1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream connect problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Crain, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After installing my mini vci (MVCI-T firm ware 2.0.4) and techstream(10.10.018) I tried to connect to car and got "cannot connect to VIM". I searched priuschat and found a path to a dropbox file with set-up instructions for setting up techstream. I did what was suggested still no luck. I ran a cable check with techstream and it tell me can't connect. I guess this means the cable is NG??
    I use the copy of Techstream that came with the cable I also downloaded a copy from dropbox. Do you think I should try and load the dropbox copy?
    Are there any other things I should try before getting another miniVCI.
    Don

2. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    +1, make sure in the VIM, XHorse is selected, if not it will not connect.

4. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Winn I have windows7 32 bit computer. The installation for the MVCI firmware and Techstream appeared to be straight forward.

Draco your instructions for setup where the ones I followed except I got them off drop box. But I did it after I tried to run tech stream and could not connect to the car. After I had trouble connecting I looked for a fix and found yours. Do you think reloading techstream will help. All the settings appear to be correct. X-Horse ect.

I ran the DLC3 cable check and it seem to be doing nothing ... does anybody know how long it should take for techstream to check the cable. After waiting 5 min I just gave up.
    Don

5. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well try this first, if not then re-install:

Turn PC on
    Open TIS
    Connect VCI to PC
    Connect to OBD2
    Turn Ignition to ON only
    Click "connect to vehicle" then turn to READY

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    DO NOT GIVE UP.

I remember, when I had the device a couple of years ago, I had all kinds of trouble connecting, but it was just me. There were a few little things I screwed up. I am almost sure you are having the same issues I was.

Sorry, I don't remember details -- it was a couple of years ago -- and I have not used the unit since (actually, I sent it back for a full refund since it arrived with a broken disc).

Anyway, I am sure you will get there, it just takes some effort. But the things it reveals -- it is so worth the 20-something dollars (I really should buy another one).

Danny3xd and m.wynn like this.
  7. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for all the help I'll try again tomorrow and let you know how it works out
    Don

8. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried a few things and still not connecting here is what I did
    1- I followed Draco steps for starting Techstream ... NG
    2 -I reload Mini VCI ... NG
    3- I reloaded techstream with a different copy I got off dropbox and made the change to IT3Systen.ini ...NG
    4- I reloaded the copy of techstream that came with the Mini VCI again made the changes to the IT3System.ini ...NG

I've checked in TS and the proper Mini VCI is selected other than that I don't know what else there is to do. I tried to run a cable check but nothing seems to be happening ... the computer just sits and is checking ... forever. When I click next it says line is bad. This happens for all the lines it tests. Ether I have a very bad cable or I don't know what I'm doing.

I'll wait to hear if you guys have any other suggestions before buying another cable.
    Thanks for all the help Don

9. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not for nothing, but take a close look at the OBD2 connector to insure the pins are not bent.

When you slide it on, is it smooth or very tough to slide onto your car's OBD2 connector?

Post a pic.

Buddy of mine, thought the China made product was as good as OEM, uh NO, the metal was much thinner on his connector and as a result it wa smashed and thru false readings if at all.

Danny3xd likes this.
  10. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks draco the pins look nice and straight and the plug goes on smoothly and the light comes on when I plug it into the pc.
    I checked the female plug in the car with a mirror and that looks ok. I don't think this is a machincal problem. I will order another one Thanks Don

11. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update ... I received another cable yesterday and tried it today success it connected. I did not change any of the soft ware in the computer so the problem was the cable. Now to learn how to run it without doing to much damage to the car. Any leads on where I can find some info on how to run techstream
    Thanks for all the help Don

12. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It is pretty straight forward. Make sure it is in stand alone version. disable the WiFi when using TIS.

Post a pic of the start page without it connected to the car and we can tell if you have standalone or full version.

13. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Posting a picture on here is way above my pay grade I'm lucky I get the dame thing turned on. Unfortunately I'm of the old gears and cogs school. Is there something I should NEVED do when running tech stream. As you can see I'm a little concerned about having a very expensive melt down in my sweet little Prius. Any advice is welcome.
    Don

14. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    :)

Oh don't worry Don, like I wrote, disable the wifi

You should see this when you open the TIS program and MiniVCI plugged in:

There should be only 7 blue buttons, if you have more you are not using the standalone TIS program
    [​IMG]

Now look at the left lower corner, you should see "XHORSE" if not, you need to load the proper MiniVCI driver
    [​IMG]

johnjamis likes this.
  15. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My screen is like the one you showed. The TIS screen is way to big for my computer. I can't see the bottom or right side of the screen. Do you know how to make the TIS screen smaller so I can see it all.
    Thanks Don

16. jjmerp

jjmerp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Change your laptop screen resolution to 800X600

DRACO likes this.
  17. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jjmerp it was on 800x600 I changed it to 1024x768 and bingo its smaller and I can see the whole screen

DRACO Now that I can see the whole screen I have Ver 10.10.018
    I was going to go out and hook up TIS but I think I'll take the rest of the day off and not push my luck.
    Thanks guys you are great. Don:p

18. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Good Job Crain,

Get some rest :)

Make sure when you connect the MiniVCI, it reads XHORSE on the bottom left like pictured above. If so you are good to go.

See post #5

#18 DRACO, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  19. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Draco Yes it shows Xhorse The connecting directions you have above (Post 12) are a little different then the ones you gave in past 5. I've been using the post 5 directions and they worked. Does it matter?
    Don

20. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh good. you are set to go.

Sorry, yeah use post 5.