1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream/OBD2 Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dirt657, Feb 17, 2020.

1. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked a bad battery car up here in the PNW yesterday and flew in and swapped out the bad module, now I’m taking a road trip back to California and will then recondition the battery properly and sell it. Upon start up this morning, I got a check engine light (might have had to do without the cold temps). I plug in my tech stream on my laptop, and it’s giving me the “Cannot connect to VIM error”. Yesterday, I scanned the car and everything worked fine with techstream. I packed the laptop and the cable in my bag overnight and now this. The cable LED light is green, so I know it’s getting power from the laptop. But it’s not getting any information from the car, so something is up. Any help would be appreciated.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A problem with a cable/drivers is most likely. Did you try multiple times? Restart the computer?

3. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have reset the computer twice and I’m not getting anything. I’m pretty computer illiterate and i didn’t set this up myself.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One thing that you could check is that you did connect the cable to same USB on the computer? Unfortunately as it's most likely a problem related to computer or the cable it's not really possible to help you much more if you're not at least ok with computers.

You could of could of course read the codes with some other tool or at some place. Then you would know the codes and that there's nothing in the car stopping you reading the codes.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also double check the pins. Sometimes they can get bent. Just bend them back with a needle nosed pliers.

Possibly switch to a different usb port on the computer?

6. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Computer only has one port.

7. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good call Eric. It was the pin

8. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was so dark I couldn’t see before

9. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Now after trying to bend it back, and then testing in 2 different cars, I’ve determined this cable needs to be repaired. My question is now, if I order a new cable, will it be plug and play or will I need to download new stuff?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shouldn't do as long as it is replaced with the same make/model (you don't say what you have). But in any case, if you change to a different brand, you should only need to install the new cable's driver and then select the new cable in Techstream.

11. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear. Thank you

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been there. Done that.

It's amazing how making mistakes and messing up really helps you learn stuff!

13. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the new Diagking tech stream here from amazon. The cable appears to be slightly different, however and I could use some help installing the drivers. Anyone out there that could help someone in need? I have team viewer.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had a quick look at a Diagking cable on Amazon, and it appears to be an Xhorse clone with v2.0.4 drivers, so, I would think you can just plug in this cable and go. There shouldn't be any need to install anything.

If you get stuck, I'd be happy to try and help. Just PM (click on Start a Conversation under my avatar in the sidebar) me and we will try and work out a synchronized time across the time zones.

All the best.