1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Teaser image of the Prius v addition to the Prius family

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 10, 2010.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The V looks more like 3" longer 5" at the most, certainly nowhere near 12-14" longer. The Highlander is 13.2" longer. The Venza is 13.4" longer. The Prius V looks nowhere near the length of a Highlander or a Venza. Mazda 5 is 5.9" longer than the Prius and even then it still looks longer than the Prius V.
    The perfect Prius for me would be the Prius V Five PHEV with 25 mile range and 70MPH EV top speed with advanced technology that also include attention monitor, more accurate LKA, PCS that actually stops the car before it hits the object, blind spot intervention, sun roof with solar and gets combined 50MPG after PHEV batteries have exhausted. Ohh and 0-60 in 8 seconds, nothing fast but respectable.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK Doug, I'l bite. If it isn't a "mini van" (a term not used in Australia) what is it?

I suspect it is a station wagon variant of the Prius. What is the new name for station wagon now, is it MPV or multi purpose vehicle? Funny but my Prius already serves many purposes, like transport for me, my stuff and my friends, a home when I go traveling alone on the cheap and a race car when I feel like racing.

3. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm more interested to see what the "C" model is going to look like. I've always been a fan of small cars, especially sporty ones like the Honda CR-X and Del Sol. I'd love to see a small sports car with the Hybrid Synergy Drive, even better with a plug-in option.

The Honda CR-Z came close, but the IMA isn't very suitable for becoming a plug-in. (yes, I know it can be done, but with too many limitations) And traded in my 2010 Insight for a Prius for the sole reason of putting a plug-in kit in there.

4. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
  5. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pity, that.

Love my Mazda5, so I guess it'll be a new one of those or a Grand C-Max.

Of course, if the "V" some how becomes a plug-in, we'll talk.

6. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who cares what it's called? From the spy shots, it seems to be in the Grand C-Max/Mazda5/Kia Rondo/Honda Stream/Toyota Wish/Mitsubishi Expo (for those who remember) euro-MPV style size range and that is really the PERFECT size. We need more vehicles that size in the USA.

The important stuff is how usefully/cleverly the interior is packaged. A poorly designed interior space can waste room inside of even very large vehicles. Toyota, if you're listening, please don't put in a giant center console that robs all the driver's knee room like you did with the Scion xB - a car with an otherwise very well packaged interior (but mediocre fuel economy).

And of course the other important thing is MPG. Because all those vehicles I mentioned don't get very good MPG, and that is really their downfall. This is an area where the Prius V could really be a game changer.

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In the US, the station wagon is termed a crossover by marketing genius.

The Mazda 5 can barely called a mini-minivan, basically it is a tall wagon in the Asian market. The Prius V will be the same as it is 4.2" taller than the Prius.

8. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And that term "crossover" can mean anything from a Matrix to an Accord Crosstour. So it is pretty meaningless. I vote we stop using these genius marketing terms and start using actual numbers to describe vehicles. Important numbers like curb weight, MPG, wheelbase, height, length, etc. Maybe then we can get a better idea of what we are talking about.

So, Prius 58.7 tall + 4.2 = Prius V 62.9 (63") tall. That's a good height. About the same as the old Mitsubishi Expo and the current Scion xB. The Mazda5 is about an inch taller.

Where did you get this spec? Do you have any more?

9. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sliding rear doors on a Prius would rock it. I debated for a while between a prius and a mazda5 but ultimately chose prius for mpg's. Blend the two and you're starting to hit the sweet spot.

(fwiw, I do carry around a few midgets).

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I mentioned at the event that we can't see the doors of the vehicle. This causes me to wonder if it's because they're just doors or if it's because they are hiding sliding doors.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Let's say it is a regular Prius but with more interior and or cargo room, which it does look like it has from the pictures. What would people like to see made available on it that you cannot get on a regular Prius? Or better yet, if it's something you can currently get in Prius BUT it is only available as part of a package, what would you like to see made available as standard or available in a much lower level trim?

Me, I'd like to have a sunroof without having to get the whole solar roof option. The package could probably cost considerable less without having it thrown in. I would also like to be able to get the LED headlights without having to move to the top of the line model. And finally, I'd like the radar cruise control without having to take the whole self parking feature and even the lane keep system in order to try and keep costs down. I find the radar cruise one of the best features in my Prius and wish with increased production they could sell the units for less thus making it a much more affordable option. Oh and while I'm at it, why not throw in lithium ion batteries with a plug in option?! Yeah, keep dreaming I'm sure...

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An MPV? For us, minivans are the giant Siennas, Grand Caravans and Odysseys. Mazda Canada didn't put any label on the Mazda5 as far as I can remember and yet it sold quite well. It's very well priced in Canada ($20k-$25k which is right btwn a top-of-the-line Corolla and a base Camry). Very affordable as most minivans start at a few dollars below $30k.

13. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Prius hatchback 175.6" L x 68.7" W x 58.3" H
    Prius V ............180.7" L x 69.7" W x 62.4" H
    Mazda 5 ..........181.5" L x 69.1" W x 64.2" H

4 people like this.
  14. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick question. With the new V and C names along with previous auto show prototypes, especially the blue prius shown in Geneva, its getting really confusing to keep track of what car is which prototype. Is Toyota planning on introducing the blue four door "X" roof prius with the headlights part of the dash and if so which is it the V or C?
    Many thanks!

15. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a market for people that love the Mazda 5. Hell all mini-vans today AIN'T MINI ANYMORE :D THey are huge (Sienna, Odyssey, T&C etc).

This is a great move, a cheaper van with great MPG. Vans are maybe the most rational and SENSIBLE car purchase, surely this new Prius will offer tons of storage space and room. Maybe even 3 row seating.

It is going to be a hit, even with a lower MPG rating.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Taxi!

Just saying. ;)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great as minicabs too.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's because it has no doors. Lighter, saves money, stronger without doors.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It should to be more popular than Escape Hybrid.

20. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think I've ever payed any attention to the mazda5 but I did see one earlier today. My first thought was it looked like a supersized hatchback.

I'm not too fond of the third row. I remember having to sit in a third row before and I had no leg room at all. I had to lay across the seats to be comfortable. I'd like to check out the interior of the mazda 5 in person.

I wish they would release the info already instead of January. We really want a new car before the new year and this new V or alpha is enticing. Dang you Toyota! :(

iPhone ?