1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Technical question -- Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sammy8887, Jan 21, 2013.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One hook goes on the passenger side front where the engine ground strap attaches with 14mm bolt. The other diagonally opposite head as shown in this photo. (Where Gen1 shift cable bracket attaches to rear drivers side of head) Note, finger is pointing to EGR valve, hook is to the right.
    [​IMG]

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks!

-Chap

3. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P3191 is an engine start problem, not a battery problem unless you don't hear the engine "cranking". P3191 is often caused by dirty throttle body. Clean out the throttle body and intake manifold if you can. When car is "starting" the first 8 seconds is MG1 trying to start the gas engine...even though the gas engine sounds like it is running it may not be. Time the crank cycle with a watch, if you make it 10 seconds or more the engine is actually running and exhaust gasses should be coming out the tailpipe. If engine won't even crank for 8 seconds then you may need to recharge the Hybrid battery with a grid charger (not that easy to do - most dealers don't have the equipment).

Once engine is running it will stay running and recharge the Hybrid battery.

Try turning the key to ON (no start) then clear the codes. Key off, then start. Does that help?

If no code reader try turning key to ON, disconnect 12V battery. Turn key off, reconnect battery and try again.

Do you smell gasoline in the air cleaner area? if not, squirt a small amount of starter fluid into the throttle body. Once you get it actually running everything will settle into place.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I edited my post #37 in the referenced string to provide excerpts from the 2004 New Car Features manual that document differences in intake valve timing, combustion chamber shape, and pistons. The compression ratio itself remains unchanged.

5. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    how exactly do you do a 'force charge' to 100$ SoC ? -- talking with the ICE running or external bat. charger ?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    For a "force charge" just step on the brakes and also rev the engine to charge the HV battery.

JeffD

7. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    so if the engine is out of commission , charging the HV with electric means (aka battery charger) --- isnt really something to do easily (horror stories of 4 HV chargers in the US and $10,000 for a Toyota engineer to accompany)

8. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Prius HV battery charger in my shop if anyone in Boulder/Denver needs a charge. I've revived quite a few dead cars that the dealer said "HV Battery is gone".

chronon likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please start a fresh thread with photos and operational scenario. Questions:
    1. Does it communicate with the battery controller or the whole, vehicle OBD bus?
    2. Is the car put in "READY" or ignition set to some given point to use?
    3. I've seen the small connector in the back, do you have a pin definition?
    4. What rate does it put a charge on the traction battery?
    5. Does it have the ability to do any 'charge balancing' between the 19 module pairs?
    6. Photos? Open box photos?
    7. Dependent upon having a Techstream for operation?
    8. Typical charge times?
    9. What SOC level does it stop or is this adjustable?
    10. How did you find it? Rough order price?
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson