1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temperature sensor of my hv battery mistakenly cut

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kolez2000, Sep 10, 2021.

1. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,! He temperature sensor of my hv battery cut while I was coupling the battery. My scanner is complaining about the sensor (A). What do I do?

2. RobInKent

RobInKent New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These temperature sensors are 10 kOhm Negative Temperature Coefficient thermistors (resistance drops as temperature increases)

Solder one of these in place of any damaged sensor, ensuring it suits in the original position against the battery module, and you'll be good to go - I've repaired more than a few damaged temperature sensor looms this way...

Hope this helps
    Rob

bisco and fotomoto like this.
  3. kolez2000

kolez2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Robinkent thanks for your advice. The part of the sensor that cut it the end of the sensor. It can not be solder. It is the end of the sensor. The end that has plastic at the end. It is at that point the wire cut.
    I tried to put it in but I am not sure it would work.
    Also with the wire cut, would if affect the movement of the car? I mean the speed, when I try to climb a hill, the car slows down. No fault code on transmission.
    How do I resolve this?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you are unable to repair your sensor, then you should replace it. Look for prius hybrid battery temperature sensor- see what the dealer wants vs ebay.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. RobInKent

RobInKent New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Screenshot_20210911-203727_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210911-203734_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210911-203755_Gallery.jpg The new thermistor comes with wires attached. Cut the bad sensor off a couple of inches up the wire, then sort the same length of wire in place from the new thermistor.
    With the wire cut, the temperature of the battery pack can't be monitored fully, so it is likely that per available to the motor will be reduced. You should still be able to climb a hill using the engine power though... And I'd expect a fault code to be thrown in any case. Are you sure your scanner can read the non-basic codes as well as the generic OBD codes? The car may be throwing a code without illuminating the MIL. I've known Gen II to do this, or to light up like a Christmas tree...

6. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i just saw that whole wire harness on ebay for $49.. i have a spare battery pack, if you want that harness i'll beat the ebay price.