1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream readout, does it tell me anything?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by alftoy, Dec 31, 2020.

1. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Installed techstream and just hooked up to Prius to test. Grabbed some screen shots, wasn't sure how to test battery via Techstream. Not able to take it on the road, just sitting in the garage. Have no idea what this all means. Just curious about HV battery condition, whether to go Prolong or just wait to install a new HV battery.

2008 Prius 156K miles. Currently have the rear bumper removed, front end bumper and headlights removed. Thinking to replace belt, water pump, plugs, fluids while I have front end apart. Also have wheel hubs, rotors to install. Batteryminder maintainer hooked up to 12v Optima.

techstream prius.2.JPG techstream prius.3.JPG

Attached Files:

#1 alftoy, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ideally you would record a "movie" of the battery block voltages while driving - with heavy accel and decel. You would look for any "odd man out". Since it looks like the 12V battery was disconnected or very low ar some point, you can't tell too much from the scan data. It resets to default values and requires some actual useage before the hv battery ecu relearns it.

Techstream doesn't perform a" battery test" by it self. Apps such as Dr Prius just monitors battery pack voltage and amps while you discharge it from "full" to "mostly empty" and then the app does some math to give you an approximate capacity.

While you could record a couple of movies of voltage / amp data during a forced discharge cycle, I would think that figuring the math would be more of a hassle than just paying a few bucks for the "pro" version of Dr Prius and a reccomended obd2 adapter.

It's up to you whether you want to be practive or reactive about the hv battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

alftoy, Skibob and SFO like this.
  3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the suggestions, I did get a suggested Dr Prius OBDII adapter and sprung for the Pro version.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a check called "Hybrid Health Check", pretty sure it's using Techstream?

Toyota Hybrid Health Check - Toyota UK

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like @mr_guy_mann mention above, you can use Techstream with the vehicle under load to help identify weak blocks, but you might do better using Hybrid Assistant for logging and the associated Hybrid Reporter app for graphing. You will need a quality OBD2 bluetooth adapter for Dr. Prius and most likely for Hybrid Assistant as well : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus
    If you have access (rent, borrow or shared) to a HA Prolong charger/discharger set up, then that may be the best option.

Even if you purchased a new HA Prolong charger/discharger, you could likely sell it for close to the purchase price.

It sounds like you have a DIY attitude, and may be interested in the hobby charger path, this thread may offer guidance :

Dorman HV Battery with a new lease on life..... | PriusChat

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the suggestions, all.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see an ad for vehicle inspection touted as a "hybrid health check". Since it mentions checking the traction battery as opposed to "the 12V starter battery that's used to start the engine" I would think it is a fair bit of marketing BS.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.