1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by drives, Feb 10, 2017.

1. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    H, I was wondering if anybody could help with my techstream software/ mini VCI cable as it doesn't seem to be working properly.
    When I open techstream to my gen 3 prius it all seems to connect up okay, in that there are no error messages. I do have to manually input my vehicle details and then I get the home screen. When I just click on "health check" which presumably just comes up with any error codes it scans for about 30 seconds but then the results page just comes up as blank after it confirms there are no fault codes- is this normal? So what I get is as follows:
    upload_2017-2-10_13-0-15.png
    One of the main reasons I got the software and cable was to be able to check the health of the hybrid battery. So if I go to powertrain, and then double click on HV battery I get the following error message. This comes up every time I try and double click on any of the options for that matter...

upload_2017-2-10_13-1-37.png

Just to confirm the car is on (not engine starting but just press power button and no foot on the brake). I'm guessing something isn't quite right however..obviously looking at the codes above all the options are asterisked which means they are not supported/responding but I'm not sure why. Incidentally I did have the "critical update" message trying to force me to update Techstream via the dealer website so I had to connect off wifi.

Any help much appreciated

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Did you put it in an windows xp computer,if not won't work

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have it working on Windows 10.

4. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Its windows 10 and the program obviously works. Just doesn't seem to connect properly to the vehicle

5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Sure it loads but connecting is another issue,trust me been there

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine works fine and connects to my car with no problem.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like either your VMI driver did not load properly or a cable problem.

Fern1461 likes this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Techstream was written for 32-bit Windows, and Windows 10 is 64-bit. Techstream itself will work fine, but getting the MiniVCI device driver to properly load can be a challenge. I suggest that you Google MiniVCI and Windows 10 to find some guidance.

tankyuong likes this.
  9. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Techstream works with XP and windows 7. I got a cheap laptop for work on the car with Techstream and it came with windows 8 instead of the advertised windows 7. The program did not work. It could open up, but it would not detect the car when connected. HOWEVER, there is a way to fix it. It took a lot of searching and work, and required a little software know-how, but I do now have it working on Windows 8. I doubt the fix I used would work for Windows 10, but you should google "techstream windows 10" and be prepared to read through a lot of different threads to find something that works. I would agree with the above posters that your problem is that the software is not compatible with your version of Windows.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It will work on Windows 10 if you buy the correct mini-VCI package that is designed for it. I bought a version 10.10.018 package that was compatible for Windows 8 and 10 and you could select either 32 or 64-bit.

It came with a Text file with detail instructions and also a CD with step-by-step video instructions that worked very well.

My Techstream and the VMI driver work with no problem.

So those saying that Techstream will not work with Windows 10 need to stop confusing people.

vskid3 likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it can be 32 or 64. My Win 7 system was 32 bit, upgraded to 10 last July, see this just now:

upload_2017-2-18_8-58-10.png

jdcollins5 likes this.
  12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Calm down, nobody said it won't work.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You need to go back and read all of the posts on this thread.

14. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've googled it many times but no joy. Are you able to tell me how you fixed your issue?