1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tell Me how to do my Job

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by TonyPSchaefer, May 18, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you don't know yet, I am an Instructional Designer for a Building Automations company. This means that I write the training classes people attend and the online courses that people access. My work recertifies existing technicians, trains new employees, and educates our customers. "Building Automation" includes the electronic brains and wiring that control the mechanics used to ensure populated buildings are heated, cooled, ventilated, de/humidified, and basically maintained in a comfortable manner.

With all that said, I have picked up a new project; one that I am pretty excited to be working on and I know most of you will appreciate. You see, my European parent company has always had an eye towards environmental action and energy efficiency in all of their dozens of tentacles spanning multiple industries. In fact, last year I wrote two classes - one for employees and one for customers - about how to run a commercial building more efficiently (very advanced controls stuff). My new project takes that same platform and applies it to the very core of the company: every single employee will take a series of one-hour online courses about energy efficiency, environmental awareness, and things they can do to actively address their personal use of energy and material resources on a daily basis at work and at home. I have the ability to address each employee's very values and hopefully raise awareness enough to stimulate action.

I have a list of things I want to address and have met with my subject matter experts. However, let me put the question to everyone here: How do you talk to people about energy efficiency, environmental awareness, and things like that? Please keep it on an elemental level: I'm raising awareness, not asking people to mount photovoltaic cells on their roofs. Before they understand the advanced concepts and approaches, they must understand the basic ones: how to define and visualize energy, the impact of recycling, and how to calculate their personal impact.

If you know of any really good websites with good explanations or ideas, please share them. Though I have a good starting point, go ahead and assume that I have nothing.

I'd like to see what Priuschat comes up with.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well i suppose in my world (surrounded by other broke grad students/postdocs) the financial aspect hits home hardest. i've talked about installing compact flourescent lights and how they save energy and therefore electricity and how you don't buy lightbulbs often and you save money on your electric bills. i talk about how infrequently i fill up my gas tank and how that saves me money, decreases my share of automotive pollution, and helps with the oil supply problems we've been seeing.

seems that's the way most people look at things unless they're very comfortable financially.

good luck with this, tony. :)

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Well, I'll throw in my $.02.... :)

From the standpoint of an average Joe like me, it's hard to become interested in such topics unless you grab my attention somehow, and do something I won't forget. Otherwise, to me, and a lot of people like myself, it's just another boring meeting I'll forget about by lunchtime (no offense, just being blunt and honest from my perspective).

...anyway, whenever I'm called to do such presentations or what not, I tend to engage people's attention a bit differently. For example, what if you started off the meeting by not saying anything, and with your audience milling about, walk around the room spraying some type of bathroom freshening spray. Then, suddenly stop and say, something like, "Because of what I just did, someone here is going to get cancer."

Something amongst those lines, shock value with substinance. Or, start with a silent slideshow of gross medical tumors caused by some sort of harmful this or that...

...again, this is from my perspective, someone that has *gulp* little or no real interest in environmental issues...

4. Mystery Squid

Maybe give them something they can take home? Something appropriately themed of course.... Like some sort of enivronmentally friendly pen or something amongst those lines... I'm sure there are effective "small" props out there somewhere... Who knows, a pen that had one of those contained "eco-systems" balls on the end... something amongst those lines...

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the Energy Management courses, the take-aways (other than knowledge and a very well-written manual) was a calculator with a flip-top. On the flip-top are the words "Energy Savings Calculator". During the class, we do calculations for determining things like pay-back period, optimal fan speed, pump foot-head, and other energy things so the calculator serves a class prop and tool as well as something they can take away and use back on the job.

This course, unfortunately Squid, is going to be delivered in multiple segments online. It's computer-based training. I could always take a picture of the calculator and email it to them as they complete the course. :)

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Slightly tongue in cheek, slightly serious:

Why don't you give everyone a PriusChat user id and ask them to join in on the discussions for an hour?

Or, maybe give them a treasure hunt type assignment and have them search priuschat and other resources for the answers.

Or, have them go to some of the earthday sites and make them take the carbon footprint quizzes and then follow-up with them about how many planets they are consuming (actually, I think this one is pretty good idea).

(side note: I've built up 15 years experience in building computer-based training for govt and consumer markets. video-based is a snooze and expensive to develop. Slideshow type stuff is just as boring. game-like, hands-on, simulation-oriented training is much more effective. PM me if you want some more info or advice.)

7. Mystery Squid

...if it's totally web-based, sounds like you could do a lot of stuff... Maybe have it all take place within a virtual Prius, whereas the information is presented within a slightly larger MFD???

I like what bigdaddy wrote, something to make it more interactive.....!

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be great to add the "game" factor. A virtual reality room/house where you identify items that can be recycled, wasted energy sources such as old fridges and poorly closed windows. Even with the more literate folks who use a computer, pictures are easier to identify with and it's quicker to the point.

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, I like that! Interactive room with various items that are hyperlinked or otherwise interactive. There's a couple different ways I can think of off the top of my head to do that.

I already have plans for interactivity. Trust me, even though I write these things, I'm the worse when it comes to sitting through them. If I can't keep myself engaged, there's a problem.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 18 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]257677[/snapback]</div>
    Tony

I do industrial automation but have experience with BACnet and LON. My primary experience is with DeviceNet, ControlNet, Foundation FieldBus, AS-I, ProfiBus, and Industrial Ethernet.

I approach building/plant efficiency the only way I know that will work: bottom line. Once you veer off into Environmental issues they tune out.

