1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temp sensor failure-okay to ignore?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Roadtripprius, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Roadtripprius

Roadtripprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgive me if this has been asked before but I can’t find anything exactly the same.

My engine light came on, and I brought it to my mechanic who took the codes and told me that I had a faulty temperature sensor for my hybrid battery. I can’t remember the exact code but he showed me the screen and it said “temperature sensor failure”

it’s running perfectly fine, keeping a charge and I get ~40mpg doing mostly city driving.

He didnt have the part, and I moved and kind of forgot about it for a while. Finally called the dealership who said they could order the part....but because they have to open up the hybrid battery the labor will cost ~$1200, which doesn’t even make sense to spend on such an old car.

The light has been on for 6 months and I’ve periodically checked the codes to make sure that’s the only one it’s throwing, and I still don’t have any issues with it running. But I’m driving ~600 miles up the state next week so I’m a little worried if it could cause problems.

thanks for any advice!

tangerino likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What a criminal joke that Toyota stealership is... It takes an hour, maybe two to do that whole job. But the scam is to make you think it's not worth the money so they can sell you a new car.

First step... Get one of these devices: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus and then install Dr. Prius app on your phone, which will allow you to read error codes and clear warning light, as well as monitor battery temperature readings. And if you, or anyone you know, likes to work on cars there's plenty of youtube videos on how to remove the pack and you can find a new temp sensing harness used for cheap online.

tangerino likes this.