1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temporary Charge Problem?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by kevin54, Jan 31, 2017.

1. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello,
    I have the Prime Premium and have been charging mostly every day. I do not have a time set for charging - Charge is upon plug-in. Today I plugged in in (it was only half de-charged) and the green light lit inside the lid and both lights were lit on the charging cable. However there were no blue lights lit on dash board. I opened the door to see what display came up (it usually shows time to full charge) but now it only showed the message "charge upon plug-in" or something similar. I disconnected/reconnected the plug but no dice. I turned on the vehicle and was going through some menus - I then swiped down on the screen and the screen went blank and it seems the car shut off. Not just the screen but the car too. I turned it back on but it seems it was only in accessory mode. In any case, it seems now the blue lights were flashing and I got a "time left to charge" message on the screen.
    BTW, the other day while driving, I stopped at a light and the screen went blank - it seems something re-booted, although the car stayed on - it was only the display that re-booted.
    Any ideas why this might have happened? BTW, the car had been parked in the hot sun for a while, but the air temp is less than 60 degrees.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am pretty sure the delay before the blue lights coming on has something to do with prepping the battery for charging. It may need to run the battery heater a bit before charging starts.

3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    when the car is plugged in and you turn on the car the display and the car stays on for about a minute or two then shuts off, this is normal, the 2012-2015 PIP also did this.Since it was 60 degrees I don't think the battery heater kicks in. Unless you have selected climate prep

4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NHTSA has lots of reports about this kind of probelm. Relatred to Entune over the air traffic and weather data errors from their service provider. All models seem to has this from the reports. Can't find the link while I'm moble. Desktop history list has it so later if I remember.

5. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks everyone. The issue with the blue lights not being lit - perhaps there was some "prep" going on with the battery but it couldn't have been heating since it is very moderate out. Also, I had it plugged for at least 5 minutes with nothing happening.

That's interesting to know about turning the car on when charging - I didn't know it might automatically shut off after a minute or two.

Also the issue with the reboot of the screen while to driving - I've heard of a few on here too of this happening, mostly with Advanced models I think.

Kevin

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  6. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Soon we will all be afraid of our own cars....

Pizza Driver and thatoneraccoon like this.
  7. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On my wife Prime this was also problem that happened once and she have them look one more time and i believe they did some software update....nothing like that happened anymore

8. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Think I was reading somewhere on here where another prime driver kept having his displays reboot and the such, I think he found out it was because he had his phone connected to the usb port. he quite using the usb port and got a plug in to the lighter adapter and I think if I remember right he didnt have any more problems after that. if your not plugging anything into the usb, then im not sure why it rebooted. hopefully just a one time thing or atleast very rare. I have had some problems with mine, but it has never had any problems with the display or charging.
    However I will note on that, I think when my Volt would loose the AC power to the charger and when AC would come back, it would not start charging again until I unplugged and plugged back in the car. I am not sure how the prime with deal with that as I have not yet lost power since ive taken delivery of the prime, but will find out.

9. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was one of the people with that problem. Turns out it was the after market black colored cable I was using. Switched to an Apple made white one, no more problems. Learned about it from another poster that had the same problem and same solution.

Just unplugging USB works too, but I wanted it for recharging and audio.

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  10. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have had this happen a couple times now. I mostly know it happens when the radio is either turned off or it changes to a channel we don't even have in our pick list. It happened the other day when we stopped at a light, sort of annoying as I was listening to that song on the radio :D. At least I wasn't attempting to sing along as it would have been a little embarrassing to be singing without the radio.

Guess I may need to go see if there is an update for the display so maybe it won't go insane on its own.