1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Telematics device hurting mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by csk47, Jul 6, 2018.

1. csk47

csk47 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2016 Prius Two had been consistently getting 52mpg since I bought it new two years ago. I switched insurance carriers to All State and agree to have a telematics device installed to measure my driving habits and thus qualify me for a rate reduction. From the time I inserted the device in the port under the steering wheel it seems my mileage has dropped 3-4 mpg. Nothing else has changed in my driving. I am tempted to remove it for several days to see if my mileage returns to what I consider normal. Has anyone else experienced a mileage drop after installing a similar sensor for an insurance company?
    Thank you..
    Casey

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't expect the device to have any impact, but it's hard to rule it out too.

Some people subtly change their driving patterns when they know the insurance company is watching- possibly enough to bump the MPG? Tough to say.

Most insurance companies only need to pull a 30-day sample. I guess I would run out the clock and see if it gets better afterward.

RCO likes this.
  3. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    There's no way the telematics device will affect your fuel economy, other than the almost immeasurably small reduction in economy due to the mass it adds to your car, and the additional tiny electrical power drain. They only read the very basic standard ODBII protocol data (e.g. speed). They can't make any adjustments.

I would suggest it's things like the warmer weather increasing the load on your aircon.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do we know the device can't be used by unscrupulous people with black boxes that can intercept and reprogram prius ecu's?

5. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    It's theoretically possible to create an ODB dongle that can reprogram a specific make and model of vehicle, either by adjusting factory settings, or updating the firmware (which puts the car out of action for several minutes so would be kind of noticeable). Given the huge number of variants of protocols, ECUs, makes, models, etc of vehicles, it simple wouldn't be economically possible to do this (nobody will pay thousands per dongle, nor hundreds of thousands for development, to achieve this).

But let's assume a Prius is targeted, and they have some way to adjust some setting that drops someone's MPG by an almost unnoticeable amount, that is so small it's insignificant compared to the the day's weather conditions or tiny variations in a person's driving style... Why? Why would anyone want to do this? What would it achieve? And how would it be worth the expense in research, development, and production, to create these devices to ship to insurance customers, and how would it justify the risk of (quite easily) getting caught?

Pixel 2 ?

RCO and krmcg like this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What about a data gathering dongle that polls too frequently and inadvertently creates a denial-of-service situation where the ECU can't maintain normal operations? That situation doesn't require any specific targeting or even bad intent.

...what about a perfectly ordinary dongle with a loose connection, flooding the channel with NACKs or the equivalent?

I really, really don't think that's what's going on here, just swimming the seas of speculation...

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    You can DOS OBD, sure, and it can have weird effects. In my previous vehicle, the steering warning light would come on, but nothing else happened.

I can't say much more as my experience is limited in this area of pentesting.

Pixel 2 ?

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You should be able to counteract the drop in mpg by installing the Fuel Shark! ;):confused::p:D:eek::rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 4.48.16 PM.png

krmcg likes this.
  9. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    ...or one of those magnets that wrap around the fuel line! ;)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd - if anything, I'd have expected it to have improved with you aware that "big brother" is monitoring your driving.

I GOOGLED "Telematics device hurting mileage" - and it came up with not just this thread, but some interesting complaints, though none about PRIUS - maybe worth reading.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Piffle. I just hold the pump handle with my left hand so it doesn't count as fast.

RCO likes this.
  12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This has all the sounds of another (music) Conspiracy Theory.:D

RCO likes this.
  13. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive had the Bluetooth dongle connected to torque occasionally toss a check engine light when your watching active data.. in the screen.
    I think the excessive polling of the data can cause some issue. I'm driving a 2008 with 236,000 miles.

SM-N950U using PriusChat mobile app

14. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an Automatic Pro connected to my 2018 Prius Two and don't have any issues with mileage, in fact on my commute home today I was able to drive over 30 miles and obtain over 70mpg according to both the car and the device.

15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And don't forget... TORNADO AIR!!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 10.17.55 AM.png

RCO and The Professor like this.