1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream Bleed vs Invalid Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by psi, Nov 5, 2022.

1. psi

psi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently did a brake fluid flush on my 2013 and initially did the process using Invalid Mode as demonstrated in the Nutz About Bolts video.

However afterwards the brakes just felt way worse than before. The brake pedal was squishy and so I redid the whole process using the Techstream Bleed procedure.

The Techstream process has another step once you finish bleeding the different calipers. You go through this 6 step cycle where it bleeds the accumulator somehow internally. You heard various pumping sounds and have to wait for them to stop before telling it to cycle again (for 6 total rounds).

After doing it with Techstream the brakes feel amazing. Super tight and responsive, better than even before flushing - similar to what I've come to expect after bleeding the hydraulic disc brakes on my bike.

It's possible I somehow messed something up the first time, but maybe using Techstream does bleed something else internally that you can't do yourself in Invalid Mode.

Just an FYI for someone else who plans to flush/bleed their own brakes

refusedone likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So when flushing and refilling are you somehow emptying the system and getting air in it or how does that work usually I use a big syringe like device and suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir like down to the nothing in it and then I pour new fluid don't even worry about what kind but I put that in on top of the very little bit of the old that's sitting down there right on top of the feed ports and then I attempt to open something somewhere and let fluid out and it'll run the dirty fluid that's in the line that I'm messing with out at least which usually does something at the reservoir too so I wind up with clean fluid in the reservoir and clean fluid in the one line that I've got cracked that the fluid's running out of. And then I've got to redo the rest of the calipers. So I try not to get any air in the system from the get-go I do the same thing in my generation 2. In either I haven't gotten text stream bleeding to work. But I have good solid pedals in the ABS seems to be working well and no lights and either so I'm leaving that alone

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have hit the nail on the head: there are certain things you can do in Invalid Mode, which only puts the brake control to sleep so it doesn't set codes and shut things off while you are working on the lines and it thinks it detects leaks.

Brake fluid replacement is one thing you can do that way, if you're very careful, new fluid in for old fluid, no air in the system to begin with and no mistakes letting air in while you work. There is a procedure in the repair manual for fluid replacement just using invalid mode.

But sometimes people mistake that for a "non-Techstream bleed procedure", and that it is not ... as you have just learned. Bleeding the system—getting air out, if there is any up in the head-end parts—means more than just putting the brake ECU to sleep: it means getting the ECU to work all those valves inside the actuator for you, that you have no outside control over, and work them in the right sequence to chase the air out.

You may not need, literally, Techstream to do the procedure; I think it's the brake ECU that knows how, and Techstream just lets you send it the "yes, do that please" message. I believe there are some other scan tools available that also can send that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. psi

psi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I suspect I somehow got air into the system during my initial Invalid Mode bleed. Maybe not closing a bleed screw quickly enough. I didn't have a vaccum pull on the bleed hose. But then repeating an invalid mode bleed didn't get it out, only doing the Techstream process did.

I'm pretty sure the level of the brake fluid reservoir dropped during the last phase of the accumulator bleed, indicating it somehow expelled some air back up into it. The last step advises topping up the brake reservoir to max which would also indicate that this occured.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah likely. I’ve managed the non-Techstream brake fluid replacement a couple of times now. Was VERY careful doing the front brakes in particular, just a quick open/close blip each time, while my wife pushed brake pedal. Think you really don’t want to dawdle, have the bleed bolt open and brake pedal down to the floor. @NutzAboutBolts video was very helpful. Didn’t use vacuum either.

Pirated Techstream on a laptop (don’t currently have one) is a hurdle I’m reluctant to take on.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of the best things you could do for future PriusChat readers who come across a thread like this is to stop saying things like "Invalid Mode bleed". There is no such thing. There is an Invalid Mode fluid replacement procedure. and it is in the repair manual, and it only works if there is no air to start with and no air gets in. It isn't a bleed.

You can sometimes get away with thinking it's a bleed if the only air in the system is down by the caliper ends of the lines. In a case like that, if it happens to work for you, you got away with doing something that wasn't a bleed.

