1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tell me why Bush shouldn't be impeached

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by endoildependency, Oct 8, 2005.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Except that Bush's approval rating on just Iraq is at below 40% right now. I'm not sure that most americans still think that way.

I never said I defended the Democrats, nor did i say i share their views. i think the Dems need to get their act together, but for Iraq, i realize the reality of the situation.

That being said, I'm in the 60+% of people that don't think the President is doing a good job in Iraq.

2. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

JohnWPilot: though I vote Democrat at the national level, I'm not a "Camelot" Kennedy-worshipper (nor LBJ, though he at least had redeeming landmark domestic accomplishments).

And no, we can't "cut and run" as Kucinich and others advocate. Powell was right: we broke it, we bought it.

But the Bushies grossly underestimated the fierce sense of nationalism/fanatacism amongst the people who now blow up our soldiers daily.. Howard Dean was right: the "terrorism" we see in Iraq now simply wasn't there before. George Bush created most of it with naive stupidity.

Could a Democrat have gotten away with unnecessarily sacrificing American soldiers simply by virtue of sending them to their deaths with inadequate armor?

3. LaughingMan

You and I have different intereprentations of "gray."

"Gray" is not bad. I believe that gray is where most americans live, with respect to morality. Morality isn't a lightswitch. There are legitimately hard situations out there that you can't pass judgment on immediately and be sure that you are "right."

It's the mentality that Bush and others have that "either you're with us or you're against us" or, either you're right or you're dead wrong... that disturbs me. The world is not that simple.

4. roryjr

roryjr Member

You can think that all you want, but when talking heads that (God only knows why) can get their face all over TV and the newspapers start spewing this negative retoric, the terrorists (yes terrorists not insurgents) hear it. When they hear it, it emboldens them. They will never beat our military. The only way they can win is by breaking our will to win. If we pull out before the Iraqis can defend themselves against the terrorists, the terrorists will flood back in and take over. Then instead of the terrorists being helped and financed by the country, they will run it.

Democrats (in office) don't support our troops. When our military has trained the Iraqis to defend their country, the troops will come home and it will show that President Bush made the right decision. President Bush looks good, democrats look bad. Democrats find it harder to be reelected. Oh no ! We can't have that.

5. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Skipping some good points...

* refusing to create a new, truly "patriotic" energy policy aimed at conserving resources, developing new already-known technologies and diminishing our oil slavery to countries many of whom despise us

Oh please, are you one of those environmentalists that believes only republicans cause global warming and democrats fly around in solar powered gulfstreams?

* ignoring the lack of basic health care for 44 million Americans

unlike workers' paradises such as France where thousands die (many of them the elderly and poor and handicapped and children and...) in a summer heat wave.

...and lying, exaggerating, deceiving and misleading on all fronts.

He's a politican; his lips are moving; you really are a pollyanna.

Not as bad as a dress stain from a feckless President who probably needs treatment for sex addiction?

and don't forget he refused to create a new, truly "patriotic" energy policy.

Yeah, it's the Culture of Responsibility, folks. For everyone except Rumsfeld, Dick (Saddam WAS TOO connected to 9/11") Cheney,Tom DeLay, Terry Schiavo's husband and the Halliburtons on the GOP Big Giver list.

This is just bizarre. Schiavo's husband is part of the vast rightwing conspiracy? Does Hilary know this?

Read my lips. N-O M-O-R-E B-U-S-H

Whatever.

6. LaughingMan

I personally think that the fact that we are occupying their country has more to do with emboldening them than what are media says. Remember that the insurgence, as misguided as it may be, think that they are freedom fighters. They think they're to us as we were to England back in 1776.

I agree with you, that we have to stay there until the job is done, but it's a delicate situation over there, and Bush has made some key mistakes in our time there.

I certainly hope the whole thing blows over.

7. roryjr

roryjr Member

LaughingMan, if we could track your approval rating in your home town, I guarantee I could lower it using just the newspaper and local news. People believe just about everything they see on the front page and the TV news. President Bush is severely lambasted in the (mostly) liberal media every day. Bad things are on the front page. When they are proven false, they are either on page 21 or not reported at all.

Poll questions are also quite often written with a certain result in mind. That's pretty much how approval ratings work.

8. LaughingMan

I'm not the President of the United States.

I don't believe the media is liberal. If anything, the media is obsessed with scandal and controversy (no matter what network you go to). The media is pretty shitty, but just "conservativizing" it will do you no good. You don't need more conservatives in the media to balance out the liberals, you need more good journalists.

So I agree with you. The media stinks. But Bush did his part to dig his own hole too. That and he's got some bad luck lately.

9. roryjr

roryjr Member

FREEDOM FIGHTERS ?!!?? LIKE US ?!!?? I'm not a historian or anything, but I don't remember us blowing up our own children or killing their teachers during the Revolutionary War. We did not cut off our enemies heads and try to give everyone a glimpse of it.

Like Jayselle said, thank God President Bush makes decisions and gets things done. If he just hoped things would blow over (Clinton- USS Cole?, 1st WTC bomb), there would probably be many more buildings hit by airplanes.

10. LaughingMan

Dude... that's why I said " as misguided as it is."

You have to wake up. Those insurgents in Iraq aren't doing what they're doing and saying to themselves "Today I will go out and be evil."

It's a different point of view. I'm not saying i agree with it, but they think that their country was invaded and is being corrupted by evil western forces.

I don't think we're evil, but they do.

Consequently, you seem to think they're evil. And you seem to think Democrats are evil. That's your point of view.

You all need to sit down and realize that there are other ways of looking at the world other than your own. I remember when i made that realization. It turned my way of thinking completely upside down.

Edit: When i mean blow over, i mean that I hope the situation in Iraq cools down and we can bring our troops home because they finished their job. That's exactly what you want, no?

11. DanP

DanP Member

I can't tell you why Bush should not be impeached. But the dumb-nice person electorate got what it wanted.

12. LaughingMan

Bingo.

13. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Damn that silly Constitution and its silly electoral college.

By the way Bush won by a popular majority vote as well in 2004. (historical fact: largest popular vote in history)

14. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There wasn't terrorism in Iraq before we were there?

Where have you been? I guess reading too many of Dean's supporter blogs.

What do you call killing hundreds of thousands of people with chemical weapons, oppresion, and facism? How about attempted assasination on a US President? How about training grounds for terrorist supported by the Hussein family? How about threating scientist to develop nuclear power? Terrorism? Is this a grey area for you too?

15. LaughingMan

Not the same group of people. We tore down the regime that was responsible for all of that, and Saddam will get what's coming to him.

But the insurgents now, by all accounts, include the previously oppressed by the Saddam regime.

16. endoildependency

RonH:

Just saying that Mr. Schiavo, trying to exercise his personal, private responsibility, caused a megalomaniacal President to attempt to snatch it away from him by unprecedented Federal-level meddling.

Seems "conservatives" want to get the gummint out of your face---er, except out of your bedroom---er, except out of your deathbed---er, except out of your marital arrangements---er, except out of your (legal) abortion clinic---then, just like the "liberals" they vilify, they have to save you from yourself.

Personal responsibility, my a**. Personal responsibility EXCEPT for what it says in this here Bible...

17. LaughingMan

To put what you just said in other words...

Neither party right now is acting toward smaller government, although it's been talked about a lot in the last two Presidential elections. Both want big government, and both are essentially meddling with our lives, in their own ways.

That's unavoidable. If you believe that people should fend for themselves without government intervention, that's fine, but be aware that neither party will do that for you.

18. endoildependency

I WANT the government to meddle with the drug and food manufacturers (FDA), because you and I DO need protection from avarice...

I WANT the government to meddle with banking and other financial institutions, which have proven they'll engage in all kinds of stupid and deceptive practices---further protecting you and me.

I WANT the government to meddle in public health and safety, making my air easier to breathe and my water safe to drink---and yours. And I WANT the government to help save YOUR life by guaranteeing treatment when you face a catastrophic illness.

I WANT the government to protect us from REAL threats from other political entities, and from criminals within.

I WANT to give the government some of the money I earn to provide these services for me, for I cannot do them myself.

19. endoildependency

jayselle:

are you advocating invading the Sudan? Nigeria? North Korea? Egypt? Chad?

China?

Russia?

Where were all these HUNDREDS of suicide bombers/"terrorists" when Saddam was in power?

They're mostly Iraqis, and they're mostly Sunni.

20. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But what you really mean is you want the government to come and take some of my money to provide these things for you which by the way the government is really lousy at doing. Be honest, who do you trust more: UL, consumers union, or the calif board of cosmetology. And do you think giving more of my money will make it better.