1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temp "fix" for stolen catalytic converter?? (backordered part)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MFrancis, Dec 8, 2022.

1. MFrancis

MFrancis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all,

The catalytic converter on my 2012 Prius was stolen recently, and the part is on back-order, and will take anywhere from one to four months to arrive (I called about a dozen shops and they all said at least one month).

I live in California, and from what I understand only the OEM cat will pass our smog inspection process.

Anyways, I found a shop that was able to do a temporary (and hush hush) fix by welding in some pipes/tubing where the thieves cut out the cat. I apologize if that's a terrible explanation of the repair, my knowledge in this area is limited.

They told me it shouldn't be driven more than 10-15 miles at a time, as the oxygen sensor was also cut. They also noticed some bolts in the rear suspension that were loose and tightened those up, which fixed an annoying rattle I was dealing with, so hey, at least there's that.

Has anyone else had this type of temp fix done?? Should I stay off the freeways??

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the back ordered OEM Cat an insurance claim? If not:

Consider putting in a cheap, non-approved Cat, as a temp, possibly permanent measure? That should hopefully keep the sensor happy. You “might” even get through inspection, depending on how vigalent they are.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The OEM shows as available on Amayama, ETA Dec 22~25. For me $3625~ CDN, with undisclosed shipping charge.

They've told me with undisclosed shipping cases if you start the purchase, the shipping charge will be shown before you commit. I've used them for small items 4~5 times now, and the part cost plus shipping is all that's charged, no import fees or taxes on top. Never any problems, shipping a little slow most recently, almost 2 weeks IIRC (for small items, intake manifold gaskets).

Just speculation on shipping: $200~400?

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/prius/3-hatchback-right-xw30-2009-2830/engine-fuel-system-and-tools-1/exhaust-pipe-26

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1741037310

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Someone from California said if you call around, some dealers have them.
    He got one a few days ago

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Use the cheap bolt-in replacement catalytic converter that works everywhere except California I have one on one of my cars here at least that gets you in normal bolting installation and everything so when the time is right or the next inspections due and you can have the pipe by then it just bolts in no serious modifications hopefully the shop that did the work to your car didn't make any crazy modifications to the exhaust manifold down portion but however at least you can drive your car if you're driven your car with nothing there as long as you're not wailing on it down the highway in town what have you a down pipe really is kind of irrelevant until you start wanting to go fast

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MagnaFlow was approved just over a year ago. But not any cheaper.

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    While it’s sometimes less costly to import small and lightweight parts directly from sellers in Japan such as Amayama Trading, I couldn’t recommend this for a front exhaust pipe assembly:
    • The part includes not only the catalytic converters but also much of the exhaust pipe, and its size and shape almost certainly excludes it from EMS shipping and probably means high costs for dimensional weight if shipped by air.
    • The U.S. Customs and Border Protection limit for an informal entry is $2,500. Merchandise of greater value, such as this part, requires a formal entry, which usually means hiring a customs broker or paying the carrier’s fee for this service, and paying import duties (if applicable; catalytic converters, HTS number 8421.32.0000, enter duty free, unless from China) and merchandise processing fees.
    • Amayama might not be able to get the part, soon or at all. I think their “>1” availability just means the part is listed in a recent price file as active and not discontinued or superseded, so they’d be willing to try to order one from their distributor. It’s definitely not a delivery commitment.

Consider that the same “>1” appears for part number 12000-45A10, probably the most expensive Toyota part, a 1LR-GUE engine assembly for a Lexus LFA supercar with the Nürburgring Package, which even an authorized Lexus dealer wouldn’t be able to get without an identified owner, a VIN, and a very good story.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well you wouldn't order the one l engine from a Toyota dealer with the Nuremberging. Like a beams 3SG or GTE you would get that from the JDM suppliers on special order contingency just like they do now with a lot of the hyped up Toyota engines that go in various models that we don't need to go into here The JDM importers have a lot of these engines they start at like $7,000 with wiring looms transmissions and the whole nine laid on top of the valve cover and pallet when you buy it so it's called the complete engine swap It has everything generally you'll need to put that engine and it's American counterpart which has the steering wheel on the other side of the car so sometimes there are other parts that will need to be played with too I have done some of these swaps in the late '80s with the beams 3S engines that were used in some rally cars some of the big one UV8s I think they were I can't remember they were just big lunks of engines. That crazy car crowd of US people was desiring to swap into their various Toyotas at the time they were trying to produce some of the super super cars before the one JZ was out anyhow.

10. jafca09

jafca09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The same thing just happened to me. I'm also in California and was told it could be up to 6 months to get an OEM catalytic converter replacement in stock. Both the insurance adjuster and the dealership service center said that I should think of my car as functionally inoperable until the replacement is available.

I echo the original poster questions and ask whether:
    1. There are any tips to getting an OEM part more quickly (called around to several places across CA already to no avail).
    2. There are any temporary fixes that would make the car usable (and legal to drive in CA) until a permanent fix is possible.

Thank you.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did either of them say they owe you a loaner?

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Would it not be legal enough to just bolt in the cheap aftermarket setup I mean it's just until something happens in the real world You've got how many years until your next inspection The thing just bolts in you shouldn't have to do any welding it's flange to flange put two coolant hoses together and let it rip No one is the wiser nobody cares until the new part comes in and then for bolts two plugs and it's out of there and the new ones in can be done in the driveway if it really necessary I guess I'm just not seeing what all the big humongous problem is other than having to spend 200 bucks on the equivalent of a catalytic converter block off pipe like the old days except now you're actually buying just a cheap catalytic converter that doesn't have the water jacket just chalk it up to what you got to do and then you'll save that part for when it gets stolen again or cross your fingers

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In CA, it would not be legal.

That said, if I were in that situation, I'd very strongly wonder if I could get away with such a stopgap solution long enough for the supply chain to deliver the proper solution. Just don't tell anyone about it ...

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Exactly and until your next inspection or smog check or whatever you're good hell even when the park came in I would still ride around with this part on and take it to smog and see what happens just for haha's they can't do anything when they start talking crazy just tell me that's what's the temporary fix nobody had the part it was back ordered all over the world what are you kidding me blah blah blah now you see the parts in the trunk this weekend and then I'll be back to see you folks I guess because I can imagine you're fixing to give me a fail and fix it was expected..

15. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    90 degree spark plug anti fouler works. Make sure it has the compression washers and the tip hole needs to be like 2-3mm. It will still think the car has a catalytic converter. If you will fail with an aftermarket cat, just do this. Exhaust pipe, labor, and adapter are like $120.