To do a bleed, you need to tell the brake ECU to do it.

7. psi

psi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was a hassle to get working, and I am fairly technically inclined, at least when it comes to computers. All I had was a Windows 10 laptop and many people said it only worked on earlier versions of Windows. Anyway it works now with a different Mini VCI driver and an older version of Techstream (13 if I recall). The newer Techstream didn't seem to work with my older Prius. Anyway if anyone wants to attempt it I'd advise just using the cable from the Ebay/Amazon purchase and discarding the software CD. Search forum posts to find the right Techstream and driver to download for your Windows version and vehicle.

The opening lines of the Nutz about Bolts video is: "What we're doing is showing how to bleed the system without the Techstream". If anything I think maybe someone might search for Invalid mode bleed, see this post, and realize it's deficiencies by reading through here.

The fact is that I had come across no posts on here that indicated Techstream did additional internal bleeding steps. Most people, at least DIYers, probably assume draining air/fluid from the calipers is equivalent to bleeding brakes.

I got quotes from an Independant and dealership to do this for me before I decided to attempt it myself. If I had taken to the independent I doubt they have Techstream to do this procedure as they weren't even aware that the inverter coolant was on a separate loop.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On many cars, you can use a scan tool to activate the ABS pump during a second bleed procedure. This loosens bubbles. It’s not usually needed unless the reservoir ran low. That’s probably what is being described here.

psi likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The guy making the video did finally relent and use a scan tool to trigger the proper bleed procedure. So that is what was described here, if you watch enough of the video. :) Edit: I was thinking of a different thread and different video, see correction below.

It's about more than just running the pump, but also which valves get opened so the air has a path to follow.

#9 ChapmanF, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  10. psi

psi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please point me to where in the video he uses the scan tool. I've watched I believe all segments of the video and afaik he does it entirely in Invalid mode. And at the very end finishes what he calls 'the bleed procedure' by taking it out of Invalid mode.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wait a sec .. I'm sorry, I was reading too quickly and confused this thread with a different recent one where some other video suggested just driving around a field and jamming the brakes, or doing the same thing up on blocks, was a way to trigger the ABS and get the air out. In that video, he ultimately relents and uses the scan tool before his issue is fixed. (He's also working on a Trailblazer, not a Prius, but it wouldn't work any better in a Prius.) I think Rebound's comment about activating ABS to loosen bubbles made me think of that other thread.

In this case, we've just got a video where somebody uses the invalid mode fluid replacement procedure but calls it a brake bleed, and happens to get away with it. You can get away with it sometimes, depending on where in the system the air is that you need to get out. (You can also think you got away with it, while air remains in places where you don't notice an effect on normal braking.)

#11 ChapmanF, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  12. psi

psi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh ok I can see the potential for confusion with both these threads happening at once. I admit there is something strangely satisfying about seeing air bubbles come out when bleeding a brake system.

I guess I just didn't realize that there is a lot more magic going on behind the scenes of a proper Techstream bleed than a simple Invalid mode flush.

I just hadn't seen the difference between the two procedures discussed at all, I guess bc most DIY don't have access to Techstream. So just hoping someone else comes across this and is saved some head scratching.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He says "bleed" but in fact it's a replacement. He's more-or-less following the non-Techstream brake fluid replacement procedure from Repair Manual.

14. psi

psi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I appreciate all the videos Nutz about Bots has produced for the Prius. But in this case I think it could be misleading to someone who thinks they are doing a proper bleed. At least in bikes I find brakes do get squishy as air finds its way in over time. I suspect the same thing occurs with cars brake systems. You don't really notice the brakes getting worse as it is so gradual.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If there's air anywhere near the calipers, I think brake fluid change would help. I think you can also introduce air, if you're late closing the bleed bolt. I think @NutzAboutBolts video illustrates well the front brake technique, with split screen showing the assistant's foot pushing the brake pedal. You want to do lots of little blips, close it fast.