1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teaching the Mrs. to drive - am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zm15, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife drive the Prius and boasts now that she "lowered your gas mileage for you"...

I take it in stride (not really, but on the outside i do...) . Today I drove her to the train station and showed her I got it up to 57MPG.. She asked what it was when she drove it, and told her about 47 (it's less , but didn't want to start a fight)... well she didn't believe me and I just laughed...

Her corolla gets low 30's so I would rather have her use the Prius when available and get in the 40's . Especially with Gas heading north of $4.40 by me...

2. zm15

zm15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Got your attention didn't it! ;)

3. in-control

in-control Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same challenge a wife with the addition of three teenagers - it is overwhelming and can be distracting with all that information. I just leave it in Eco mode and tell them to drive slow and safe. They won't listen to me anyways so why waste the effort. The one thing that is different it the gear shifting. it is more of a selection that is not mechanically attached to the transmission. That and having a "P" park button is different. other then that I let the car do the economizing and focus on safe driving.

4. dalspot

dalspot One foot off the grid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After all these years I now drive the way my Dad used to tell me to when I was 16. He used to tell me not to drive like Barney Oldfield! He'd be proud of me now :)

Karen

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amen (39 y. And counting)

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight."
    Sun Tzu ~500BC

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's actually 5250 RPM, but you won't reach that unless you're well above 70MPH (either decelerating down-hill in B mode with a full battery or during heavy/full acceleration at high speeds).

8. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm lucky, my GF is (a) thrifty and (b) competitive, so she totally in favor of higher mpg. We may disagree on other things but not about driving. When she saw me hypermiling the Subaru I had, she immediately "borrowed" my ScanGauge and started hypermiling her Saab (an AT 9-5 Wagon). She worked out her own set of methods and parameters for it and now manages 31-32mpg in it. Which I think is impressive. And she has fun doing so. She goes a tad faster than I do (55-60mph vs 50mph) but that's what she feels comfortable with.

When she drives the Prius she tries to beat my mpg in it, drives at my speeds, and comes very close: 65 mpg on the display vs 66.5 mpg for the same trip, similar weather.

NiHaoMike likes this.