Let me know if you would like to see my PowerPoint or pdf presentations. I'm leaving Thursday for another 2 weeks so not sure if I can get to it before then

jay

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks, Jay.
    I just finished an Operations course on BACnet and am putting three new customer courses to bed. I do what I can to stay out of LON. :D

You are right, though. I know that there will be some people who see my course and say, "yeah, that makes sense; I'll start being more aware of how I use energy and focus on sustainability." Meanwhile, there will be those who watch it and say, "I just wasted one hour of my life when I could have been at a customer's site earning the company money."

I must play both sides of that coin equally. I have to tell them about our company's dedication to environmental sustainability while also pointing out that turning off their computers at night reduces their branch's overhead costs. Both things achieve the same end goal, just addresses both sides of the brain, so to speak.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since it is computer based training and every employee will be taking a series of one-hour online courses about energy efficiency, etc . . .

How about making the course an interactive game along the lines of simplistic Sim City. Give the employee X amount of energy, materials, or resources (whatever works) to consume in a day. The catch is - and this is the fun part - if they do not save enough energy, the module/course will “run out of power†and crash. They will have to start over . . . no backing-up – because we all know, with conservation, once it is wasted – it's gone.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of SimCity, how about SimEarth? Watching the oceans boil off and the biomass plummet is quite instructive. I would hope you are able to incorporate some kind of non-monetary indicators. The mindset that the value of everything can be expressed as money is a big part of the problem.

14. furkidsnprius

furkidsnprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 19 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]258232[/snapback]</div>
    I like the interactive games. I think most folks don't realize that something simple like putting insulation behind their light switches is easy only takes a few minutes then you can forget about it for years but the savings just keep on happening. For most of my work group they think about the big ticket items -new windows, siding, etc. and don't have the money. They feel the small stuff isn't worth the effort. The person who sits next to me shuts her monitor off every day. When asked why she says so she can get a raise. Every penny saved is a potential raise in the future. The companies really need to do more to help folks choose to recycle as well. There is one recycle barrel at work, 12 trash barrels in the same area. The recycle barrel is not on the main pathway. The smog issue is most noticeable from an airplane, IMO. When you are living in it, looking up through it daily, you really don't notice it so much. But fly above it and really see the thick layer of yuck makes it much more impressive.
    If you could show something like a mouse rollover for when an item is drawing electricity even though it is in "night mode" or "off" with a click to show how much energy is consumed while in that mode for an average year could be interesting.
    Those are my random thoughts. Best wishes. If you would like me to help test your lesson plans I would be glad to.
    Unfortunately apathy runs rampant in this country. Unless you can motivate the people to go home and make a change, perhaps by having an easy homework assignment, not much change will happen.

15. johnval1

johnval1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tony, hope you are still monitoring this thread. Sorry to be so late, but I just discovered this discussion. I have just got to get myself in gear and log on more frequently.

I had the great honor to meet and spend some time with one of the most brilliant people of her time. Perhaps of all time. RADM Grace Hopper, author of the cobol compiler and inspiration leader non pareil. She was the third programmer of the USA's first computer. She invented the term "bug" in computer talk.

Grace also gave me the best "take away" I ever received and which I still have some 20 or so years later.

Grace frequently spoke about economy in programming as saving time and resources. She spoke of these savings as environmental and efficacious. She once reviewed a program written by one of her bright young men and told him it was too long and inefficient. His reply was that the program only took a few more second of compute time.

Grace calculated how far the distance was in light year time for two seconds, and then broke the distance down to a nanosecond. Turns out to be just about 11 inches long for light/unhindered electrical charge to travel in a nanosecond. Imagine, she said, how much wire and resource we have to use to add two seconds to a program. Imagine the tremendous waste of our resources due to our sloth and slop.

Then she would hand out nanoseconds to us all in the form of 11 inch pieces of single strand telephone wire she collected from the waste bin in the Pentagon. She was famous for many things, but I will always remember this dear woman for her remarkable insights and ability to bring them into focus so easily - in this case by handing out nanoseconds. I still have my nanosecond and treasure it. I doesn't do anything, It is not interactive. All it does is make me think of Grace's lesson.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I gave up weeks ago. Haven't looked at it since. :D

What a great story. It reminds me of a story I read in which Steve Jobs challenged the developers of the original Apple computer to shave two seconds off the boot-up process. His rationale was that millions of poeple would own Apples, which equals millions of seconds saved for each boot sequence equating numorous lifetimes of saved time.

I, too, sorely miss RISC. When I was working on my Programming degree, my classmates and I used to compete to see how many cycles we could shave off the processing time. At the hieght of it all, we would write COBOL programs with in-line Assembler and FORTRAN for faster read/writes and calcualtions. The professors were not as thrilled as we were. :)

Grace was right then and continues to be proven correct at almost every turn. Sloth is not an action or a thing; sloth is a mentality, a way of life, and a downward cycle. Unfortunately, for many it is a tempting and almost irresistable mentality. Once smitten, those who accept its way of life find it difficult and even threatening to change their lifestyles.

17. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I talk about efficiency by sharing two stories:

1) A grandfather and granddaughter are walking along the street. The granddaughter says, "Oh look grandfather, a $20 bill!" Grandfather says, "Don't be ridiculous, if the $20 bill were genuine someone would have picked it up already." Bottom line: the $20 bill is real (efficiency), we just need to recognize and pick it up. Payback: immediate and long-term.

2) Placing foam gaskets behind every switch and outlet plate in a home, classroom, church or business is the equivalent of plugging up a one square meter hole in the front door. Cost: $20 and about one hour of time. Payback: immediate and long-term.

Read Amory Lovin's Factor Four.