1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tell us about your worst accident experience

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Priusmpg, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recently got in a couple of collisions. so I was think lets make a thread to share about others experiences.
    Lets make sure to provide if you were deemed at fault or not (no hate), if any injuries occured, what car were you driving, any thing else that may be important.

I'll start us off.

One of the collision I was driving a '13 Mercedes S Class, on the highway at around 50mph when suddenly the traffic came to a complete stop and my disktronic or some other radar system detected a eminent threat and brought the car to a compete stop, just when I got the sense of safety that a crash was avoided I was rear ended by some phsyco going way faster than the speed limit and my car became a sandwich, which was totaled and never even got to get a photo of the accident. I was taken straight to the hospital (against my will) because I'm a minor and my parents were not picking up their phones for some odd reason, so the paramedics said I didn't have a choice, luckily I was safe and no serious injuries, a possible concussion and just some minor glass cuts and a sore back. My car was part a sandwich of what looked like a three car collision the car called paramedics automatically I think it was mine or somebody else's I'm not sure it's a bit hazy, I reeked of the horrible airbag smell. With in 5 minutes police arrive and diverted traffic, I hecticly looked for my phone and wallet some how it got lost during the accident. The lady who rear ended me kept yelling at me for not being able to provide my insurance and stuff to her and kept saying I'm a theif and I stole the car I was driving, imagine her audacity. When insurance finally came out with a investigation, she was on some medication which does not react well with heavy machinery and not wearing prescription glasses (WOW!!!!!).
    You would think a teenager behind the wheel of a amg car will always be at fault.

2. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I made a wrong turn at night & was on a different road than I thought I was on. I ended up going off a corner & rolled my 77 Granada 5 times end over end. I was able to walk away. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow a roll over, I've had my fair share, it was raining and I took a off ramp in the dark (early morning 5 am ) and didn't realize I was on the Edge of the road and my car rolled 4 times into the ditch and passed out, I was scared of cars for like 6 months, I didn't even ride, I developed a phobia and some other guy pulled me out of the car passed out in the morning, I didn't have a phone and the door was stuck, I waited for 2 hours [​IMG] but this is within the week I got my license, I'm much much better at driving now with precision

iPhone ?

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Luckily, with 47 years driving, and 63 years riding experience, I have nothing to report.

hyo silver likes this.
  5. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That heck of a track record

iPhone ?

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You really shouldn't think this way. I might have misunderstood, but from what I can see, the S-class accident happened recently, and when you were still a minor. So I'm guessing you're still extremely young. I would hope you are much better than you were when you rolled your Prius, but you shouldn't think of yourself as being so much better - that sort of overconfidence will cause you to crash again. So try to stay cautious.

Yes, people do make that assumption.

I grew up in a town with a lot of retired people - the average age was 67. My parents still live there, are both in their late 60s now, and there are still a lot of pubs and stuff where they don't fit in because they're far too young.

When I was 17, I was driving home from work - I had a job in a supermarket. I'd used that money to buy my first car - a ten-year-old Peugeot 305. I was going along a fairly narrow two-lane road, and someone pulled out from a petrol station without looking, right in front of me. It was raining, and I knew I couldn't stop in time to avoid him. There was a bus coming the other way, so I couldn't swerve to avoid him. So I had to hit him. I looked at the situation, and realised that if I went straight on, I'd take out his right wing and all four of my left panels. But if I turned left, I'd damage my front bumper and right wing, and take out all four of his right panels. So I turned left.

He was 80, and, like your lady, wasn't wearing his prescription glasses. But that didn't mean he didn't initially get out and try to blame me because I was a teenager.

What amazed me was when a very old lady came across the road on her walking frame and said she'd be happy to be a witness to say that the accident was the old guy's fault. That made him change his tune fairly quickly.

He begged me to get a quote for repairs and let him pay cash. I agreed, and took full advantage of the discrepancy between the quote and what I actually paid, but in hindsight I regret this. The reason he wanted to pay cash was that this would have been his fourth at-fault claim that year. And it was Easter. I should have forced him to go through insurance, just to get him off the road.

7. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is correct i'm on the precipice of 18 but the Prius accident was when i was 1 week more than 16. After that i went and took many precision classes and racing courses which provided me with a allot of defensive driving maneuvers. I spend every summer possible to go to racing school and I am confidant that I have avoided a myriad accidents, I have even had to drive to do way to many things to protect myself and my cars, I really like every car in my drive way and would do anything to prevent any damages or anything that pose a threat to my life. I try to to be a defensive driver on the road and I have learned that streets aren't the place for going above the limit, its much more fun on the track anyway. Thanks for your concern, I'll try not to get in my head.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back when I was in college- I T-Boned a guy who ran a red light as he illegally crossed a 4-lane divided highway!
    This was 1980- so there were no sobriety checks back then- but as I approached the other driver I saw him swaying and he smelled like a brewery. I mentioned it to the cop as soon as he arrived on scene- the guy was cuffed and arrested on the spot.

His insurance co (Liberty Mutual) used every trick in the book to dupe a 19 yo (me) out of any money they could and told me it was 25% my fault "because I was there". They also told me they were going out of business and if I didn't settle for the 75% value of my car that there was a good chance I would never get a cent from them later on. Remember this was pre-internet 1980- it was not easy to pull up info on this kind of stuff. So I took the reduced money and that was it.

