1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taylor Swift's New Album?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusCamper, Apr 20, 2024.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone listen to it yet? As a singer songwriter she's hit Beatles / Rolling Stones level of producing new music faster than the pop hit vendors can keep up with... And if she can have so much influence on the NFL, think of what she could do for climate change and the transition to EVs?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't yet.

Out of the, what, 31 tracks on the double album, did you post that one as a favorite, or just as one you happened to stumble on?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard a swift song, but i was impressed by a few off beyonces new c&w album

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You've been hearing Taylor Swift songs everywhere you go for decades @bisco you just didn't know it... Her music is everpresent nearly everywhere there's music. Listen to her very first song that came out 15 years ago. I'm sure you'll find it oddly familiar...

#4 PriusCamper, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to paying $10 a month to Youtube to watch without ads I get YouTube music for free and spent way too much time last night and night before trying to pick a track and couldn't decide on one... But figured this one would be good just in case it gets seen by the Swift haters.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's probably from one to three off each Swift album that I would recognize on hearing ... and a rather smaller number that I could hum if prompted.

I was paying the most attention when the first few albums were coming out, and for her age at the time she seemed to me to have a prodigy's writing ability.

I don't think her talent has fallen off any, getting older, and I'd still say she's darned good at what she does; it's maybe not as jaw-dropping to me anymore as when this high-schooler out of nowhere was doing it.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Funny, could actually be my first time for this one. :) I wasn't listening often to country stations then, so the songs I noticed first were the ones that got more crossover airplay. The country roots are strong in this one.

Is the bridge in this one, at four measures, one of the shortest Taylor Swift bridges in existence? Oh what the future would bring....

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Prius Camper i never pictured you as having the slightest interest in Taylor Swift…

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... It's not jaw dropping musical ability by any means. Pop music is never that. But it's rare for such a prolific singer-songwriter / poet to have access to the very best producers and recording studio engineers.

As in from my many years of making recordings in front of a mixer with lots of Pro Audio rack gear, this album is technically very advanced / cutting edge work that's minimalist enough to hear all the details when you put on the headphones. Pop music is rarely that... It usually has way too much music in the music to be good.

Then you add to that what Beyonce just did for country music and you have a super impressive moment in music history going on right now.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah Beatles, especially on headphones, were so crisp/sharp/flawless it was almost too much. Was reassuring to hear the occasional zip sounds of fingers running along guitar strings.

bisco likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah! But I'm a big football fan, so... Lol...

More to the point I admire meaningful people in world history. And I'd never sell my car to be able to afford a ticket to her show. But the impact she's had on the economies of the world, besides being Time's person of the year... I mean Colorado alone had there GDP boosted by $140 million from her shows.

And what I like most is how badly she screwed over the gatekeepers of Hollywood who make sure new and revolutionary ideas never make it to the box office.

Taylor funded her own film and negotiated a contract directly with AMC theaters at a 57% cut and there was over a billion dollars in ticket sales. That's a huge punch in the face to not just Hollywood, but may evolve into a long term threat to US intelligence operations who use Hollywood to groom people to unquestionably support US hegemony. That is if more moviemakers can get similar distributions done without Hollywood gatekeepers.

Like Ed Abbey's book the Monkeywrench gang... Eco-radicals in Hollywood have tried and failed to get funding to get that move made for three decades now because it would be so dangerous to the Oligarchs if it became a hit movie.

Zythryn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a voice for those sounds on my old Yamaha keyboard....

$19.89 of those even came from me. For my tastes, even that seemed a bit steep for sitting in the dark in my local movieplex, but I was curious and came away thinking it well spent. That'll have to do it for me; I heard recently she's got a show scheduled in Indy but I just can't justify what those tickets go for.

The person I heard it from is still hoping (however unrealistically) to get some, though.

I thought the last time I was hearing gripes about Hollywood they were making it out to be a bottomless pit of anti-American indoctrination.

I'm clearly doing a lousy job of keeping up-to-date on such gripes.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes that's how they push pro US propaganda, by always demaning more supportive efforts then the ones that already are...

Nazi Germany proved how effective it was to this when you integrate propaganda with entertainment, then the US picked up where they left off: The film industry under the Nazis – DW – 05/07/2020

Learn how the Nazis used film to create an image of the “national community” and to demonize those they viewed as the enemy: Nazi Propaganda at the Movies

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... That Schtick never gets old if you're a women in our society... Even for the most famous billionaire women in the world. Of course maybe soon she won't be able to say that anymore?

16. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That is a good point, she is creating records at the pace of the 1950s and 1960s creations.

I fast-forwarded through her Era Tour video, and well, I just did not enjoy her songs.
    FWIW I'll say I actually enjoy Miley Cyrus' music better, but neither are my favorite "sound".

Besides the fast record/song issuance point, what I do admire about Taylor is her ability to put on a 3-hour show, night after night, and "save" "take medical care" of her voice.

She is a valued entertainer.

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

I'm not much of a 'swiftie.'
    I can name two more WNBA players off the top of my head than I can recall the titles for her songs
    Different kind of TDS.....
    The YouTubes charge me closer to $15 a month and it's the only subscription I pay other than the occasional $4-5 a month special price for Audible - the last of which expires this month.

My YouTube selected-for-me music hasn't included any Swift music to date.

I'm not much of an NFL fan either, so I guess I'm also fresh out of rats to give about which player with a tight end she's prancing around with.
    If I were the NFL's Commish I would give her lifetime access and all of the attention that she craves.

Getting pre-teen girls interested in the sport beyond the annual party in February is a BIG get.

#17 ETC(SS), Apr 21, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another somewhat critical review, this one from someone supplying proof of swiftie status:

Taylor Swift Is Releasing Too Many Songs. Blame the Streaming Era.

Buried in it is what might be some praise for a couple of the later tracks:

The latter half of her double album contains some of the brightest gems, like "I Look in People's Windows" and "The Prophecy." But instead of getting their own moments to shine, they've been relegated to track slots 25 and 26 in a two-hour deluxe edition. They won't be included in CDs or vinyl copies. Casual fans may never even hear them​

I haven't tried to find or listen to those yet. I guess it's not written in stone that Callie Ahlgrim and I would have the same idea of a 'gem', but I don't know that we wouldn't, either.

I'll agree with ETC that I've never felt the fascination with figuring out exactly who she's writing about in every phrase. I might go so far as to say a song doesn't work as a song, unless it can work without you having to know all that.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    people love to disect song lyrics. lennon said it was all nonsense, dylan said they mean what you want them to mean, not what his intent was.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And you can mishear the lyrics, but it still works. I always though Dylan said "before the sky there are no fences facing". Apparently it's "but for the sky there are no fences facing".