1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Technical report on accelerators

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 28, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1 person likes this.
  2. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmm... I thought CTS had been given a pass by ATAC and the media since this is just an electronics issue? Oh, CTS makes these for Honda and Ford too, and they're made in the USA. Which manufacturer ranks right up there with Toyota in alleged SUA incidents? Ford! Although the TTAB guy wasn't trying to help Toyota, he just might have.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A cursory reading of the report's headlines suggests the cure is to replace all of the CTS pedals with Denso pedals. Is this being done? Which models and years were made with CTS pedals?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The issue that's the subject of the recall of the ~8 million Toyota is NOT electronic. See TTAC analysis.

CTS makes pedals for the automakers, but I doubt it makes "these" particular pedals. Per Toyota Pedal Maker CTS in Spotlight as Recalls Widen (Update3) - BusinessWeek "CTS also supplies pedals to Honda Motor Co., Nissan Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC and Mitsubishi Motors Corp., Khilnani said. Each company has its own specifications and designs, and there isn’t a common application of the Toyota part with other companies, the CEO said."

I posted links to what TTAC analysis was available a month ago at http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/76194-my-rav4-4x2-2009-built-in-japan.html#post1061179 and at http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...ic-shows-how-fix-gas-pedal-2.html#post1056240.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My apologies. I was not trying to preempt your earlier posting and had used the search function to see if anyone had already posted a link to the source, TTAC ("The Truth About Cars") article, apparently not very well. This was a case of independent discovery of the same source. At the time, I was a little surprised that my search through the forums had failed to reveal this source.

Bob Wilson

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    TTAC claims the pedals are interchangable. Toyota knew of sticky-throttle problem late last year - USATODAY.com says "Throttle-pedal assemblies from Toyota's other supplier, Denso, are not all interchangeable, eliminating that as a quick-fix solution, Toyota says."

The models affected are probably all the ones listed as an answer to the first question at Newsroom : Customer FAQs Regarding the Sticking Accelerator Pedal and Floor Mat Pedal Entrapment Recalls / Toyota.
    No worries. I hadn't revisited their site and at least found that added a couple pages (parts) w/some interesting info.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also pointed to it in my rundown, which predates Sikes and all
    the rest of the flap that came later... but now the whole affair
    seems to be dying down, and I'm quite sure there will be no
    competent followup until maybe some future big hairy incident. At
    this point the NHTSA has Rhonda Smith's old "god intervened" Lexus,
    and what do you think will come of that? It'll rot in a warehouse
    somewhere and be totally forgotten.
    _H*

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rats!

I turned 60 last December, which according to the driving statistics gives me a "00" license to kill. <grins>

Bob Wilson