1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tech Stream - which Operating system ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Master_of_None, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Master_of_None

Master_of_None New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am new to this forum. Thank you in advance for all advice and help provided. I have ordered a interface adapter ( VDX - Nano ) to use Tech Stream. I plan on insalling the software on an old laptop that will be for dedicated use in the garage. My question is, for those that have and use the program, from your experience which operating system will provide the least amount of issues installing and running the program / software?

thanks again in advance

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    XP
    All anti malware must be removed from that laptop it should be cleaned.
    Then never ever use that laptop for anything but TS because it will be infected.
    Good luck.

donbright likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, XP? That's a 20 year old operating system... Most people are setting it up on Windows 10 these days... There used to be an issue with it only working on 32 bit systems with the right .NET plugins set up, but much of that has been resolved.

There also used to be a requirement that the software needed to be prevented from connecting to the internet otherwise it would check with Toyota servers and then shut your Techstream down for lack of authorization to use it.

But recently someone mentioned this service, which actually requires you to have an internet connection so there servers can ensure your software works flawlessly: TOYOTA Techstream V15.10.029 (05/2020) + Activation - MHH AUTO - Page 261

I still am trying to figure all this stuff out myself and if anyone wants to share their thoughts on this alternative way to do it via the link above, I'd like to learn more.

alftoy likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For recent versions of the Techstream software, Toyota’s stated requirement (PDF, page 7) is Windows 10. I don’t know if the software actually doesn’t run on earlier operating systems, or if it just hasn’t been tested with them.

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Drivers for MiniVCI cable have been updated for newer 32 and 64 bit systems. Just get the downloads from the link above on PriusCampers post. That's where I downloaded mine and have it installed on Windows 10 Oct 2020 update. Get the download from MHH Auto link, that particular post has 3000 replies asking for activation after installing V15.10.029, reason being when you install Techstream and the driver for the MiniVci cable it generates an ID sequence, then post that ID sequence back on the thread, someone will reply with the activation key.

3000 installs on V15.10.029 and no malware reports, the driver will report a false positive on some Virus programs, just make an exception. ‍‍

Sure you can get a MiniVCI cable and a software cd for $80, but just get a MiniVCI cable for $18 from uobdii.com

Cheapest MINI VCI for TOYOTA V14.20.019 Single Cable

Lots of commenting Techstream on Win10, needing XP is old gossip.

Techstream question | Toyota RAV4 Forums

Techstream v13.30.18 customization menus | Toyota RAV4 Forums

#5 alftoy, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been procrastinating on this forever... Still haven't looked close enough to figure where the $25 payment happens. Is that done when you sign up for the forum?

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Been a while since I first registered, I did "donate", can't remember the benefits, but getting the software and activation was worth $25-30. Techstream working on my laptop. The MiniVCI cable I had bought off Ebay from a seller in the UK and he did setup my software via teamviewer, noticed the seller was no longer selling the cable. This was a couple years ago and I wanted to update the software so took a chance on MHHauto.

Donate after you register, my suggestion.

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. caliwaves

caliwaves Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get the v10 from ebay, then use it with xp dedicated on your old laptop.
    Sure you can get later things that work on w10 on another laptop but do you want to dedicate a better lmore modern laptop to it or use your old one?
    It works just fine on an old laptop with xp