992 Nissan Pick Up. I still see them on the road today. They were incredibly reliable machines, based on the fact that by today's standards they were incredibly basic and primitive. No airbags, I don't even think mine had ABS...you basically had engine, transmission and suspension.

Hybrids in operation provide an almost "magical" level of fuel efficiency. But we all know it's not really magic. It's created from those batteries, and inverters and the concert of the entire HSD system. Dealing with the possible failure of components of that complexity is part of the cost of enjoying the "magical" efficiency a hybrid provides.

At least for now? I'm willing to pay that cost. And my owner bias, is hoping that the next 5 years has the Gen 3 holding up well as a reliable and durable vehicle.

4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the Prius is a natural for a taxi, the way the Crown Vic was natural for a police car. I think however, that the battery is the Achilles heel of the Prius. Battery technology is a three-way triangle between: performance, reliability and cost. As most of us know, cellphone batteries perform well, but after a year they are already declining. Military applications use batteries which perform well and have excellent reliability, but the cost is very high. Prius engineers have done a good job of balancing cost, performance and reliability, but it would be asking for miracles if they could achieve all three.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, it's the performance part that was compromised. Toyota wouldn't use a larger range of battery's capacity to increase longevity. Before PHVs were around, we wanted increased EV range in EV Drive Mode (not necessarily at the levels we're seeing now because of cost and the need to charge it from an external source but a bit more than the 1-2km currently available in a self-contained system).

6. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you grumpie, patrick, and all. uk /europe small areas to drive in. would love to see a taxi version. cars in western us stretch there legs. great to drive to quartzsite from home, 270t miles and not be able to get $15 in tank go home the long way and still have gas. I should probably do trans and inverter change. Is high speed/long drives harder or easier on fluids? Thanks for the posts priuschatters

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not even close. They eat up their competitors. Just ask GM.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Engine oil: freeway speeds/extended trips are good because water vapor in the oil is driven out as the oil heats up. For cars that are driven very few miles a year, the recommendation is to change the engine oil at least annually to get rid of the water content before it turns into sludge.
    Transmission ATF: high speeds translate into more transaxle heating and wear on mechanical parts so, for a given number of miles in service, the ATF from a transaxle mostly operating at high speeds probably will contain more debris vs. ATF from a transaxle which is used primarily at slower speeds.
    Engine and inverter/transaxle coolant: no obvious difference, change interval is based upon miles driven or duration in service

9. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you patrick that does make sense have about 163k on car and 0/0 had 90k sevice done by toyota, almost 1000. all the fluids i can see and smell look like brand new. Using dino oil every 5k. hoping to go 500k.