1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teach ur children -- car repair?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just curious...any successful folks with teaching children car repair?

Just spent a couple of days with my 34-year-old son teaching him to swap out a battery, change filters, clean/replace various items, including oil and filter. Tried to do
    that with all the kids when they were teens but got no buy-in. My son told me he wished he had listened back in the day, so I guess that was something. Stuff I learned from my dad when I was a sprout in 1968. And I actually enjoyed working with dad. Cars have changed but the basic principles...

bisco likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My Dad in the 1960s bought a couple of Model A Fords thinking we’d learn car mechanics. It taught us ‘NEVER GET ANOTHER!!!’

My 1966 VW MicroBus always had my tool box, a box of parts, and the Zen repair book. I did rebuild the engine when I came back from Okinawa. Like the Marines, no desire to repeat.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i taught all 3 of ours how to check and top up the oil, top up ww fluid, check and/or change air filter, check tyres pressure and add(including seasonal changes) and change a flat tyre, and keep an eye on belts, hoses and fluids.
    not sure they have ever done it though. they all drive new cars, and probably assume 5k services cover it.

my dad taught us about carbs, tiiming, plugs, rotors, plug wires, gas filter, valve adjustment, so many things that don't relate these days

#3 bisco, Dec 18, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think anyone who isn’t independently wealthy needs a fair amount of automotive knowledge unless you enjoy being raked over the coals.

Oil changes, batteries, rotations, filters, wipers, brake pads, headlights
    should be on the normally done by you but “occasionally done by others “ category, whether you are young old, M F or other.

I’ve gotten lazy with winter in the snow maintenance but still don’t mind tire rotations in the snow,

My father “sort of” taught me but more or less said I won’t change the starter again which meant I stumbled through getting it 90% off except for the top wire bolt which was too close to chassis and too short, let it hang, got it off then had a mechanic lengthen and reinstall after TK rebuilder rewound it for the millionth time (bad design for a diesel)

At the end of the day I had to figure it out myself and have used YouTube videos to save money and get things done

#4 Rmay635703, Dec 18, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022