Lo and behold- 9 months later I get served with a court date- (arrested/convicted) drunk guy was suing me (with a free legal aid attorney) for the loss of his car! Luckily my insurance co provided a lawyer and the judge threw out the case the second the arrest/conviction record was presented to him.
    Boy- did that open my young eyes as to what kind of scumbags are out there!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, thats amazing how a liberty mutual tried to rob you of money, did you at least get a injury settlement?

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, there is a reason Liberty Mutual is the #10 worst insurance in USA.

Once we had the "you're in good hands" insurance. When my wife had non-at fault accident with an uninsured driver (that resulted in totaling her car), the agent would call her several times a day to pressure he to admit her own fault. It amounted to psychological torture. She resisted and we had a witness who came forward to defend. Couple of years after, that "you're in good hands" company dropped our homeowner insurance (we never had a claim). I googled and it turned out "you're in good hands" insurance is the #1 on the list of worst insurance in USA.

The worst part is, the unethical behavior of those companies gives them better profit margins and they are growing rapidly at the expense of the ethical ones.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True, I had 4 accidents (2 at my fault, only 1 major one) before I learned how to drive carefully enough. That was learning to drive cars with manual tranny and in extreme weather conditions.

So far, my daughter had 2 accidents (fairly minor, non-at fault) and she seems OK, but that is learning in automatic cars and mild weather.

My son just started driving, no accidents yet, I'm very very worried, despite doing simulator driving first and then driver's ed at his school.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pleased to hear it.

I love driving fast on a track too. I don't get to do it often enough, but it's great fun.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By "out there", I assume you mean "in insurance company offices".

A few years ago, our house was burgled. HSBC insurance tried every possible trick not to pay. I think this is the best of many examples.

• A ring was stolen. It was an heirloom passed to my wife. It was originally bought by her great-great grandmother in Glasgow in the 1870s. Her great-great grandmother moved to Australia. At the time of the burglary, we lived in Hong Kong, and the ring was 135 years old. We had photos of it, and we had an Australian valuation from ten years earlier. HSBC refused to pay out because we didn't have the original Scottish 1870s receipt.

Insurance companies came in for a lot of criticism in Australia after the Queensland floods a couple of years ago. A lot of people had home insurance that specifically covered them for flooding. After the flood, they discovered that their policy small print referred them to a website with several thousand words of small print. Buried towards the end of that small print was a clause that said the insurance was valid only for flooding caused by rain coming in to the house from above, and not for flooding caused by water rising from flooded rivers. The insurance companies only started to pay out once the government started threatening sanctions against them.

14. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    insurance scams are every where some companies are better than other but that how they make money'

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The insurance companies' business model appears to be: "We take money from you every month. We give you nothing in return." Which is certainly profitable.

Anyway, back to terrible accidents and the horrors of youth.

I haven't had much myself, and the accidents I've had have been pretty minor.

One must have been 18 months ago now: I was taking the kids to Canberra for the weekend. We'd driven the 300+km to Canberra without incident, and we were at traffic lights on the big main road that runs through the city. There were five or six cars in front of me, and I had been stopped for a good 10-15 seconds. There was another car behind me. I heard another car smash into the back of the car behind me; as that one ran into me, I turned right to minimise the whiplash on me and the kids, and on the people in the car in front of me.

There were four cars all squished together, but no-one was seriously injured. We got out easily enough. The repair bill for my Prius was about A$ 12,000. The woman who caused it wrote her car off (it was a new Ford Falcon). The car behind me was written off too.

The woman who caused it was working for a charity. She was taking two downs-syndrome kids - one her adopted son, and the other a friend of his, both around 11 or 12, and both with quite severe conditions - to a special event in Canberra, and one of them had suddenly s--t himself and screamed; this distracted her, and that was why she didn't notice the stopped traffic. Obviously the crash was her fault, and everything came out of her insurance (and they paid up without argument). But I did sympathise with her: something like that would distract anyone - I'd have struggled to pay attention too. I looked after her car while she took the kid off to a nearby service station to clean him up. The poor woman now had to deal with two very-scared downs-syndrome kids, one of whom was covered in poo, with no car, 100km from home. I did all I could to help.

One of the interesting things was when the fire brigade came to pull the cars apart. They asked me to go back to my car and check it was switched off: twice in the previous month, they'd dealt with similar crashes involving Priuses, and because they don't make any noise, they'd wrongly assumed that they were switched off. Each time, when the cars were pulled apart, the Prius started up and drove off by itself, and firemen had to run after it to try to stop it.

16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thankfully- even though my car (1976 Fiat X-19) sustained major damage- no one was injured. Cars back then had real bumpers. The other guy's car was some sort of galactic cruiser size Chrysler- so he wasn't injured either.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant insurance companies and drivers (can be scumbags)!

18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oooh. That was a very cool car to have.

19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My biggest accident was buying a 1989 Isuzu Trooper. :ROFLMAO:

20. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its been a rough 6 years. but in the last 15 I have had had no "at fault" accidents

my worst accident about about 6 years ago. I was driving a chevy Tracker (suzuki grand vitara) donw hill 2 lane road about 40. speed limit was 35. a cop was doing radar. this was 1/4 mile fro my front door. a honda civic. he made a turn onto my street from his street. he had a stop sign I did not his turn was a very "lazy" turn he cut the corner and I ended hitting him head on at 40 he was fully in my lane heading towards me. my daughter was in the car seat in the back. airbag deployed, the suv almost rolled over... pretty scary. especially for a 6 year old...

since then I lost two HHR's one with a very similar to the accident above, and another where a guy wanted to be in my lane and ran me off the road. (change lanes with out looking) thank fully he stayed behind and waited for the police. Hopefully the prius will change my luck.