1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TechStream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by eman08, Jun 2, 2017.

1. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm running TechStream on 32bit Win 7. Any one else get that annoying nagging screen can not connect to network error message when you try to connect the vehicle. It gives you that count down.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Techstream on a PC is not very robust. (You get what you pay for.) It may take several tries to connect. It may be dependent on the PC and you may need to try a better one. Also check your 12 V battery.

I have the worst time connecting to the hybrid battery ECU, it seems.

bikr357 and eman08 like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep me to. I have a Vx Diag to and that's a little better. That's why I bought the Diag.

eman08 and m.wynn like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find the older versions of techstream to be a little better. Maybe doesn't have all the new features, but I don't think I'm missing anything either

eman08 likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to skip that part/not retry. It's not talking about connecting to the cars network, it's talking about not being able to connect to the Toyota Network. The next screen should be how many connections you have remaining, since it is not connecting to the Toyota network, there is a max of 30 connections. This 30, when at a low number, can be reset back to 30 by following the instructions included with the mini-vci

I've also found that my Techstream (64 bit version) will show that it requires updating and will lock at the update screen if I leave the wireless on. Disable/disconnect from all wireless networks and I never have that problem.

eman08 likes this.
  6. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I should get the DENSO Intelligent tester since it existed way before TechStream. Yeah it's annoying but still gets the job done. It typically cost ***Cough*** an annually $1,5k subscription ***Cough*** There is a light version I seen for $500 bucks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Budman241

Budman241 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just got techstream v 11.30.024 installed on my win 7 laptop. However, I can't seem to get any codes or even ECU communications with 75% of them. It sees my car and a few items on the engine and such, but nothing to help me at all... So, I made an appt with Toyota for diagnostis, ($100).... and maybe the tech will share with me why I can't get info.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    is 11.30.024 the latest and greatest? Mine is 10.30.029, but it has pretty much every screen possible and rarely ever misses on first try to connect with car.

9. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have no issues with it picking up all the computers. The version I have works with all Toyota/Lexus models from 1996-2016 as The Lexus GS-F even showed up in the list. Ha

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    would TS give me anything from the battery ECU that i wouldnt get from a reg code reader ?
    how important is it to have java installed for stability ?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ??? I've never noticed it doing anything with Java, but maybe I haven't spied on it that closely ???

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would almost be 100% that there is nothing wrong with your TS set-up. Most likely a shonky interface cable, given the non-existent quality control of the Chinese X-Horse knock-offs.

Try using a VxDiag cable. Or you could continue buy MVCI cables until you get one that works. You could buy 3-4 more before you will have outlaid the same amount as you would to buy the VxDiag outright, but with much more fun!

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The install requests java 6 update 7 or later

14. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When the codes pull up and P3000 is there when I try to get the sub codes then the SW dies and crashes after it takes a few moment attempt.

15. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yeah 32 bit seems to work , 64bit no worky. xp works, not as much luck on win 7 as on xp.

16. Scott Caputo

Scott Caputo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is there any easier way to TechStream running besides finding a PC laptop with an operating system from 2002?

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No. Not really.

Just go on Craigslist and buy an old dell. $25. TS is a knockoff software so consider it riddled with malware too so just run TS on it.

Remove all the malware software on that old laptop too.

18. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes there is. In fact it is the easiest way to get Techstream working. I have run it on both Windows 10 and Windows 11. All it requires to purchase is a VCI cable, I purchased a cheap one from Amazon and it works fine, but from what others have said that might just be luck of the draw on my part in getting a good one. You also need to download 2 files for installation.

The 2 files are free. The idea is to run in a virtual machine. The VM is a completely sandboxed version of 32bit Win XP and has no connection to the real (host) OS. The virtualmachine file you download is a complete WinXP installation the version of Techstream is 12.20.024-V2. This Techstream is completely configured for you and all you need to do is install Virtual Box from Oracle (completely legit and safe) and import the VM file and your set. It is ready to use and no looking for drivers or turning off anti virus products, it just works. You just start the VM when you want to use it and stop it when it's done. It has no effect on you laptop when not running.

I have it set for no network options at all just as a safe practice, but if I need internet for research I just minimize the VM and use Win10 for any research while the VM is still running.

Here is a link to the page for the file downloads and instructions. It says it even works on a Mac, although I haven't tried that. It also says 5 minutes to download and install... it took me 10 minutes. Stop looking for old laptops and OS's and give this a try. If you have even a moderate level of tech skills this is the easiest way to get Techstream running.

5 min to Download + Install Techstream V12 VMware for VXDIAG Toyota | OBDII365.com Official Blog

Scott Caputo likes this.
  19. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As Drone13 suggested this is way easier, runs on Windows 10 perfectly without any of the normal issues.

20. Jmotts

Jmotts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have tech stream on a surface without any issues at all. Just the usual slow when diagnosing