1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TC-W3 as a fuel treatment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by richbrvd1987, Jan 23, 2011.

1. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seeing it talked about over on BITOG, and wondered if anyone here has been using it and found the perfect combination to get the best fuel economy or have I given myself a new science experiment?

I know the magic number sits somewhere between 1:600 and 1:400, but if anyone actually knows the number or can lead me in that direction, I would love it.

Richard

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Treatments cause the effective octane and O2 and CO in the exhaust to vary with every fillup and every addition of treatment. The computers will be chasing the desired operating point constantly by varying timing and fuel/air ratio. Add to that normal variations in air temperature, density, humidity, driving route, driver's condition, et cetera and you have an endless process with no real benefit. Any number of people have fooled themselves into thinking they've found an improvement; people are good at that.

If you do find an improvement in fuel economy it will almost certainly bugger the emissions.

3. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BITOG has a lot of threads related to various fuel additives, from Marvel Mystery Oil to TCW3 (both contain oil) and others. Can't say that anybody has every posted any significant problems with O2 sensors, cats or other equipment, although people who've never used the stuff are sometimes quick to say it will damage something.

I'd be interested too, but doubt that this forum will be very informative about it. From my reading of multiple posts, you won't see much benefit in new or like-new engines. It would probably be worth a trial in an engine with over 70k miles.

Vic

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well what sort of mpg increase are we talking about anyway? Is it 1% or 2%? Good quality 2-stroke oil is about $10/L here, so even at 1:500 I'd need to get almost 2% gain just to break even

5. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vic,
    Well at 50k miles the engine isn't spotless, but its been on a steady diet of M1 every 2,500 up to 35k (dealer swore in the desert the oil change needed to be done twice as often) and then every 5k since then. I guess it's time to give it a run

Uart,
    It's seemed to vary from car to car, and people have had to find the right mix for them. The only post I saw where the person actually posted several tank mileages before and after and he went up from the 27/28 range up to 30/31 range.

I'll try it. It's ashless and can't imagine that it'll mess up my emissions since everyone thats ever run it has been fine even in states that test the cars. People also report a reduction of carbon build up in the lower exaust system once they start using it. Also, it's only $4 a quart here

6. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK... this probably doesn't really belong in this thread, but I'm thinking about it, so I guess I'll post it here;) I suspect that a lot of the fuel economy gains from things like this... or magnets on the fuel lines or other crazy things that people do tend to come from people being more aware of fuel economy after making the changes and driving more economically. In other words, they probably could have seen those gains just by changing their driving style and nothing else.

I'd love to see a blind test of this or any of the other claims where the driver would go through several tanks of gas and each time they filled up a friend may or may not add the additive. After a few tanks each way, compare notes with the friend and see if you really did get better mileage on the tanks with the additive.

Another likes this.
  7. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've looked over a number of internet forums about gas additives, including the TCW3. I've tested it in my own car (2009 Civic), and two motorcycles (both 2009 models). If fuel reduction is the concern, it seems to me that it is a minimal improvement, at least with a newer engine (that's just my experience). Now, if you are planning on keeping the vehicle long-term then maybe there are other good effects that are not obvious on the short term.

One of the major internet threads on the topic of TCW3 is on the LS1.com internet forum, started by a guy with the handle Sarge. This thread has been going on about 1 1/2 years now, and from what I have seen mostly positive results: Been testing - LS1 Performance Information About 46 pages worth of reading for those who want to look it over.

8. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As a rationale to any discussion on fuel and additives..... my opinion is that fuel is not perfect, that adding ethanol is detrimental to performance and fuel economy, and that upper cylinder lubrication can have benefits for the fuel system and engine efficiency. So that's where additives such as MMO, seafoam, TCW3 come in. Even Regane has a version with an UCL added to the mix.

9. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I could agree with that, although everyone who's tracked fuel economy don't start getting better FE numbers until tank 2, 3 or occasionally tank #4. How does one explain the sudden spike there?

I only started this post to find out if anyone else had been using it yet and found that magic mix :). I'll be the one finding out I suppose

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Consider a 10K oil change interval if you are using Mobile 1. This engine isn't a cheap Chevy small block that is going to blow lifters for lack of fresh oil every 3,000 miles.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  11. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would and will happily stretch my OCI out to 8 or 10k once I'm out of warranty but for the next 50k miles I'm tied into 5k OCI for warranty purposes.

Put in 2oz TC-W3 and 2 oz of MMO. Currently at 56 miles and 48.6mpg. Lets see if I finish up or down of that point. I traditionally end a tank in the lower 47's

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Each of us is allowed to spend our money however we like, even on snake oil.

13. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The overall reports I've seen do not look like snake oil. I'll reserve that title for other products that don't work.

14. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'm confused. What I bought was 2 stroke marine oil. No where on the bottle does it say it's made out of snakes.

15. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, the primary source is rendered dead animals, whether dinosaurs, livestock, snakes, ...

Seriously, though, fuel economy is multi-factorial, and important factors are difficult to hold constant: ambient temperature, traffic conditions, usage pattern, driving style, mechanical wear, etc. If it takes a few tanks to notice a meaningful improvement, then that makes it even more difficult to attribute to an additive. For example, you could notice a gradual increase in your FE over the next few months, but is that due to this additive, or due to warming temperatures? Thus, the naysayers will always be out in force, because, even if you get some improvement, it can be explained away. On the other hand, if everyone listened when everyone else said that what they were trying couldn't possibly work, then we wouldn't even have a Prius to drive. Enjoy your experiment :)

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When I owned a two stroke, I bought injector oil for it, I just never considered it likely that my Prius would become a two stroke. Or a marine.

So it is not 'snake oil' for the use the manufacturer sells it for, there is simply an urban legend that it serves some purpose in four stoke cars other than slimming the owner's wallet.

[​IMG]

17. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2-stroke oil is made for supplementing fuel. It is correct that the Prius does not contain a 2-stroke engine, but the benefits do not need to be marginalized just because it is what I'd call an off-label use. And this is not the result of urban legend, the original discussion on this is from a deliberate exercise in finding a fuel additive product that helps improve the quality of our current, ethanol-blended fuels. The companies that sell TCW3 do not promote its use in regular cars, so there is no big financial intent on fleecing American car enthusiasts.

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect this is where we disagree, I do not consider 2 stroke oil as a fuel additive at all. It is not used to supplement the fuel. Two stoke engines use the crankcase to both push the fuel/air mixture into the cylinder as a pump, and to time when the fuel/air mixture arrives (like a valvetrain in a 4 stroke) As such it has no oil pan or oil pump lubricating the crankshaft or cylinder walls, which clearly NEED lubrication. The solution is to add oil to the fuel so it will lubricate the crankshaft and cylinder walls as it is pumped into the cylinder.

Two-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

A 4 stroke engine, as is almost universally used in cars, has an oil pan and oil pump providing lubrication to the crankshaft and cylinder walls so no additional oil is needed or would even get to the crankcase if it was added. So two stroke oil cannot do it's job in a 4 stroke engine.

[​IMG]

Could it have other mystical powers undreamed of by modern science? I doubt it, but all it costs is your money.

19. richbrvd1987

richbrvd1987 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo,
    no one is expecting it to reach the crankshaft or "do it's job" as You put it. In a 2 cycle engine, where it is run at anywhere from 16:1 and 50:1 it does have a specific lubrication and detergent job. Though the point of putting it in a 4 cycle is for lubrication and such it isn't for the crankshaft. That's what the 0w-30 in the sump is for.

20. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ah My mistake, I thought you were planning to use 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke.