1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Temporary plates about to expire

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Joshua Laymon, May 21, 2017.

1. Joshua Laymon

Joshua Laymon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a question and was hoping to count on other people's knowledge to help. I purchased my Prius prime out of state. When I did so the dealer said it was a requirement of the loan that I had to let them handle the license title and registration of the vehicle. Therefore I paid them to handle that for me. I didn't want to do things that way but they insisted that it had to be done. I could've easily handled the situation in about 20 minutes at my local DMV. They warned me at the time that Missouri which is my home state is very slow about processing new plates. I found that hard to believe. They basically told me that after I left the matter was out of their hands and not to bug him about it. Here I am almost a full months later and I still have no plates. They expire in 3 Days at Which I won't be able to legally drive my car. Somehow this doesn't seem right.

Does anyone have any idea on what recourse I can take? Would it be possible for me to go into my local DMV and get a new set of temporary plates issued for the state? My current temp plates are out-of-state. Should I start calling the dealer and the company that they used to facilitate this transaction to threaten them? should I let Bank of America know that my car isnt legal to be driven because of their policy?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've had mine expire before on a local, in state purchase. I just called my salesman and had them give (mail) me another paper plate. You paid their commission, have them earn it.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange, strange set up in the 'States. My experience in BC: invariably when you go to pick up the car, the dealership has arranged for an insurance agent to meet with you there, and he/she brings along a handful of plates, so you can even have a bit of choice. The car does not roll off the lot without installed plates.

4. Joshua Laymon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah from my perspective that sounds really weird... maybe better, but weird

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ages ago in NJ dealers were able to keep license plates in stock. I don't know when the rules changed or what the catalyst was,

My guess is the dealer applied for the plates, MO mailed them to the dealer and they are laying around the office waiting for you to pick them up because stuffing them into an envelope and dropping them in the mail is certainly too much effort for their title clerk.

Can one call the motor vehicle agency to find out if plates were issued? At least call the dealer to follow up and remind them that you haven't submitted the customer satisfaction survey. If you can't get anywhere with the clerk, talk to the sales manager or general manager.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Somebody's getting paid too much.

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In California, the paper plates on the new car just have the dealer name on them. No dates or unique number. When you buy a car, the dealer provides a "temporary registration" which is put on your windshield behind a clear sticky label. If you are stopped, you can peal off the temporary registration and give it to the officer. Some people keep the temporary plates on indefinitely, primarily so they can dodge bridge tolls, which take a picture of the plate if a toll transponder is not detected. There has been talk of requiring numbers on the paper plates so that the owner can be identified, but I don't think that that has gone anywhere. Dealers say "too much hassle".

8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Call the dealership and ask to speak with the clerk who handles licensing and registration. If that doesn't work ask to speak with the general manager. Know the state agency in the state you bought from that handles vehicle licensing and let the general manager know that you're ready to file a complaint with that agency. Be direct but always be business courteous. Courteously demand what you need and have already paid for.

Call your local auto licensing agency and find out what you can do there.

9. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had the same problem. Vehicle purchased in California registered in Arizona. Call the dealer where you purchased the car. All I needed was a copy of the CA registration which the dealer had done a few days after purchase. Dealer never sent me a copy (new trainee in the titling office), CA MVD was never sending one either as it left the state on the day I purchased it. Calling the licensing in your state to find out exactly what they need would be a good idea too.

10. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This is a good idea even before you buy your car out of state. Knowing what needs to happen and a timeline can prepare you for the unexpected.

11. JoePriusPrime

JoePriusPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Buying a new vehicle in Colorado the dealership gives you a temp paper plate good for 60 days. The DMV usually take their time and ship the paperwork plus permanent plates to your address at around 45 days.

I also bought my Prime out of state in NJ. Their policy was to have the Colorado DMV mail the dealership in NJ the license plates then the dealer will mail it to me in Colorado. NJ temp is only good for 20 days so I hope my plates arrive soon.

12. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a story about Steve Jobs (co-founder of Apple computer) one of the richest people ever, that he never purchased the actual plate, just kept the temporary CA tag on indefinitely. And he drove Ferrari's ... but wouldn't pay the State for the actual plate!

13. Joshua Laymon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    OK. Problem solved. A spent the whole day going round and round with this issue just trying to keep my car legal. Here is what I learned in the process.

MO and NY DMV's both refused to reissue new temp tags even though I had done nothing wrong. They were set to expire the next day and honestly nobody cared enough to do anything about it. They would rather let my car sit than have one ounce of human emotion.

I had been told by the dealer that MO was notoriously slow in processing application. Therefore the dealer started ignoring my phone calls. I had emailed on Sunday night informing them of an issue and then on Monday when I started calling they just wouldn't answer for me. I tried about 20 times, calling, leaving messages, texting. Absolutely nothing. Terrible customer service after the sale if you ask me. The only reason why I won't call them out by name is because the sale went smoothly and I have to give them credit for that. Then, one time, someone aside from the receptionist actually picked up. It was a woman whom I met at the dealership and I enlisted her help. She apparently didn't get them memo about it being 'Lets not help Josh day'.

While I had this woman helping me on the dealer side I decided to contact PlateCo, the company in NJ that facilitates out of state licensing. She was decent at first. She told me that all the paperwork had been send to MO DMV on May 4th and that they were waiting for them to process everything. That means that they had it for 3 weeks. Thats too long and I wasn't going to stand for it. I hopped in my car and drove to the state capitol. I googled the main office for the DMV and walked in. I explained the situation to the very very nice lady working there and she pulled up my records without hesitation. I was told my application had been rejected....because the stupid PlateCo people had sent a blank check. Thats right, no money. They were notified of that on the same day that they received the application. I wouldn't exactly call that slow service on the part of the DMV.

While in line at the DMV I called up PlateCo to confront her with the fact that she lied/withheld information from me. I very calmly explained that the DMV had processed everything but that it was her mistake that led to the delay. It was at this point that she went from being marginally decent to incredibly rude. If I had to make this purchase all over again and I found out the dealer was using this company for their licensing I would probably tell them to find someone else or I would walk, it was just that bad. She was yelling at me while on speaker at the DMV. She said how she didn't have time to deal with people like me. That her only job was to deal with the dealers, not the customers. I told her that since I was the one who paid her the $200 for her service then I was the one who would be asking the questions. I told her that she lost that right when she mailed out a blank check and screwed me over. She said that she was busy and she would look into it another day. I didn't let it go. I told her she would put down what she was doing, contact the dealership to get more information about the status of the check, and then call me back right away.

Much to my surprise, she actually did. She left just as hateful of a voicemail on my phone. It contained tracking information about the check that was reissued. It even included the name of the woman at the DMV that signed for it the second time. Bingo. I went back to the DMV and played the voicemail for the lady there. Within 5 minutes she had searched the desk of the person who signed for it a few days earlier and had my check in hand. She processed the plates and everything right there on the spot and gave them to me. I had been in search of someone with some compassion and competency and I had finally found her. I told her I would always come back to her for my vehicles in the future!

Then the story went from good to incredible. I noticed that the check was for too much money. I asked about that. Apparently the dealer made me overpay on registration fees. I knew that at the time but basically there was nothing the dealer was willing to do about it. I thought I overpaid by about $300. The lady at the DMV explained how it was actually by over $800. She asked if I would like that money to go back to the dealer or if they should just issue me a check for the difference. Ill let you be the judge of which one i picked.

After all was said and done I wrote several people at the dealership to inform them of what had happened. I explained how PlateCo had sent out a blank check from the dealership and how the lady was rude and lied. I explained how irritated I was that I had to take care of this myself instead of letting the company that I paid $200 to care for the matter. I got no response. Go figure.

The moral of the story. Don't trust anything that you are told until you see the proof with your own eyes. Had I believed what anyone had told me then I wouldn't have known better. But I kept asking, kept pushing, and kept demanding information until the truth came out.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What an ordeal!!! I'm glad you finally got it resolved without having to resort to a lawyer. Almost as bad as United Airlines lately. I think some businesses (or at least some employees) think they have too many customers.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Joshua, I believe it is time to do unto others as they have done unto you. Between the overcharging for the paperwork and the crappy service and attitude I would slam them across every category on the customer service survey.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's with the US auto regulation bureaucracy too: why the heck is this "situation normal"? It makes no sense to me, this concept of delayed registration.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our tax dollars at work. (n)