1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temperature-Down vs. Front-Defrost Buttons

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My parents had the '58 bug (is that the only model there was), and I had a few opportunities to drive it with learners license. Little things stick in my mind, like you had to be fully stopped to shift back to first, the lack of a gas gauge (used a stick), and the manual choke. Mostly, the smell: love that VW smell, they still have that smell (at least as of about 10 years back), takes me back.

Our (my) first was an 81 Civic, and it had the manual choke still, the only vehicle we had thus. The next, an 83 Accord I believe, had automatic choke, that would automtically stall when touching the gas, after the first red light getting out of our subdivision, regular as clockwork. No recourse but to roll through, pull over and restart.

To be fair, there was a defective check valve. Dealership was not able to diagnose, I finally figured it out.

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I was a kid living on Long Island (admittedly I directly remember very little of it - 3 to 5 years old), we had a SAAB with a 3-cylinder, 2-stroke engine. Pretty peppy actually, but it really freaked people out when you poured oil into the gas tank!

Anyway, it had a ... very unusual ... heater arrangement: The radiator was mounted, not in the front grille, but close to the firewall, behind the engine. If you wanted cabin heat, you opened, essentially, a sliding curtain at the firewall line that let radiator-cooling air into the cabin!

iPad ? Pro

CraigM and Mendel Leisk like this.