1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream bleed process after brake booster and accumulator replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Matt98svt, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just replaced my brake booster and accumulator that were starting to fail on my 2013 and have my VCI techstream cable and software coming in the mail tonight. Have been reading a few other post a regarding brake bleeding and wanted to see if anyone had tips on the process as I know you have to bleed the stroke sensor and do the linear valve offset after changing out the parts so a bit different than a normal bleed. Does the car need to be in maintenance mode or car running? Thanks for any advice. Install was pretty easy but now of course brake pedal goes to the floor when I press it.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you go through the full procedure in Techstream, I'm pretty sure it even learns the linear solenoid offset for you at the end of the procedure, so you don't have to bother with that second step (unless the system still shows the code about wanting it to be done).

It's all pretty straightforward if you just start the procedure in Techstream and follow the prompts. Make sure the 12 volt battery is well charged before you start, and try not to dawdle during the procedure.

Remove the windshield wipers and cowl before you start, because they're in the way of the stroke simulator bleed screw, and you don't want to get to mid-procedure where it says to bleed that, and then realize you have to take those out while the car's IG-ON and the battery is draining.

Tbkilb01 and Tombukt2 like this.
  3. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Started the bleed process with techstream and everything was going smoothly until I get to the stroke simulator part after doing all 4 wheels and it says ECU Disconnect error and starts the bleed process over. Not sure what else to do from here. Accumulator and booster both respond to when i press the brakes so not sure if it is an error with techstream or what. It appears another member had the same issue and he too was using a version 12.xx of techstream so im hoping its just the software and I can figure this out. Any tips greatly appreciated.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are you using for a dongle?

My first bleed attempt I had to start over from the beginning five times before it got all the way through. I was ready to set things on fire. The next time I wanted to bleed I used a different dongle (same laptop, same Techstream version, just different dongle) and got through it in one.

5. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    VCI j2534 is what it says on it purchased from amazon. So ultimately by restarting techstream over several times you were able to successfully get the stroke simulator bleed to work with your original cable? Ultimately, which one did you order? I have restarted techstream from the beginning twice already making sure the cable was showing connected so far, very frustrating for sure! In techstream after I bleed all 4 wheels and it tells about the stroke simulator bleed and I hit next to start, I hear like an electrical click like its trying to engage the stroke simulator and then it pops up the error.

6. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    you need a mongoose... or openport.. make sure the open port is authentic... I have 3-4 nonauthentic versions bricked..
    VCX nano also works.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also if you've got 3–4 nonauthentic versions bricked, that means at least 3–4 payments you've sent supporting people who make and sell counterfeit versions of someone else's real product. Which is not the same as making a legit competing product of their own, the way competition is s'posed to work.

8. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    you know.. I agree, just, I only bought one and now have a real one. the others were replacements.