1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream Version for a 2012?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DarkenMoon, Sep 15, 2020.

1. DarkenMoon

DarkenMoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all, first post here.

Is there a specific version of Techstream that works best with a 2012 Prius? I have an old Windows XP era laptop that is capable of running any version of Windows from XP to 10, 32-bit or 64-bit, so that isn't an issue. I have been looking on eBay and see versions all the way from v12 to v14, so I am wondering what would be the best version for this car, or if it even matters.

Thanks!

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think it matters. When I researched it, I concluded that running it on an XP machine made the most sense because it seemed people were having more trouble getting it to work on the later machines. Additionally, I had an XP machine handy, so for me it was a no-brainer.
    I'm running version 8 and it works fine on my 2013.

DarkenMoon likes this.
  3. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, let me hijack you post.

TvPierce: In order to run TechStream, it needs a cable and cable can be get from ebay type right? I'm going to use TechStream v13 and hope it work on Window 10 and I have Prius 2013.

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, you need a Mini VCI cable from Amazon, eBay, etc. which will generally come with a version of TS on CD ROM. You can actually download the software and drivers online for free... but without a cable, the software is useless. But if you find that the version that comes with your cable isn't working for you, the online download allows you to experiment with older versions.