1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techron fuel system cleaner question.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael Bones, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Michael Bones

Michael Bones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi folks. It's me Mike the newbie again. I have a quick question. After I magically fixed my poor mileage issue by only resetting the system with a 2 minute quick disconnect of the 12 volt battery (went from 26.5 to 43.8 mpg) I now have decided to see if I can clean the injectors out a bit. So I bought a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner at Walmart today. It says this bottle treats up to a 15 gallon system. Should I just dump the whole thing into my prius or is a full bottle overkill for such a small tank. I've put 50k on the car myself without doing a fuel system cleaning but this weekend I replaced the plugs,cleaned the throttle body,replaced the air intake filter and did an oil change. Final thing is the fuel system cleaning. I'm hoping to boost the mpg to over 46 mpg like I used to get when I bought the car three years ago. I normally just buy Arco gas because it is about 1 block from my house and the cheapest. Would there be any advantage to finding a Chevron somewhere and filling the car up with premium and then adding the fuel system cleaner or would it be overkill. What do you guys think?

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Use the entire bottle. Without the premium fuel.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you use Top Tier gasoline, you don't need the Techron. If you are buying no name gas, it sounds like a good idea every 50,000 miles.

Homepage

4. Michael Bones

Michael Bones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Every mpg counts when you are doing ride share full time if you know what I mean.

Take care,

Mike

Navitas likes this.
  5. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I buy top tier gas and Techron at Costco. Lowest prices around.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ARCO is Top Tier. I say pass on the Techron.