1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Techstream with wifi VCI plug experience

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by whburling, Apr 29, 2016.

1. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have any experience with a WiFi connection to an OBDII plug as opposed to a USB connection to the OBDII plug.

I do know this:
    * wifi is established between devices (not between software). ie: the obdii connector and the laptop that I am using.
    * Techstream software is written independent of devices it is connected to.
    * Drivers connect the TEchstream software to the hardware (such as USB etc). Currently, for Techstream operating on Windows (any version), Microsoft provides the Drivers for Techstream data to be placed on the USB bus.

So the question boils down to whether drivers for WiFi know where to fetch the commands issued by Techstream and know where to place the data once it is fetched from the CAN bus (located in the car).

(please...no guessing....)

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wifi, or Bluetooth?

iPad ?

3. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So is the assumption you have an OBD-II WiFi device like this one? What is the primary rational for this WiFi, other than opening the possibility of a tablet-based Techstream solution?

4. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Afternoon BigFan!
    Somewhere in this site, I posted a lengthy explanation.

The crux is that USB based OBDII based systems in the reasonable price range are likely to contain a rip off USB interface chip that does not work consistently (while the original more expensive chip worked just fine). In the article I explain the details.

Purchasing a wifi based OBDII eliminates the risk of purchasing the OBDII USB interface chip. The choice of wifi has nothing to do with the actual benefits of wifi per se.

In the sequence of communication that contained the detailed explanation, there was a fantastic mechanic who added to the conversation. He actually bought the wifi or bluetooth version of a specific brand that we both thought might actually deliver a robust product at a reasonable price. You should see if you can find his contribution to this topic and ask him for his experience. I think he has been using it for 6 months or more.

If you can't find the conversations I allude to , let me know and I will look them up and point you to them (or send you copies if I can figure out how to do that).

Be aware: I am not a mechanic. I am a research scientist with electrical and mechanical engineering degrees. Hence my interest was soley to find out why my damn OBDII did not work and what I could do to fix it.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think the only benefit beyond what is posted right above me is that there is no cable inconvenience. Drew Technologies is the manufacturer of the Techstream Lite Pro (wired) version that I use. Upon further reading I noted at the time when I purchased, a while ago, that the wired connection was/is preferred for programming/going beyond diagnostics.

iPad ?

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A long time ago I saw a thread where someone noted that one pin/the programming pin, is disconnected on the cheap clones. That said my experience with one from China prior to the Techstream Lite was perfectly fine on Windows XP for diagnostics or settings changes until my antivirus noted some part of the software was malicious.

iPad ?

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    BTW- There is a known bugs list and there have been issues with certain software versions in the past. One time, in particular I remember issues with Prii, and that the solution for a time was to install an earlier version...

iPad ?

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is guessing allowed now? I was a Biology grad, CECS dropout back in 2000....

iPad ?

9. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

10. whburling

whburling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Evening

If you go back to my detailed response, you will find out that the OBDII USB port versions that gave people problems were NOT due to a missing wire or intentional whatever. the problem was that they were using a chip (see article for vendor and chips id) that was a knockoff.
    the chip pins are identical. the chip innards obviously not. My guess is that while they may have copied the original circuit, they had timing problems that we, as users, encountered.

regarding programming, Both OBDII versions are just as easy to program. The reason is that, in the last decade, most applications make operating system calls that handle most of the difficult time dependent code. (ie: drivers to the usb port was probably written by microsoft.) the code for these devices is all about coordinating command and response and presenting the results in memory in a manner that Techstream is expecting.

I have forgotten who is a reputable manufacturer. You probably chose one who used a bonafide USB interface chip.

Enjoy your experiences in life. it is short as I am finding out at the age of 71. just believe you can do anything at any age...maybe just a bit slower.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is probably the first I've read about serious issues with mVCI beyond malware, but I'm afraid I haven't been around the Priuschat forums in a while. What I did hope to do in my posts was post the possibility of a problem somewhere else. Yes, the wire/pin was not connected, but no issues with setting settings or diagnostics, just no reprogramming modules. I did seem to find the thread that helped me update to the latest techstream here, (I'm afraid I have to leave to my son at school as it is 2:3x pm here on the west coast. My mVCI was bought on eBay for $1xx.xx. I tracked it from China and it arrived express mail within two days if I recall correctly. I honestly highly doubt that $80 worth of shipping could have left them enough cash for a valid chip at that time. It was noted to customs as a professional sample, I think worth $20.):

(Solution) Mini VCI + Toyota TIS Techstream 8.x on Windows 7/8 64-bit. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

What I ended up doing is paying for TIS professional access, downloading the latest software, and using instructions from there. It will work without the "modifications" for the duration of your subscription as well....

12. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm the mechanic that whburling is referring to. I use the VXDAIG reader that is wifi capable. They have have a slightly cheaper version that is USB only. I never got the wifi to work right (I did not try too hard). I use my reader with a USB cable. It simply works much better than a Mini VCI cable. It is quicker and less prone to communication errors. All the Mini VCI cables use a copy of the beta firmware developed by X-Horse or Mangoose. Combine buggy firmware with the cheapest possible components and you have a cable that works sometimes or if your lucky most of the time. VXDIAG wrote their own firmware for their own hardware. They are a big company that makes readers for most car brands.

Brad

m.wynn likes this.