1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ted Nugent Jumps In On Gun Control

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 20, 2007.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 22 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]427823[/snapback]</div>
    I will tell you again: a car's main purpose is transportation. Unfortunately, deaths result from improper use.

A gun's main purpose is to wound or kill. Death is actually a result of PROPER use. That's why. It's a very easy distinction.

Notice I said "main" purpose. For people who talk about how they collect guns, that's secondary to the unit's main purpose. Keep collecting--if we could lock ARs up in a museum as a "collection," I would have no problems with that.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 22 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]427819[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not misrepresenting you as I never suggested that you support a ban. What I said was that the example of the fertilizer/Diesel post was to show that a ban is not a solution to mass killing--I was trying to clarify your apparent misunderstanding of that post and now you apparently misunderstood mine as well. I never said that you were supporting that. You certainly are defensive about it though.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I read somewhere that there were 20,000-30,000 gun laws already on the books. So how is making more going to help? In addition is it not a fact that in places where gun laws are most strict crime and murders are the highest?

Wildkow

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 22 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]427928[/snapback]</div>
    You may not have intended to suggest so, but the manner in which you phrased two of your responses to my posts in this thread certainly left the readers with the impression that I supported outlawing private gun ownership.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]427335[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 22 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]427777[/snapback]</div>

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 22 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]427847[/snapback]</div>
    I make no apologies for the hysteria of the PBS documentary! I had some of the rest of the stats in the rest of the post ... and in the linked extract of a FBI study. Like all statistics, there's a dozen ways to slice and dice them, but bombings have a much higher average victim rate. But they are more rare. Arson kills twice as many per incident than shootings, but they are rare also. I can't find any definitive numbers for total killed over the last 100 years either way.

The fact is that all of these rampage, mass-murder crimes are very rare, and that's why they make the news like they do. There are about as many violent gun deaths every single day in this country as there were at VT last week (11,000 a year, and that works out to just over 30 every single day).

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I did want to mention one other dimension about bombs though, there's a lot more room for errors than a gun. First off, there's always the chance you're going to f' it up and blow yourself up (that's if the fuzz doesn't come knocking at your door after your purchases have been reported and tracked), then the whole transportation issue, then, like in Columbine, there's a chance it won't go off for whatever reason.

With guns, there is FAR less a margin of error. It doesn't take too much effort to get one, obviously, you don't have to build it, and when you do get one, the chances are pretty low it's going to jam.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 22 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]428100[/snapback]</div>
    Good point ... at least some of the stories I've read mention that a lot of injuries and deaths are attributable to teens building bombs, before they get a chance to blow them up. I was thinking of my sordid past, and how our actions could have been misinterpreted; we just built bombs and cannons to see them go "boom", and not to destroy property or injure people.

8. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    well here's what the Governor of Virginia thinks of all these moronic arguments that guns should under no circumstances ever be controlled...

----
    RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said Monday he has closed the loophole that allowed a mentally disturbed Virginia Tech student to acquire the guns he used to kill 32 students and faculty members.

Kaine issued an executive order requiring that a database of people who are prohibited from buying guns include anyone found to be dangerous and ordered to undergo involuntary mental health treatment.

Seung-Hui Cho had been ordered by a court to undergo psychiatric counseling after a judge ruled that he was a danger to himself.

But because Cho was treated as an outpatient and never committed to a mental health hospital, the court finding never made it into the database that gun dealers must check before selling a firearm. The law prohibits selling firearms to people judged to have mental disabilities.

The database "should include any determination that someone is mentally ill and so dangerous to himself or others as to warrant involuntary treatment," Kaine said in a statement.