1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TCI Media Release - Canadian Pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beyond Possible: The Sky’s The Limit With the 2016 Toyota Prius | Toyota Canada

2016 Prius: $25,990 ($310 less than last year)

Base w/ Upgrade package ($590): TSS-P and heated front seats.

Touring: $29,330 (similarly equipped to a US 3T)

Technology: $28,730 (similarly equipped to a US 3 w/ ATP)

Technology w/ Advanced Package: $31,990 (similar to a US 4 w/ PCP and ATP). This one has no spare tire.

Edit: The Touring and Technology models are only available in 3 markets - Metro Vancouver, GTA and Greater Montreal. Elsewhere, you can only get the base or base w/ Upgrade Package.

#1 Tideland Prius, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Also now up on Toyota.ca
    2016 Prius Overview - Toyota Canada

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    AND, doing "research" for another topic, I read "the hybrid battery may not start the engine if its' temperature is below -30C".
    Hmmm! So no winter use here! If we ever get back to real winter temps. ;) I wonder if we could install a "battery blanket"? Fun with winter!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shouldn't be problem on the wet coast.

bisco likes this.
  5. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My impressions are:
    • There seems to be some inconsistencies and information missing in the info
    • I can find no technical info on batteries on Toyota.ca. Its hard to imagine they would not allow for temperatures below -30C across Canada and equally hard to imagine they wouldn't make Lithium Ion available on the West coast.
    • There are effectively 5 models
      • Base
      • Base with Upgrade Package
      • Technology
      • Touring
      • Technology with Advanced
    • I can't imagine buying the Base without the Upgrade package as you get important stuff for little extra cost
    • There seem to be some important things missing in everything but the Technology with Advanced but if you get that you lose the spare which is a big deal to me. Some of the other missing things are also significant (8 way seat and HUD). Some were very convenient and readily available in the Gen 3 line-up (Garage door openers and autodimming mirror).
    Maybe the picture will improve as more information becomes available, information is corrected and (if) Toyota Canada makes some last minute changes.

#5 energyandair, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    zor and Dino33ca like this.
  6. ea8631_1

ea8631_1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No JBL on the Advanced pkg but US market have it?

Also, wonder will they have the preview like 5 years ago from Toyota Canada?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ohoh, the Lions Gate Bridge is in the background of the picture...

zor likes this.
  8. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No mention of battery type anywhere I could find.

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    It seems the one I'd want is the Technology with Advanced Package, and the price seems decent enough. In fact, I would have probably already ordered one by now, had I not lost my poor Prius Gen II last year. Maybe I'll keep my current (used) Prius Plug-in that replaced it until the Gen 5 Prius comes out... or maybe I'll buy a Gen III Prius Plug-in if they make it decent and reasonably priced.

The Touring looks decent, but is missing some of the tech features like head up display and blind spot monitor. And neither have a heated steering wheel. Boo!

As for the lack of a spare tire, perhaps it's partially a space saving thing. I note that the cargo room of the Tech with Advanced is 27.4 cubic feet, but it's only 24.6 for the other models. That represents an increase of 11% cargo space for the Tech with Advanced model. And what about cost? Does a tire repair kit cost Toyota significantly less than a spare tire? I'm thinking it would (parts, weight, storage), despite the retail cost of these things.

I didn't realize this but aside from the US base Two, all of the US Priuses have Li-ion batteries. Even the Two Eco has Li-ion.

However, the cargo space doesn't seem to be related to the battery. Some of the Li-ion models have 24.6 cubic feet and some have 27.4. The ones with 24.6 all have a spare tire and the ones that don't have a spare tire have 27.4.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Aren't both battery types under the rear seat? I'm not sure on that.

11. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    All GIV traction batteries are under the rear seat. The vent intake is on the front of the seat far right by the floor. The emergency shutoff plug is to the left of the vent intake. The owners manual now says "do not use except in emergency" or something to that effect. I thought it used to be used whenever someone had to work on the car. Too many calls to help get it connected again?

No rear cargo tray on this model either. I'll have to drop in to a dealer and have a closer look.
    With the warning in the owners manual of "if the battery temperature is -30C or below it may not be able to start the engine", I wonder if some plug-in heater is being considered. Then again, there would probably be, what, two or three cars to worry about. Pearl S sleeps overnight in an unheated garage, which rarely gets below -10C, and I'm sure there are few if any who would have to worry. I think Tideland parked his outside when he was in Edmonton.

The fuel economy ratings are rather poor, considering what the Americans are seeing. The new Canadian govt. standard is very conservative.

12. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yes to battery type
    Yes to cargo space and spare. For my use, I value extra cargo space but I'd strongly prefer the spare.

Yes to battery location

13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    12 volt is under the hood on the 2016:

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, meant both hybrid battery types.

#14 Mendel Leisk, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's battery temperature, you'll have to leave the car outside for a few days at -30°C or lower to get the battery temps to that temperature.

Good catch. No JBL, huh? That sucks. Danny said the new JBL audio system is pretty good.

Me neither. But given that only the Technology w/ Advanced Pkg has no spare, then we can deduce that all models except that top package have the NiMH battery.

Seems like it's NiMH for all except the top model. Pricing bodes well for the 2G PHV.

16. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You may be right but it's not clear to me why you are concluding that all models with spare have NiMH. Of the 3 US models with spare one is NiMH and two are Li-Ion.

Eug and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    They kept the TPMS for the Canadian 2016 Prius. In contrast, we don't have TPMS in our 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. I was sort of happy not to have BTW, since it meant saving 300 bux when getting our new winter wheels.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, good point.

20. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yep. As mentioned, based on the US ones I might have guessed most of the Canadian ones are Li-ion.

Yes I know, which is why I'm a bit surprised they kept TPMS for the new Prius in Canada.