1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Technology Package and Solar Sunroof Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by KartBoy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. KartBoy

KartBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am yet to see a Prius with both of these options (I am new to the game, but have been searching and searching). Does a car like this exist, or am I on the hunt that will never end?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US, it's a hopeless endeavor - the technology package adds too much weight to be combined w/ the solar panels. Solar panels are good for around 62lbs. I believe you can partially mix this in other countries provided you're using 15" wheels.

Believe me - I "cried" too when the car was first released and realized I couldn't get both features together - I REALLY wanted the LED headlights, but my climate (AZ desert) justified the solar roof as a higher priority.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How much weight does the AT put on? I have a yellow stick on my door jam that says the car has been modified and added XX lbs. Is that for the AT package? Kind of stiff for an additional ECU, radar, and camera. 2012s do not have the silly park assit.

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It could be that the solar panel package is too heavy to add on to the ATP -- semantics!

The "silly" park assist is an interesting and somewhat engaging technical achievement. Still, I've never found a spot where I thought it was worth utlizing. I've tried to use it on "tough" fits, but it would simply say there isn't enough room. I've then just parked it in those tight spots the old-fashioned way. Truly, I cannot recall the last time I even engaged the system.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, correct - the panels add too much on top of the Prius Five, which is the only model to receive the Advanced Tech package. Prius 5 also adds 17" rims (which includes a different power-steering unit and steering rack in the US - quicker ratio, but reduced stroke to prevent the larger and heavier 17" rims from rubbing in the wheel wells) and LED headlights (and ECU) with washers. Add to that the radar cruise (and ECU), lane-keep assist (and ECU), and power seats of the Prius 4/5, and suddenly, 62lbs for the all-glass roof (and solar ECU and modified blower motor) may be too much considering GVWR with five 150lb adults and 75lbs of cargo (825lbs max passengers and cargo) of 3980 lbs.

Also keep in mind that significant weight increases may also require an EPA retest even if the platform could handle it. You can only have so much variance before the vehicle has to be categorized differently. Take the Hybrid Camry LE vs XLE with it's different numbers as an example. They didn't have to on Prius 5, even though it's well known in the community that FE suffers on those 17" rims (confirmed by the chief engineer too).

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    150lb adults? Hard to come by around here!

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think many of us speculated this was the real reason you didn't see the two packages combined.

I have "suffered" with terrible FE that barely exceeds 50 MPG for the first 59,000 miles on my Prius V (5)!! I know I would have better fuel economy on 15s, but I really like the wider tire and the steadier stance on the 17s.

8. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just looked at mine, the stickers says added 11lbs. What does your 2010 V say?